Fact or Fiction?

ADB

I don't mean to cause a stir or anything, but:

When I was younger I always heard that fishing shows would get permission from the MNR or whoever they needed to get permission from to film their shows before the season opened, that way they were "more likely" to catch better fish for the show.

Fact or fiction?

Edited by ADB

Sorry, it's true. Or atleast was, the MNR used to sell permits on the basis that the shows were "educational". Not sure if they still sell them as loosely as they used to but extended season & sanctuary fishing permits are still issued. Many TV shows get permits to allow them to fish areas of the Niagara that are closed to the average angler as an example.

Fiction

This is what Italo and Henry got in trouble for.

They claimed they thought they had permission but the MNR said No!

They tried to use a specific permit as a blanket permit to fish for anything anywhere anytime. I believe they had a permit for spring trout on Bronte before the season (which they were never charged with), but believed (or atleast argued) that would cover them for salmon, fishing bass, et al. Hank & Italo just got lazy and really abused the privileges given to almost every show at the time.

Dunno how widespread the practice is now.

I would have said fiction but after having seen the berkley/woo fiasco pre-fishing a tourney 4 days before the season opened this year, I'm not so sure anymore. You can bet that I will no longer buy their products.

Italo had shown up at dalhousie a few years ago to see what was going on, had a camera crew with him and no gear, we all left and went to niagara. Guess who showed up. who else.Found out later that he was fishing the niagara gorge later that day, and filmed a show,last time I tried to go down,I was told it was off limits to the general public.Maybe ill pay for a tour and bring a back packing rod.I guess membership has its privilages.As for educational reasons for fishing out of season, or in sanctuaries you know where that can be placed.His baby talking shows are ok for the kids,but we all know who the real fisherman is , you and I with our kids enjoying a day out .not some corporate BullWhy do you think henry went south?Cheers vinnimon and my 2 cents worth sorry, i just had to get it out .

hey did hank and italo have a falling out or something? Why do they have separate shows now? I tried google-ing it with no luck.

All about the money, I remember afterwards an article on Italo being a born again Christian and his new wife

( Sorry if I felt it was cheesy and low). Sorry, doesn't work for me. By the way, whatever happened to that OFNer who's Avatar had him arm and arm like they were good buds. I believe that he even made jigs that seemed to be advertised on the board here. Betcha he still here as an Alias.

So they been caught a few times, how many times have they done this without being caught?A guy today caught a bow, the hook was on the outer edge of its lips. he took the hook out and let it go.turned around to me and said, it never hit, its just floated by and stuck onto it. just my 2 cents worth.vinnimon

FYI, I was fishing caledonia(the grand river today). Two guys crossed the river with a lot of cases,I think theyre setting up for a show. the way they crossed the river and two heavy suit cases over there shoulders,and some gear,no rods to be seen,there not familiar with the area.Well i wounder who is shooting.If there going for bows good luck,if you seen my other replies you know whats going on in the river.good luck to them though.Ill see some picts next week. cheers vinnimon

Guest skeeter99

yes they are allowed to fish out of season, dont know if permit but they do have permossion

I know this from from a current shimano pro staffer

but that was at least 10 to 15 years ago not sure if it is still like that today

Edited by skeeter99

Skeeter99, I have never heard of this so unless I'm being kept totally in the dark there are no permits for such things. That's why we head down to New York for the smallies in the spring!

So let me get this,you go to New York to fish nesting or pre spawn bass

Did you know that females that are angled before spawning,their YOY or yearlings shown a 25% less growth rate than YOY/Yearlings that are hatched from non angled female bass

I'd check my Fishing ethics and Morales out if I were you

JPD,nothing personal but be very careful where you go with this,I do have very good Knowledge of fish behavior and scientific information that wont be in your best interest.

I am one who's involvement makes corrections to overlooked abused regulations practices

I dont consider myself a pro or a professional but I do consider myself a influential person when it comes to protecting the resource no matter what others think of me because the resources comes first.

That itself is what I stand for

you might want to read this(Roy please post the scientific info)

I'd say with my relationships and dealings with OMNR and QMNR (MNRF) they take protecting the resource very seriously and most decision are taken with the resource and general angling public in mind.

