looking to buy a new baitcasting reel

skinny

with in the next month I'm hoping to buy a new baitcast reel. the one I have was a gift and used well .I'm not sure it has all been working the way it should it's a magnetic type and I have set it up according to what people have told me and or videos I have seen . I still have lots of issues with it . I will set it up test it then cast and check again and the lure will just drop fast so re adjust and then cast it and test and the lure won't drop. anyway I have messed with it for too long. I think I want to try a new reel once and for all and if I can' get a grip I will forget baitcast reels.

so looking for suggestions on what to buy and i think I might only have around 100.00 to spend

and the VBS system seems to be interesting

any suggestions

As irishfield said. read.. and read..

Did that in last years and my favorite is:

* Shimano Curado 207E (left hand) - forget the righ hand

I have 2 of them and a Pfluger Supreme.

After 1 years of using them I am OK.

Bring an old one to BassPro in Feb-March (discount sale event).

You cand get 20% off the price. The price is around $200.

The BassPro in 70 reviews give a 4.9 score from 5.0 That is close to perfection.

Shimano Curado was Voted 'Best of All' New Products at ICAST 2008

Ask Santa to chip in $100 in December and go for Curado in Spring.

Edited by Gogu

I agree with everyone here, don't give up with the baitcaster!

Practice, practice, practice! I just got into baitcasters not too long ago and I have learned to fall in love with them!

I'm a Shimano fan boy, I own a Citica and 2 Curados, but for a decent baitcaster closer to your budget I would recommend the Citica.

If you don't want to upgrade in the future and have the money, go for the Curado. It's a little more refined.

However I talked to the staff working at the fishing department, they said the 6 pin brakes are a little more durable than the magnetic brake over a long period of time. But who knows, it comes down to whatever you are comfortable with.

Good luck bud.

-Tinson

Shimano Citica 200E, great reel at a decent price. Have 2 of them and very happy with the quailty of it, overall a great product and easy to land all types of fish. I have caught bass, walleye, pike and musky with it.

Dirk

Have you ever tried checking out Cabela's the got awsome deals on baitcasters and combos or bass pro shop... you mite find the deal you are searching for... don't worry about the shipping cost's or if you have a chance go to one of there stores you will be happy you went..

you can't catch fish if your line isn't in the water.... :thumbsup_anim:

Save up another 100 bucks and you'll have many more options available to you, around 200bucks for a baitcaster, you can't go wrong with any at that price point. Whether it's shimano, abu, quantum, etc... You do get what you pay for when it comes to reels, spend a bit less on the rod and more on the reel, you won't regret it.

If you are seriously going to use a baitcaster....go with the CuradoE. If you are a bit less serious, then the CiticaE is the one to buy. If you eventually want to get rid of them, they are real easy to sell. Most of my baitcasters were bought "used" on Ebay and I haven't regretted buying any of them. I have even sold a few of the lower quality ones for a slight profit.

Edited by Dabluz

You should look at the Tica Reel series it is a great bang for the buck. They are available from tica reel at all american outdoors .This reel I have 4 of for 3 years and have pulled in over 1000 lbs of catfish some as big as 56 lbs with no issues. Chris has one that is 2 series higher and he so far has been very happy with them. They also are Canadian friendly and was/is a sponsor of OFC.

Art