what to do when there is hunters on the pond????/skunked fishing

skinny

Ok was out fishing today got on the pond at 730 ish I had met up with Ultyma316 for a morning of what was to be wild fish because this time of year they are just about jumping in the boats looking for food. Well not on the pond we were at we got skunked. we tossed out all kinds of stuff and I missed 2 fish. but never did get any on the hook .

when we got on the pond I realized there was some hunters out there so we headed towards the back of the pond where I thought was no hunters as we were going I had to go around a hunters decoy line which just about went all the way across the pond

then we headed towards the back corner and discovered another hunter so we stopped we were quite a ways away from him but I don't think he liked us there he eventualy yelled at us to find some other place to fish. we headed to the other side of the pond and fished there with no luck and I think not bugging anyone.

this brought up the question between us what is the right thing to do if you encounter hunters on a pond when fishing

Ok was out fishing today got on the pond at 730 ish I had met up with Ultyma316 for a morning of what was to be wild fish because this time of year they are just about jumping in the boats looking for food. Well not on the pond we were at we got skunked. we tossed out all kinds of stuff and I missed 2 fish. but never did get any on the hook .

Congratulations! You have just realized the great intangible in fishing....the fish. They don't read the articles that we do on fall fishing (otherwise known as fall fishing advertising).

We ran into the hunting thing a couple of weeks ago on Rice Lake. There was gunfire everywhere and every time you stopped the boat the calls would start. These guys blasted one about 100 yards from our boat. Then pumped about four more shells into it to get it to stop flapping (I think in the end it sunk from having about five pounds of lead in it).

I never felt in danger at anytime but they did have the tip of my favourite island covered and the mouth of the Ouse river.

Jim

When your fishing in hunting season make your self present by all means.An area I fish for browns I also hunt on the same day.I make a sign at the bridge, stating that there are hunters in the area within arms reach of the creek.no quarrels.Please wear your blaze orange outfits. Came across a father and son outside of delhi, All I heard was a russel in the bush, pointed the gun low and behold it was them and not a bunch of rabbits.no flippen orange on, just flippin cammo on.They were also hunting.This is not the way to teach our kids, the importance of making ourselves known to others and still respect other peoples areas.Just my 2 cents worth vinnimon

This is an ethical situation which ends up giving the right of way to the hunters. They were there hours before you setting up decoys and putting up there blinds. Lots of work involved...Also fisherman just being in the pond will ruin the bird hunters day because every bird that may come close enough to come into the decoys will turn away when they see the fisherman. Bird hunting(duck and geese)is a game of stealthy camouflage and calling in the birds as they show up on the scene. Granted it was probably to late until you noticed them there but the right thing to do would of been to exit the pond asap. If it was a larger lake you could of left the area but seeing it was a pond the right thing to do was to leave and fish somewhere else.

Cheers !!

You give the guys with the guns a wide berth...forget who has the right of way...LOL

Think of it this way - How would you deal with a skunk in yer tent? Or an alligator in yer pool?

It's hard to get any satisfaction outa being in the right while yer picking bb's outa yer butt.

JF

This is an ethical situation which ends up giving the right of way to the hunters. They were there hours before you setting up decoys and putting up there blinds. Lots of work involved...Also fisherman just being in the pond will ruin the bird hunters day because every bird that may come close enough to come into the decoys will turn away when they see the fisherman. Bird hunting(duck and geese)is a game of stealthy camouflage and calling in the birds as they show up on the scene. Granted it was probably to late until you noticed them there but the right thing to do would of been to exit the pond asap. If it was a larger lake you could of left the area but seeing it was a pond the right thing to do was to leave and fish somewhere else.

Cheers !!

Well said!!!

You had the pond to yourself all spring and summer. Now that it's hunting season, hunters have first dibs, especially if they were there before you were.

Hunting over decoys requires some undisturbed room. As a fisherman you actually have to keep away FURTHER away from a decoy set than other hunters in other blinds along the shore, because if you're tooling around in the open, while the hunters are all camo'ed and hidden, you will create such a distraction for waterfowl that any hunting on a whole pond or in a whole bay will be disrupted.

