Heading to Mayan Riviera Mexico, anyone know of a fishing charter in the area>?

fcm420

Hey all,

I'm heading off to Mexico to get married in the start of November...

While im there I was thinking of getting my groomsmen and best man out for a short fishing excursion...

We'll be at the Grand Bahia PRincipe Akumal resort in the Mayan Riviera, Mexico.. about 30 minutes outside of paya del carmen.

If anyone has any information on some fishing options out there, shoot me a msg or reply to this post.

Any helps greatly appreciated!

I did the exact same thing a few years ago for my groomsmen.

I got a charter out of Playa Del Carmen, to me, it sucked. Never caught a fish, well one small mackeral. At one point the guides started going nuts and yelling in spanish to each other, so I think there might of been one marlin around. It was quite expensive. Afterwards we were hearing we would of been better off fishing off of Cozumel. A short ferry across from Playa. Probably the same price, but better fishing I hear.

Edited by Harrison

Hey all,

I'm heading off to Mexico to get married in the start of November...

While im there I was thinking of getting my groomsmen and best man out for a short fishing excursion...

We'll be at the Grand Bahia PRincipe Akumal resort in the Mayan Riviera, Mexico.. about 30 minutes outside of paya del carmen.

If anyone has any information on some fishing options out there, shoot me a msg or reply to this post.

Any helps greatly appreciated!

I have a friend who lives in Akumal. If you can't get anything from the group here let me know and I'll get in touch with him. He's a professional cave diver (in case you want to explore some cenotes underwater) and he's a spearfisherman if you want to swim down 100 -150' on one breath of air and spear your dinner. :P

He knows all the locals. In fact he probably taught some of them english at the school he runs. I'm sure Fred would have a good idea of who to hook up with for some long lining or flats fishing.

JF

I did a special one-day all-inclusive bonefishing (on the fly) trip with Pesca Maya Lodge. They come and pick you up from you hotel and drop you off. It's about 2 hours south on Ascenscion Bay. World-class bonefishing and the lodge is top rate with guides who do everything from tying your leaders to spotting the bones and permit (and maybe tarpon). Lunch included and you go out in 18 foot pangas with 50hp motors.

Unfortunately my day was very windy and I only landed 2 bones. Had about 20 shots at them. Was a great learning experience as it takes a lot of skill spotting bones in the flats.

Was pricey though. $450 for the day, plus $100 for the van ride, plus $50 tip. That was USD back 4 year ago!

Go to www.puertomorelosfishing.com The ladies name is Kathy and she runs Diving Dog Tours and run out of PuertoMorelos, a little town about 12KM from Playa Del Carmen.When you go to the site, click on Trolling-yours truly is the 2ND pic with my sailfish( which was released) I also landed a few dolphin/Mahi ? which the crew filleted.Their rates are on the site. Hope this helps and congrats on your wedding.

Go to www.puertomorelosfishing.com The ladies name is Kathy and she runs Diving Dog Tours and run out of PuertoMorelos, a little town about 12KM from Playa Del Carmen.When you go to the site, click on Trolling-yours truly is the 2ND pic with my sailfish( which was released) I also landed a few dolphin/Mahi ? which the crew filleted.Their rates are on the site. Hope this helps and congrats on your wedding.

If you're gonna go up there use the public bus system. It's excellent. You can run up and down the coast for peanuts. It goes right into downtown Cancun at the north end. I'm not sure why you'd wanna go there but it works, and they have very modern terminals at Playa del Carmen and Cancun. At the smaller places they drop you off on the highway and you have to walk in. Dunno how far it is from the highway into Pureto Morelos. I can give you a name of a guy I used to dive with who now runs a shop there. He could at least tell you how far it is from the highway. They say there's a very nice reef just offshore there. It used to be a fishing town but now it's all about snorkelling and diving.

JF