what to do when there is hunters on the pond????/skunked fishing

skinny

I'm sure enough, in response to the specific quote. You're reading all kinds of things into the scenario that just aren't there. That may be what got you into lecture mode.

Again the quote:

Let's make this even more hunting specific. I'm out bird hunting and I happen across a deer hunter and stop to chat.

"You're out for deer? What area are you covering?"

"From the hydro line over to the big swamp."

"OK, I'm out for birds, and I'll make sure to stay out of your way. Good luck"

What's a CO going to charge me with?

I would assume since your both hunting, you'd both have licenses, therefore, no worries about anything. The specific quote was referring to non hunting persons, talking with hunters, not hunters talking with hunters. Apples and oranges. I'm not here to argue, or lecture, and honestly, I could give a rats ass what anyone thinks. I know what I'm doing, and I play by the rules when it comes to waterfowl. I know what I'd do if I was hunting and a fisherman got a little close, and I have had it happen many times. Not once have things gone sour. I'm not out to wreck someones day of fishing, and I give fisherman the benifit of doubt when they get close to my set up. 99% of the time they keep thier distance, the other 1% just don't know any better, so a friendly chat clears things up. I could run circles around the guys fishing and spook all the fish, but why would anyone do that???

If we were to read into the acts word for word, there are way too many grey areas that could lead to a charge. Most of them require the use of common sense..........which seems to be lacking these days.

S.

MrEh, the fella's that fired shot in your direction are 10% of hunters that make the other 90% of us look bad. I would NEVER fire a shot in the direction of a boat. I don't care if they're 10 yds, or 100yds from me. Those are the same guys who think they can kill ducks at 100yds, shoot birds they can't retrieve, and probably break a few other rules too. There are bad apples in every group, its the 10% of idiots who wreck it for the rest of us. I hope it didn't ruin your day.

S.

It did not ruin my day this guy or guy's were back off the water there is a farm there and I know they were hunting just behind the cattails with no decoys in the water if I had sean them I would have gone over and talked with them. This area is also POSTED with signs saying baited area NO HUNTING of migratory birds I guess they were after crows. I should have taken a pic of the guys with the decoys set up right in front of the next sign down river.

I would not let them ruin my day unless it hit my boat then we would have had a bigger problem but that did not happen. I would also not let people like that give me the wrong idea of all hunters I know alot of the guys here and they are great and many very good friends are not fishing but hunting this time of year.

I would assume since your both hunting, you'd both have licenses, therefore, no worries about anything. The specific quote was referring to non hunting persons, talking with hunters, not hunters talking with hunters. Apples and oranges.

Then you have even less ground to stand on.

Again I ask, what charge would a CO lay against a fisherman talking with a hunter?

I'm not here to argue, or lecture, and honestly, I could give a rats ass what anyone thinks.

But you're willing to try to lecture me on giving out what you perceive to be falsehoods. :huh:

I know what I'm doing, and I play by the rules when it comes to waterfowl...

That's all fine and dandy, and I'm sure you are an ethical hunter. But for the specific quote which I pointed out was mistaken, you're out in left field. To be honest I'm still not sure what you're thinking, as you haven't attempted to explain how you envision that a fisherman talking to a hunter could be charged with anything.

Yes there are a few areas (not so gray) where you can be charged with co-operation - i.e. a non-native hunter assisting a native or Metis hunter in big-game hunting, for example. None of them apply in the instance we are discussing.

Nobody should be hunting in close proximity to where non-hunters routinely are (i.e. near houses, cottages, boat ramps, etc.)... period.

But just one point of clarification for non-hunters. A fact that all waterfowl hunters know is that spent pellets can shower down far from where the shot was fired (sometimes even on the hunters themselves if they shoot straight up at passing birds) but they are harmless.

Just a point of interest, if you stop and talk with a hunter some CO's will consider you part of the hunt and charge you if you don't have a license.

Thats not true you are allowed to stop and talk with a hunter, there is no CO in Ontario that will charge you license or not. To be charged with illegaly being part of the hunt the officer will need sufficient evidence to prove you were involved. Just talking with a hunter is not grounds enough to be charged with participation.

Anyway guys, we're usually done the hunt by 9:00 am at the latest, so cut us some slack during the short waterfowl season we'll be outa the way soon enough. The days we get an all day flight are days you don't want to be out there fishing, it needs to pretty nasty out to have the birds moving all day.

Edited by canadadude

Guest gbfisher
Yes there are a few areas (not so gray) where you can be charged with co-operation - i.e. a non-native hunter assisting a native or Metis hunter in big-game hunting, for example. None of them apply in the instance we are discussing.

