The Final 2 Reel Picks

MCTFisher9120

Ok ok, so I have been doing more reading and well I am down to 2 reels now and both are at a max within my budget.

I brought it down to the Shimano Citica and the Quantum Kinetic PT-both baitcasters and I need 2 reels.

So, it's either 1 of each perhaps the Burner for the 7 rod of mine(spinnerbaits, frogs, jigs) and the Citica with the slower speed for the 6'6 rod that i have(cranks,jerkbaits,light soft plastics)

I know lot's of people like the Citica but I'm not sure if I would like the different break system in the reel. Again, this is MAX in my budget. Would love to hear if the 2 different reels would be the way to go of if I should get 2 reels of the same make/model.

IMO The Kinetic PT looks more promising but what do I know.

Feedback please,

Thanks MTBF

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

Any particular rush? I personally would like to have for the most part all the same reels, the tried and true thing. Reel retrieve ration can be a bit over rated, caught far more fish with a slow to medium retrieve than a super fast one, I get get as fast as I will probably ever need with a reel in the 6 to 1 ratio, I have used a lot of baitcasters far slower than that.

Always an Abu Garcia man once I started buying my own reels in the 60`s, that changed in the later 70`s, some issues with some Abu reels, a better selection of left hand retrieve reels by the new kids in town (Shimano) gave me a mix. Might just be a personal choice but every bait caster I own is Abu or Shimano, I don`t know any one personally that has Quantum`s or any other brand used as much as mine were that are still happy with them.

I do have some dated reels, 70`s 80`s 90`s, no problems with them and even if I was still fishing as much as the old days no need to switch.

Buy one, try it out thoroughly and if you like it buy another, better than buying 2 different models or brands at once and having issues with one. If one gets old or breaks it leaves you with a parts reel, although most models tend to have the same problems with breakage or wear.

i have 2 citicas, and i will be getting a kinetic in the not to distant future. quantum makes quality reels, i own several, and have no complaints, they have a great warrenty, and are easy to deal with, shimano was too much of a hassel for my liking. quantum has a deal on rite now too, when u buy a reel, u can mail away for free stuff. i believe the kinetic gets you either a free spool of flourocarbon line, or a free BASS membership. new or renewal. which is nice to have for the tourney eligibility or just for the magazine subscription and the bonus materials u can view online.

the citicas are nice reels, but i like the styling of the quantums far better. and just overall like to performance of the quantums.

however, for $20 bucks more, u could step up to the catalyst PT reel. just somethin to think about.

Edited by uglyfish

there is a Daiwa hsta reel for sale in the OFC classifieds (user JCHUA) asking $140 spooled with line, this reel sells for $180 or more in the stores, a great deal in my opinion. I would buy this daiwa and the Citica. I love my daiwa reels.

I would go with citica the braking system is truly a set it and forget it system you put 2 out 4 in and just adjust spool tension for different weight lures it's the same system in the curado's and you can cast with NO THUMB without birds nests and I'm not exaggerating there I don't adjust mine at all I just keep it set for light lures and use my thumb more unless I'm throwing big spinnerbaits ar bucktails for pike so I don't go to the backing when casting .

So, it's either 1 of each perhaps the Burner for the 7 rod of mine(spinnerbaits, frogs, jigs) and the Citica with the slower speed for the 6'6 rod that i have(cranks,jerkbaits,light soft plastics)

Feedback please,

Thanks MTBF

Hey Mike.... I have been following your thread and just saw the above noted.... (I am looking in to bait-casters as well)

I was told that I would need a "bait-caster reel" as well....

This is because of the way the line comes off the bait-caster.. flat .. vs a spinning reel... looped.

If u already knew this and have the new rods already.... sorry to bug ya.... but if ya don't .. .well then u are gonna need another Christmas present B)

Edited by splashhopper

Hey Mike.... I have been following your thread and just saw the above noted.... (I am looking in to bait-casters as well)

I was told that I would need a "bait-caster reel" as well....

This is because of the way the line comes off the bait-caster.. flat .. vs a spinning reel... looped.

If u already knew this and have the new rods already.... sorry to bug ya.... but if ya don't .. .well then u are gonna need another Christmas present B)

What? Yes I have 2 baitcast rods...just going to be getting the reels now. Want to get lot's of pratice in before next season. Want to be at the top of my game lol.

:huh:

some information over load

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanocitica200e.html

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanocitica200d.html

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=36457

http://reviews.basspro.com/2010/74150/reviews.htm

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewquantumenenergyptpower.html

Man I'm confused with the Quantum line up. WHATS THE DIFFERENCE between, Kinetic, Energy, Tour and any other PT reel?, Damn advertising.

I would stick with my Ambassador, but if I had your choice, the Shimano is proven.