Fishing Wales

irishfield

How much does it cost?

Prices for 2009/10 rod licences — valid from 1 April 2009 to 31 March 2010

Non-migratory trout, char, freshwater fish(coarse fish) and eels. Salmon & migratory trout, non-migratory trout, char, freshwater fish (coarse fish) and eels

Full season (expires 31 March 2010) £26.00..........................................£70.00

Junior Concession £5.00..........................................................£5.00

Senior Concession £17.25..........................................................£46.50

Disabled Concession £17.25.........................................................£46.50

8 day £9.50................................................................£22.50

1 day £3.50..................................................................£7.75

So about $130cdn for a one year sport license is what it comes down to and these are for residents. Can't find a non-resident list..but I know a day on the water is gonna cost large for a guide, license and gear....... but ya only live once !! :D

Note you can fish with two rods in Wales for coarse fish (that includes Pike).. and if you want to use 4 rods you buy two licenses!!

GB... Leave some Muskie for me, for when I get back !! :D

Edited by irishfield

I see it's a lot cheaper if you don't fish migratory salmon and trout, almost 1/3 the price. Hope our MNR doesn't pick up on that.

Edit: that didn't come out right. Should have worded it " I see it is a lot more expensive if you fish migratory salmon and trout , almost 3X the price"

Edited by dave524

Sometimes I think that licence fees should be higher and applicants should have to pass a test to prove basic knowledge of the regulations and maybe even the concept of conservation. That's probably a bad idea...I have little confidence that the government would do it right. It's just that the resource is so precious and yet we allow anyone with $20 to "have at it".

You'll have ticket fees on top of that to fish anywhere, you can't just walk up to a river and start fishing, that goes for the whole UK. You can see why I'm still like a kid in a candy shop with all the opportunities over here!!!!

Prices are the same for non-residents, there's no distinction - if you're only going for vactaion, get an 8 dayer or even dailys depending on how much fishing you're planning, you can get it all done online and they'll give you a reference number, not an actual license http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homea...hing/31497.aspx

Where abouts in Wales are you going?

Edited by cuzza

Thanks cuzza... already been on there via "fishing wales" website...where I've printed out a few guides phone numbers etc so if it works into our schedule I can get out for some fly fishing.

I'll be staying in Talygarn (Cardiff for all intensive purposes). Hopefully not that far to have a guide pick me up and take me to the Wye river area or such.

Guess I'd better get packed... need to hit the road for the airport soon.

Cool - have fun :)

If you have a car and don't fancy shelling out for guided salmon fishing, look up Shimano Felindre Fishery. About 45 minutes drive from Cardiff and has some big rainbows in it, most fisheries will be able to lend you some gear (I'd epect that a fishery owned by Shimano definitely will!!!) but worth calling first, unfortunately trout season is over on the rivers and browns in lakes have to go back, no close season on rainbows though!

Yah I hear you Roy! Kids aren't too pleased with the timing thinking they could all come home for a good thanksgiving meal..... and we've heard that my brother and s-in-law go with the Welsh way as way.. and didn't prepare a thanksgiving meal when my Mother and sister were over there a few years back. Guess we'll find out... now can I take that Turkey as carry on or does it have to be stowed luggage??? Alive... or should it be dead?? :D

Thanks guys! Other than the first days Jet lag.. having a great time. Think today has us now up to 7 pubs so far...so we're doing just fine! :D:lol: Currently in England staying at my Brother's friend John's...that was his Herc navigator during the Gulf War, as my brother had flying assignments out of Glasgow, Scotland this weekend. We are off to Wales tomorrow..

Isn't a lot of the trout water over there owned by fishing clubs?

Some of it is. I was a member of a club in Scotland which had 5 lochs as "their" water. As a member you can fish it anytime in season, but they still give out daily permits for non-members, about 5-10 GBP per day. Salmon rivers are very expensive to fish, and without a ghilly (guide), you got little to no chance of catching anything. You might catch parrs from the previous years hatch, but the big fish are real hard to find and impossible to get to hit. Most people fly fish. I like the way the waters are controlled in Scotland. If you want to fish, cough up the dough, minimizes the "casual" angler mentality if you get my drift.

Sometimes I think that licence fees should be higher and applicants should have to pass a test to prove basic knowledge of the regulations and maybe even the concept of conservation. That's probably a bad idea...I have little confidence that the government would do it right. It's just that the resource is so precious and yet we allow anyone with $20 to "have at it".

Kind of like letting any foreign company with $20-billion "have at" our country's nickel and energy deposits.