Fall Perch Hunting

rhare

The fall is a great time on Simcoe to grab some light rods and head out after perch. The bait has really pushed in the last week and some bigger perch are starting to show. We had a blast yesterday working a jigging spoon and drop shot program. Drop shotting different small plastic's produced some really nice fish.

Changing things up was key to keep the action steady. When the spoons would slow of a second, a quick switch to a drop shot would quickly turn the bite back on. Perch are such a curious creature :P

I'm always surprised at how much fun perch are on ultra-light rods, some of the bigger ones even took drag.

For the most part the fish averaged in the 10" range with a few fatter ones around 12"-13".

tightlines

Ryan Hare

102_1900.jpg

102_1902.jpg

Nice pics.

My brother (bassassin), myself took my two step sons out for their first fishing trip yesterday for Simcoe perch. It was slow going for the first two hours but then we found them. Between the four of us we landed well over 125 perch, ranging from 4 inch dinks to a few 14 inchers. To quote the youngest one as he described the day to his mom, it was the best day of my life.... can't put a price on that.

James

Nice job ryan. I am out there tomorrow morning again. I use the exact same thing; Jigging spoons and drop shot plastics. Surprised you didn't get any smallies. I am actually going to target smallies tomorrow. There must be a million perch out there because if your lure is down for more than a minute without a hit then it must not be running right or it has weeds on it.

Hey Chris.... give the little woody a try tomorrow will ya ;)

Sorry Ryan, didn't mean to hijack your thread :blush:

Leechman

i will. but i need to fish in shallower. I am catching fish in 30'. I will try trolling it for a bit nearer to shore. Here is what I will do. I will run a weight about 2ft in front and make it sink down. I desperately want to catch something on it. I will try tomorrow.

i will. but i need to fish in shallower. I am catching fish in 30'. I will try trolling it for a bit nearer to shore. Here is what I will do. I will run a weight about 2ft in front and make it sink down. I desperately want to catch something on it. I will try tomorrow.

Right on Chris :thumbsup_anim:

Will be keeping an eye out for report :clapping:

J