Most enjoyable and educational people to work with I must add

Roy dont worry about Ben Woo and B1,he has a new Pal and its me and QMNR

Looks like he might try it again in 2010 ,His first derby is June 20th and opener is the 19th

No wonder he calls it Wannabe the 1

Edited by marc thorpe

interesting read

I usually totally agree with Marc

taking bass off beds can't be a good thing

however....

it is legal in New York, therefor people have every right to do it

ethics and morals have nothing to do with it, that's a personal thing and everyone have their own set

the only true guideline is the law, fish within it...bottom line

if a reg. is unethical fight to change the regs.

you can and should also use or own ethics and morals if they fall within the law to guide your fishing

but at the same time not to judge or harass people who have a different set of ethics and morals that fall within the law

it never hurts to discuss your ethics and morals, to explain them but not to try to impose them..

and in the end you should try to get the regs/law changed, not harass people fishing within the law

TV fishing shows about sight fishing for bedding/spawning Bass are very popular and appeal to a large audience because it shows the viewers how to do it... it is Larry Nixons claim to fame!

I don't agree with the practice, nor do I participate... if I ever catch an 8 lber. it won't be because I snatched it off the bed!

So let me get this,you go to New York to fish nesting or pre spawn bass

Did you know that females that are angled before spawning,their YOY or yearlings shown a 25% less growth rate than YOY/Yearlings that are hatched from non angled female bass

I'd check my Fishing ethics and Morales out if I were you

JPD,nothing personal but be very careful where you go with this,I do have very good Knowledge of fish behavior and scientific information that wont be in your best interest.

I am one who's involvement makes corrections to overlooked abused regulations practices

I dont consider myself a pro or a professional but I do consider myself a influential person when it comes to protecting the resource no matter what others think of me because the resources comes first.

That itself is what I stand for

Wow, I really don't know what to say Marc :dunno: .. I really respect what you do in the industry but calling out my ethics and base line threatening me seems a bit much don't you think? I don't think I need to toot my own horn here either with what I try to give back to the sport that has given me so much in return...

Fishing Lake Erie in the spring is completely 100% legal and I am fishing pre spawn feeding fish in depths over 20 feet of water with water temps in the 40's. These fish are over a month away from heading into the shallows to spawn... typically the ice is only out for a week or two when we are out there. However, if I were to choose to sit on a nesting fish I am still 100% within the New York state law... they make them, I am abiding by them. Is it any different in Texas, Florida, California or other Southern States in February? Are all of the Elite Series or FLW Pro's morally unethical for participating in the events during the pre spawn or spawn? I don't think so at all... personally it really isn't my place to judge them since they are all well with in the limits of the set laws by local DNR agencies.

Like GCD said, one can very easily put together a show on fishing nests effectively but I choose not to for my own personal reasons... that again is my choice since my show also airs here and I am respecting the Canadian rules and regulations.

I have absolutely no interest in getting to an argument with you regarding this and I typically don't appreciate being judged by someone who really doesn't know me... I really think there are better ways to get your point across. I also understand you are frustrated with the B1 and what happened this year regarding the open season but please don't take this out on everyone who enjoys New York's early season fishery. I am not a scientist nor will I try to argue your statement about the YOY sizes... that may be true, I can't say but I do know how to read a regulations book and make sure that everything is well within the rules.

I hope you enjoy the rest of the season and maybe we can get a chance to meet at one of the shows in the winter and chat.

Best regards

JP

...and in the end you should try to get the regs/law changed, not harass people fishing within the law

Only we're not talking about laws or regulations, in Ontario we're talking about appointed (anointed?) public servants bending regulations for the personal & commercial benefit of a select few.

Citation, please?

edit; And I think you are out of line for chastising someone for acting within their legal rights. If you have an issue with fishing for prespawn bass in New York, you should take it up with the appropriate regulatory authority. Most US states permit prespawn fishing for bass.

Edited by Burning Babies

BTW... I agree it was a great read and I actually had a conversation about the studies done on Lake Opinicon with Dr. Bruce Tufts on the weekend while we were visiting the Queen's research facility. Bruce has been making incredible strides in improving the fish handling in tournaments by developing the Shimano Water Weigh in System and we did some great Q&A's for the the new WFN Show, Green. We talked about a bunch of interesting topics that will be of interest to everyday anglers and got the science behind the fishing... the test study on the spawning fish is actually something that we had discussed while fishing together.

Very impressive studies going on there and I look forward to some great improvements to the current system.

JP