We are not allowed to practice native hunting rights but we can hunt with natives in season. I do every year. We may not be able to practice their rights but we can help them retrieve animals they have taken. No matter what time of year. :)

Guest gbfisher
Thats not true you are allowed to stop and talk with a hunter, there is no CO in Ontario that will charge you license or not. To be charged with illegaly being part of the hunt the officer will need sufficient evidence to prove you were involved. Just talking with a hunter is not grounds enough to be charged with participation.

You can be charged with interfering with a hunt but it wouldn't happen if the hunters did not have any issue with the non hunter being there and just talking with them.

Even Co's will not enter a hunting situation but instead will wait till it is over.

You can be charged with interfering with a hunt but it wouldn't happen if the hunters did not have any issue with the non hunter being there and just talking with them.

Even Co's will not enter a hunting situation but instead will wait till it is over.

To be charged with interfering with a hunt stoping to talk to a hunter would not be considered a flagrant enough violation. To be carged with interfering in a hunt the person charged has to show intent, in other words the CO needs evidence that the violators intent was to disrupt a hunt, simply chatting with a hunter is not. On the other hand if you follow a hunter around and harass the hunter, this may be evidence enough for an interference charge.

We are not allowed to practice native hunting rights but we can hunt with natives in season. I do every year. We may not be able to practice their rights but we can help them retrieve animals they have taken. No matter what time of year. :)

I'm not going to say I'm right about this because my experience with it is limited. But I will say this...

A friend who has been part of our deer hunting group for years got his Metis status card a couple of years ago. He tells us we are not allowed to co-operate with him in deer hunting, nor he with us. We sometimes still hunt the same area at the same time but we do not camp together and he hunts completely separate from us now. As far as we know we are not even allowed to help him get a deer out of the bush that he has shot, nor have we done so.

I would suggest you check the regulations carefully again - and maybe talk to the MNR. But it's your call. For our part, we won't go near the situation with a ten-foot pole.

Guest gbfisher

Jockos..."I would suggest you check the regulations carefully again - and maybe talk to the MNR. But it's your call. For our part, we won't go near the situation with a ten-foot pole."

I have done just that. I know my rights and I know theirs as well.

Call Jay Jay at the Peterborough office. He can explain it all to you.

Your friend is half right. You can not hunt using his rights. You can help bring any animal out of the bush. The waste of meat gives him that right to ask for help. You just can;t shoot it is all. This is some what new legislation and has been interpreted wrong by many.

Its not me who needs explaining ..... ;) Dont let bad interpretation keep you from hunting with friends.

Edited by gbfisher

I have hunted plenty with non-status friends for moose for many years. I pondered the same question, as did many of my friends, so one day many years ago I asked the C.O. His reply was we can hunt all together as long as I do not "Push" the animal towards one of my non-status friends sitting on watch. This is in a sense acting as a hunt guide, of which you need a license to do. Hence, Licensed Guide Services of which I am not.

As for the Metis issue I would be handling that with kid gloves because it is a New situation, and the laws regarding hunting and fishing rights for Metis people is all new in the provincial courts. It is still "pardon the pun" trial and error. The Metis Nation of Ontario really has no authority in delegating the use of fish and game for its people. Unlike status indians with "Treaty Rights" these are adhered from the Federal Government. It is the feds who decide who is status and who is not under the "Indian Act" for which many First Nations people have a bit of a time comprehending.

Good Hunting or Fishing. (Denny Crane style)

Denny_Crane.jpg

Getting off track here.

The thread was about water fowl hunters and fisherman.

Lets just leave it at,,,,,,,,,LETS GET ALONG.

We love our sports and leave it at that.

Cant wait to sit in my stand Saturday FINALY.

Oh,if I see a guy flipping the weeds,I,ll be yelling at ya.HAHAHAHAHA

I have done just that. I know my rights and I know theirs as well.

Call Jay Jay at the Peterborough office. He can explain it all to you.

Your friend is half right. You can not hunt using his rights. You can help bring any animal out of the bush. The waste of meat gives him that right to ask for help. You just can;t shoot it is all.

OK, thanks, if you're that certain then it's worth me checking further. I didn't claim to be right on this issue; I merely laid out what my understanding is. If you're right, so much the better. I'll look into is some more.

This is some what new legislation and has been interpreted wrong by many.

Now that doesn't inspire me with a lot of confidence, since I've run across enough CO's who don't know the right interpretation of game laws either.

What you're saying is that a non-native and a native can hunt together so long as the non-native is complying with all the regulations that apply to him (open seasons, limits, etc.). And the non-native can't shoot a deer, for example, and then claim it's the native's deer.

But the whole thing opens up a big can of worms, and gives a CO lots to speculate about. (And when CO's speculate they like to lay charges, just to be sure.) :)

What about fishing? A non-native and a native are fishing together on Nipissing. They have over their limit in the boat and they have fish that fall within the slot size. The native says to the CO, "Those are my fish." What happens next?