Early Morning Thanksgiving Steelhead Report

ccmtcanada

Well, it seems we got enough done yesterday to allow me to head out to the tribs this morning...we are hosting Thanksgiving dinner at our place this afternoon...so I had to be back in good time. I figured wake up at 5...fish in the dark for a while, watch the sun come up, then head home around 8am.

I got there, and it was cold out....brrrr....frost lined the grass everywhere...even had to scrape it off the windshield before I left the house. I set up, put my glow stick on my float and began drifting. One good thing about pre sunrise fishing is that there was no one else around...to me fishing in peace and catching a few is better than catching a lot and being crowded in any fishing hole.

Before too long, my float goes down and I set the hook. I feel the weight...it's a GOOD sized fish!!! Suddenly, it's gone. I reel in and see that the leader broke...strange...it wasn't fighting that hard at the time it broke off. Maybe the line rubbed on a rock I'm thinking. I know there's good sized fish here at least. About 10 minutes later, the float goes down again! I feel the weight and it's another BIG one!! ONe jump out of the water and again, the leader snaps near the hook. I'm thinking maybe I need new leader material...this one is a few years old now.

Anyhow, at least the fish were there. Caught lots of smaller ones around this size....

steelie3.jpg

steelie1-1.jpg

Caught a nice what I call "grocery store" sized fish as well....

steelie2.jpg

It sure is nice to be able to creek fish again. Seeing that float go down, setting the hook and feeling the weight of a fish is always a thrill. I'll never get tired of that!!!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone...hope everyone has a great day today...and remembers everything they are thankful for...I know I am.

I'm sorry Cliff, but I had to chuckle when I read this line:

I'm thinking maybe I need new leader material...this one is a few years old now.

... ya think??? ;)

Those fish may not be real big.. but they are real purdy!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

I used to use a bobber for Crappies and would stare at that thing all day for the bite that pulls it under, I'd stare at it so much... it would be all I could see at night when I closed my eyes to go to sleep! :lol:

Thanks for taking the time to post!... and I hope you and your family have a very Happy Thanksgiving!!! *insert Turkey emoticon here*

btw... try stripping off a few meters of leader material from your spool and see if the inner line is stronger.

Edited by GCD