Incredible Moose Hunting Video

TJQ

damn.....I only made it to pg13...seriously though where can I find it not on here...can't seem to watch videos for the past couple of months...must have done something to the fuser during a 'period of enlightenment'....

and by the way IMHO a skilled shot wether blades or lead will drop an animal...if its a chicken in the bush with a blunt point to the noggin, or a massive bull on a shore line witha 4 bladed retractable Muzzy...

Its gonna fall.

At that point its a matter of the tracking skills to get the meat to the freezer....

as was mentioned 'meats meat'!

IT SNOWED HERE TODAY!!!! BIG BLACK CRITTERS GOIN DOWN!

Good luck too all.

A hole is a hole weather it's a bullet or an arrow. Same end result. It isn't for everyone or understood either.

Would it have been humane to shoot it again? More certain? It was a double lung shot. Wasn't going far.

Truth is, with an arrow it has no idea anything is wrong. It sure didn't feel that razor sharp arrow passing right through.

There's a ton of misunderstanding I guess if you haven't done it personally.

The double lung shot - certain for sure. I was referring to the shots that miss a bit. Have seen a lot of deer with broken arrows in them. Everyone has.

Assumed a bullet drops the animal much faster. Maybe i'm wrong though - have never seen a large animal shot with a gun either (just birds).

And that said, maybe the arrow is more humane....if you don't get it just right, the animal doesn't necessarily die (the way it usually does iwth a bullet).

btw - sorry for derailing the thread. Its a very cool video, and i'm the first to dig in to a nice venison steak (am yet to taste moose). I am not against hunting.

The double lung shot - certain for sure. I was referring to the shots that miss a bit. Have seen a lot of deer with broken arrows in them. Everyone has.

Assumed a bullet drops the animal much faster. Maybe i'm wrong though - have never seen a large animal shot with a gun either (just birds).

And that said, maybe the arrow is more humane....if you don't get it just right, the animal doesn't necessarily die (the way it usually does iwth a bullet).

btw - sorry for derailing the thread. Its a very cool video, and i'm the first to dig in to a nice venison steak (am yet to taste moose). I am not against hunting.

How many deer do you consider a lot?I live in an area with more deer per sqare mile than most places.I have been hunting for a very long time.I help my buddy out butchering deer in the fall,we cut up hundreds of deer a year.I have seen only one deer come in with an arrow broken off in it.The blade was wedged in the top of its shoulder blade.I have never seen one walking around with an arrow broken off in him.Either we have much more ethical hunters here who dont take sketchy shots(I doubt it)or you are reading too many P3TA fliers(I suspect this is the case).

Joe

I have shot Deer, Moose and Bear with my Bow, and all have expired within minutes (if that) and not travelled far at all.

The one thing that is critical when hunting with a bow or a gun is shot placement! In order to get a good clean kill you need to hit the vitals. Just a little info for you, with an animal that is shot with a bow they will expire due to massive hemorrhaging from the 1"-2" cut through the cavity. With gun shot they will expire due to the shock and hemorrhaging because the bullet is not sharp and it is punching through their cavity, both are effective either way.

Just thought I would point out the obvious, that a clean kill needs good shot placement with any weapon.

This is an awesome video, and it makes me want to do some moose hunting again in the near future, man do they ever get your heart racing when they come in.

You wanna know where TJ.... here ya go. This came from Jim @ Dad's

Being from Temagami, thought you might be interested - One of our Reps just stopped by on his way northern to hunt, and told me about his buddies from the Sault who got a 57" Bull at 5 yards with a bow last week up by Kenora. It will apparently score second largest bull taken by a bow in Ontario once they can score it. He told me that the Bull was making a roaring like noise, and after it went down another Bull comes out and started fighting with it. I called Bull, and he told me they video taped it and put it on youtube - sure enough watch this video.

How many deer do you consider a lot?I live in an area with more deer per sqare mile than most places.I have been hunting for a very long time.I help my buddy out butchering deer in the fall,we cut up hundreds of deer a year.I have seen only one deer come in with an arrow broken off in it.The blade was wedged in the top of its shoulder blade.I have never seen one walking around with an arrow broken off in him.Either we have much more ethical hunters here who dont take sketchy shots(I doubt it)or you are reading too many P3TA fliers(I suspect this is the case).

Joe

Pretty cool with hunting. You're putting me in the wrong bucket.

