ICE FISHING KAWARTHAS

johnnybanff

Hey there guys, not too sure if this is a stupid question or not, but heading back from a few year absence to Ab., gonna be living up in Coboconk and was wondering if anyone knows whether or not ice fishing is permitted in the area. I obviously know Beaverton is close, but Im gonna be right on the lake (Balsam) and am wondering what the chances of backdoor angling opportunities are? (no pun intended).

ANy help greatly appreciated, thanx in advance, and if anyone up that way is looking for a partner anytime to hit the ice, drop me a pm! :Gonefishing:

• 1 month later...

Well you can starting Jan. 01, 2010!

...and made some restrictions for the better to boot! Now we just need some hard enforcement year round and maybe fish (walleye) populations will return to numbers of years past. I grew up in Peterborough and the lakes and rivers aren't the same today.

Muskie populations seem higher than I remember though. Most people just catch and release them anyway, but they do suffer higher than average post release mortality rate.

The year-round Pike fishing isn't a big deal since there aren't many lakes with Pike... I've always found this strange since most lakes that surround the tri-lake area has pike.

Maybe they don't like the coon-tail.

It is going to be an intersting winter on Balsam. I'll be down in south bay looking for pan fish....there are not too many pike in South Bay...yet. I think since it has never been fished in winter it may be hard to find them. I'm not sure whether to run and gun or throw a hut out.

Everyone be careful as ice conditions are different on each lake. The safe sledders know where to run...but different for ice fisherman venturing to a winter lake for the first time.

BL

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsF...age/264442.html

Here is a link to the regulation changes.

Pike in Balsam may be easier to catch in the winter as they tend to inhabit shallow areas in the winter. Will be a nice bonus to hook a 10lb pike when looking for 10 inch crappie. :D

Edited by Michael Brown

I think it will be an interesting year -last year I asked multiple groups on big bald lake (sec 17) if you could ice fish - knew your could not but coolers were full (walleye and crappie) - will making it legal maybe mean we get some scrutiny. I apologise i should have reported I know - interesting question will making it legal lead to more people which could get rid of these guys?