Granted it was probably to late until you noticed them there but the right thing to do would of been to exit the pond asap. If it was a larger lake you could of left the area but seeing it was a pond the right thing to do was to leave and fish somewhere else.

Cheers !!

I disagree, hunters shouldn't be hunting a pond in the first place, but if they were... I would give them clearance, but I wouldn't leave the water! I have just as much right to fish it as they do to hunt it!... and if I scare the birds away, well that's just one for the birds.. they'll make more babies next year for the hunters to shoot at!!! :P

Jocko Posted Today, 06:30 PM

You had the pond to yourself all spring and summer. Now that it's hunting season, hunters have first dibs, especially if they were there before you were... no, the knuckleheads that're hunting it now were fishing it until hunting season came in!!!

Hunting over decoys requires some undisturbed room. As a fisherman you actually have to keep away FURTHER away from a decoy set than other hunters in other blinds along the shore, because if you're tooling around in the open, while the hunters are all camo'ed and hidden, you will create such a distraction for waterfowl that any hunting on a whole pond or in a whole bay will be disrupted... that's just too bad!... the hunters need to get away from urban areas and go find a spot out in the wilderness were they don't have to worry about fishermen scaring the birds away

I see the Big Bad bird hunters on the lake I fish in the winter, it is a populated lake with many houses on it!... most of the waterfowl are tame on this lake and will come up to your boat for handout... they almost pets really!... would y'all like someone shooting you dog or cat in the name of the sport of hunting???

Hunters need to stick to wilderness areas, if for no other reason than if they accidently shoot someone it'll either be anouther hunter... or themelves!!!

Edited by GCD

I disagree, hunters shouldn't be hunting a pond in the first place, but if they were...

I see the Big Bad bird hunters on the lake I fish in the winter, it is a populated lake with many houses on it!... most of the waterfowl are tame on this lake and will come up to your boat for handout...

I can see we're talking apples and oranges. Where I live, the ponds are actually mostly swamp ponds, better for migratory stop-overs than fishing, and waterfowl hunting is generally done at considerable distances from populated areas, distances where the shots wouldn't even be heard. And no, the ducks and geese aren't tame; they're wary and hard to trick.

Even the situation which started this thread is unusual where I live, so it's hard to identify with your situation.

Think of those BIG BAD HUNTERS as anglers with a different kind of fishing rod. ;) Most of them ain't so big or so bad.

Edited by Jocko

I disagree, hunters shouldn't be hunting a pond in the first place, but if they were... I would give them clearance, but I wouldn't leave the water! I have just as much right to fish it as they do to hunt it!... and if I scare the birds away, well that's just one for the birds.. they'll make more babies next year for the hunters to shoot at!!! :P

Hunters need to stick to wilderness areas, if for no other reason than if they accidently shoot someone it'll either be anouther hunter... or themelves!!!

if people were hunting on a pond and you put your boat in disrupting their hunt you could be fined. many people dont understand that its against the law to disrupt any hunting activities and scaring birds away would fall under that category.

hunters need to stick to wilderness areas? many people hunt on big lakes as well as small back lakes and ponds where people also fish. hunters shouldnt hunt there because someone may want to wet a line there too?>

if people were hunting on a pond and you put your boat in disrupting their hunt you could be fined. many people dont understand that its against the law to disrupt any hunting activities and scaring birds away would fall under that category.

Uh, the exact same part of the Act applies to fishing as well. So how dare your hunting activities interfere with anybody that wants to fish the same pond!

Really common courtesy should just apply to how much elbow room you give a hunter, common courtesy generally being the range of #4 shot from the hunters location!

I've had a situation were anglers were actually beneficial on bigger water and respected the area of our set. They kept bumping into birds while fishing, keeping them moving long after they would have settled in for the day. Sometimes the birds they bumped would hit our spread :angel: