whos already thinking about ice fishing?

pike slayer

So i almost like ice fishing more then soft water fishing. i love jumping on the sled, breaking trail into a remote northern ontario lake that cant be accessed in the summer and finding spots on a lake and pulling that fish through a small hole, such a rush! I think about ice fishing all summer long and all winter long i think about summer fishing haha i guess i always have something to look forward to. So the weather forecast is calling for snow this weekend in the algoma district and that is really getting me thinking about ice fishing. i'm getting a list of what i need for the sled so its good and ready and im going through what i need for lures, rods, new auger blades, etc. Something i want to buy this fall is a floatation jacket to be ready for the worst. now can i just get away with a jacket and that will keep me afloat or do i need the pants to? also are there any "cool" jackets out there for not a crazy price? those bright orange helly hansen suits are just plain ugly(sorry guys that own and wears one)i want a regular looking jacket that i can keep afloat but also something i can wear sledding or going to the out on the town without looking ridiculous.

I think about ice fishing every day!

I've even started going to the LSMB again daily to see when the boys think the ice will be in on cook's bay :blink:

You know you're getting itchy when you start doing that ;)

Not until that one last open water outing where you stop and seriously think "whoa we really shouldn't be out here"

Then laugh uncontrolably at your purse carrying buddies and their lack of motivation.

Wait then steelhead season is still going until freezeup. Theres an offseason?

Edited by troutologist

haha well with ice fishing you dont need ice for the fish, toss them on the ice and they turn into torpedos quick haha!! and there is no down time for me for fishing either! the last 2 years im sliding the boat across the ice to get to the main lake then the next weekend im tip toeing across thin ice to get on some eyes lol. then in the spring im out on the ice till its to far to jump from shore to the ice then the next weekend out smelt and steelie fishing. but when the weather is getting cold i start going through inventory to make sure im all set when the time comes. does anyone have any links for floatation jackets that look like a normal looking winter jacket?? or any suggestions? thanks

There's a couple here.

http://www.sailgb.com/c/buoyant_clothing/

Just google them. There's a decent amount of floatation jackets out there that aren't orange.

Personally, when I'm Ice fishing, I could care less about how I look :D The more visible the better.

Usually match a blaze orange hat with my bright yellow/orange floater!

even though im as smart as a pylon i dont wanna look like one hahaha! i want a multi purpose jacket! so far i found this one http://stores.snowmobiletrinkets.com/FXR/2...lack_sx__2_.jpg

its the fxr flotex jacket, it says its not an actual floatation jacket but it can keep you buoyant up to 2hours, im pretty sure if i fell into the drink that i wouldnt last 2hours haha!