Incredible Moose Hunting Video

TJQ

A hole is a hole weather it's a bullet or an arrow. Same end result. It isn't for everyone or understood either.

Would it have been humane to shoot it again? More certain? It was a double lung shot. Wasn't going far.

Truth is, with an arrow it has no idea anything is wrong. It sure didn't feel that razor sharp arrow passing right through.

There's a ton of misunderstanding I guess if you haven't done it personally.

More humane? I never understood this arguement... it's an animal... the creator put it on this earth to be consumed.. Go to a slaughter house and see how "humane" your steak is being treated..

whether it dies instantly or within 2 minutes, what's the diff? please, enlighten me

Great video TJ. Thanx for putting that up. The guy waited until he had a perfect shot and placed the arrow right were it counted. Takes a lot of nerve and patience to do that,take it from a fellow hunter. The urge to take a shot before its time is almost overwhelming in these situations especially with a big animal in front of you like this bull.

Cheers !!

What changed your mind ?

Just asking.

Just a personal choice.

They are beautiful animals.

I lived in Red Lake for twenty years and saw a lot of moose in my travels and a lot of moose killed. I guess I saw too many killed and the general attitudes of a lot of hunters after killing them turned me off to hunting them.

heres a question for you folks that are up to date on bowhunting. I have bowhunted (not in maybe 10yrs) taken a few deer with the bow and have seen they variation in time til expiration with solid shot placements. My bow is probably 15 yrs old by this point and shoots aluminum arrows 125 grain tips.

To my question, is there a possibilty that the use or lighter, faster carbon arrows and 100 grain tips makes for less shock? I know the penetration of modern setups seem to be much better. Has it been determined that this higher speed, smaller projectile is preferred for hunting or does a higher IBO rating sells more bows?

I was at the archery range a month ago testing satillite tags deployment and saw guys shooting new bows. Can you quiet them down at all or do you count on speed to beat the "string jump" Seems like my old bow was far quieter.

Animals are stronger than you think RicK. Even a 30 06 through the same spot would take the same time to go down not to mention that they can go a good distance before expiring. Only a Neck, head or spine shot would drop it in its tracks. Even with a heart shot they can go on stream for a bit.

That's why I say to myself when they show..."BAG "O" MEAT".........BANG!......No waste and they drop. :)

I wanted the same thing when I took my first shot at an animal...I kept shooting. There was no bag "O" meat left...... :blush:

I have seen a heart shot drop a moose in its tracks...the neck shot is a shot you do not take!!! The chance of hitting the spine in the next is very poor...

Great vid...those bow hunters did everything perfect in my books...from patience, to patience, more patience, and then perfect shot, then more patience, and even more patience while it expired. A lot of respect was shown and even heard to that moose in that video.

heres a question for you folks that are up to date on bowhunting. I have bowhunted (not in maybe 10yrs) taken a few deer with the bow and have seen they variation in time til expiration with solid shot placements. My bow is probably 15 yrs old by this point and shoots aluminum arrows 125 grain tips.

To my question, is there a possibilty that the use or lighter, faster carbon arrows and 100 grain tips makes for less shock? I know the penetration of modern setups seem to be much better. Has it been determined that this higher speed, smaller projectile is preferred for hunting or does a higher IBO rating sells more bows?

I was at the archery range a month ago testing satillite tags deployment and saw guys shooting new bows. Can you quiet them down at all or do you count on speed to beat the "string jump" Seems like my old bow was far quieter.

In the archery world SPEED KILLS. With an arrow your not killing with SHOCK, you are killing by slicing organs. Faster arrows produce flatter trajactories which means more room for error in judging shot distance. You can add string silencers , limb savers , shock absorbing stabilizer bars to reduce noise of the bow. I am shooting a bowtech 101st ariborne shooting 340 fps !!!!! It makes a little more noise than my old goldeneagle shooting 270fps but I think that the differance in speed makes up for the string noise.

I am shooting a bowtech 101st ariborne shooting 340 fps !!!!! It makes a little more noise than my old goldeneagle shooting 270fps but I think that the differance in speed makes up for the string noise.

Yes the speed does make up the dif.

My new sidewinder,315fps crossbow, makes a louder then norm sound on release,but by the time the deer hears it,the arrow has already done it,s job.

They make them so fast these days.

Thanks guppy. I respect your ways.

Im sure there,s a time ,we all go there.

Guest gbfisher
I have seen a heart shot drop a moose in its tracks...the neck shot is a shot you do not take!!! The chance of hitting the spine in the next is very poor...

Great vid...those bow hunters did everything perfect in my books...from patience, to patience, more patience, and then perfect shot, then more patience, and even more patience while it expired. A lot of respect was shown and even heard to that moose in that video.

No shot is hard at 5 yards standing still. Head shots and ones right below the ear/neck/spine are good. Lights out.

I should have said I've seen a few animals hit in the heart that ran up to 1/2 mile.

My point was that most animals do not hit the ground and die right away. Its usually not instantaneous.

Andy....my Doe last year, 20 yards away, slug shot, double lung shot and destroyed the heart, thing still ran 50 yards and stood there for a while wondering what just happened:)

My bull last year, 250 yards with my 300 Win Mag, double lung shot, decided to go swimming in the water after the shot, got him turned around in the middle of the lake by firing two shots near him, swam back to shore, stood up and dropped.

I've seen moose drop instantly, deer drop instantly but not really that common....