Maybe just luck or i'm seeing the same deer(s). Have seen 2....one iwth mark, and another with the bit sticking right out of it (feeding in parents yard)...and have a friend who hunts and lost a deer that he shot as well.....(which i felt like calling him an ass for but bit my tongue).

Anyway - we're derailing the thread. Happy to go over it view PM or in another thread if you like. And, if you have moose steaks i'd love to try them.

What a rush!!! what a video..experience of a lifetime to say the least. Interesting to see the instinct of the 2nd animal take over and start rutting, imagine the stories the forest critters will be telling about that moose that actually killed another moose just by rutting :D hehe

Great reach with OFC yet again...thanks for sharing the info Wayne, makes it that much more interesting.

You wanna know where TJ.... here ya go. This came from Jim @ Dad's

Being from Temagami, thought you might be interested - One of our Reps just stopped by on his way northern to hunt, and told me about his buddies from the Sault who got a 57" Bull at 5 yards with a bow last week up by Kenora. It will apparently score second largest bull taken by a bow in Ontario once they can score it. He told me that the Bull was making a roaring like noise, and after it went down another Bull comes out and started fighting with it. I called Bull, and he told me they video taped it and put it on youtube - sure enough watch this video.

That was a great video, I certainly would like to see a faster kill though, to each his own but I wouldn't have wanted to watch that with only a bow in my hand, with a rifle i would have done my best to put him down with follow up shots. Either way, it was a great shot and I would have loved to have been there, just not with a bow.

Maybe I am getting soft in my old age..but I certainly prefer to see the animal drop right on the spot. I realize a bow is more of a challenge, but for a beast that size, I would be using a 30.06.

But that was an amazing video and watching that other bull stand over it like he did it was quite amazing.

Guest gbfisher

Animals are stronger than you think RicK. Even a 30 06 through the same spot would take the same time to go down not to mention that they can go a good distance before expiring. Only a Neck, head or spine shot would drop it in its tracks. Even with a heart shot they can go on stream for a bit.

That's why I say to myself when they show..."BAG "O" MEAT".........BANG!......No waste and they drop. :)

I wanted the same thing when I took my first shot at an animal...I kept shooting. There was no bag "O" meat left...... :blush:

Edited by gbfisher

I put away my guns years ago and no longer hunt. I would prefer to shoot them with a camera.

In regards to a lot of the comments ie; bullets or arrows, It makes me think back of all those moose that were shot once with a poor shot and were able to either walk away or run away for quite some distance and then given up by hunters. It happens more often then we like to admit. 30-06, elephant gun or whatever, the size of bullet does not matter as much as the placement of the first shot. Wounded moose can run a long ways into heavy brush when the sound of the gunfire reaches them. Using arrows, they are not sure what hit them and wont run in a panic it appears. I use to guide moose hunters but I never call myself an expert on the subject.

Guest gbfisher
I put away my guns years ago and no longer hunt. I would prefer to shoot them with a camera.

In regards to a lot of the comments ie; bullets or arrows, It makes me think back of all those moose that were shot once with a poor shot and were able to either walk away or run away for quite some distance and then given up by hunters. It happens more often then we like to admit. 30-06, elephant gun or whatever, the size of bullet does not matter as much as the placement of the first shot. Wounded moose can run a long ways into heavy brush when the sound of the gunfire reaches them. Using arrows, they are not sure what hit them and wont run in a panic it appears. I use to guide moose hunters but I never call myself an expert on the subject.

I put them away after two kids. :worthy: I usually pick some meat up after season from friends.

Cause Wayne won't let me take on off his Landing Strip...... :wallbash:

Edited by gbfisher

Pretty cool with hunting. You're putting me in the wrong bucket.

Maybe just luck or i'm seeing the same deer(s). Have seen 2....one iwth mark, and another with the bit sticking right out of it (feeding in parents yard)...and have a friend who hunts and lost a deer that he shot as well.....(which i felt like calling him an ass for but bit my tongue).

Anyway - we're derailing the thread. Happy to go over it view PM or in another thread if you like. And, if you have moose steaks i'd love to try them.

No worries bud,I'm just a bit sensitive about exaderations when it comes to hunting,,especially bowhunting.Its not easily explained but its such a great feeling to take an animal with a primitave weapon.So much has to not go wrong for it to work.With a gun the game is over shortly after you see the deer.With a bow the game is just getting started when you see the deer.No moose here to hunt but if you are in the area I have a venison steak for ya.

Joe