Volunteer p/t co officer

vinnimon

Rick O'Banion can give you the details... but like most any crown run program the issue with the "volunteers" was insurance didn't cover them as a non-crown employee. We ran into this in the aircraft building inspection program during the same time frame that the fishing "Guardian" program got toasted.

Edited by irishfield

Well i guess we will have to do our part, as ussual.Liability is a factor, and the premiums are high.Most of us have cells with cameras,that will do for now.But I would like to be involved in a program as such, in my spare time.thanks V

I was in the Fish and Wildlife Guardian Program. Officially the program was canceled do to a lack of interest..on the governments part. Honestly I have no idea why it was terminated.

You can still apply to be a Deputy CO..I think they still have them and they are/were volunteers.

But like you said, a good camera works wonders. We have had the MNR contact us about violations reported on this site and have dealt with other stuff with the Coast Guard. So they are watching....

I was in the Fish and Wildlife Guardian Program. Officially the program was canceled do to a lack of interest..on the governments part. Honestly I have no idea why it was terminated.

I am a member of Metro East Anglers. We operate the fishway at Milne Dam in Markham. I know a few years back insurance suddenly became an issue with the fishway and any other activity that we were involved with. It may be co-incidental, but that is when the Guardian Program was cancelled. I suspect that insurance issues did play a part in the demise of the program.

No wonder the insurance was getting to be an issue...with all those bears wandering around who could afford it?

This could be quite a tool for policing resource infractions. Im not certain but I would suspect even if someone took photos and reported a violation the crown would be reluctant to pursue the issue in court. Having folks with even minimal training to collect evidence or make the observations required to stand up in court would be great. Plus more fines=new office furniture on Water St...err, I mean more CO's

Rick O'Banion can give you the details... but like most any crown run program the issue with the "volunteers" was insurance didn't cover them as a non-crown employee. We ran into this in the aircraft building inspection program during the same time frame that the fishing "Guardian" program got toasted.

Police forces can some how still have Auxiliaries & Cadets, if the MNR was actually interested there would be a way to make it happen.

I am a member of Metro East Anglers. We operate the fishway at Milne Dam in Markham. I know a few years back insurance suddenly became an issue with the fishway and any other activity that we were involved with. It may be co-incidental, but that is when the Guardian Program was cancelled. I suspect that insurance issues did play a part in the demise of the program.

This was also after the OPSEU strike, I suspect it had more to do with the MNR guarding it's turf for dues paying employees than any legitimate insurance worries. Let's not forget we're talking about unionized swivel servant culture here that just got done picketing volunteer fish lifts out of spite during the strike.

Talk to a few Halton cops that are now patrolling Bronte on how much fun it is trying to deal with the MNR guarding "their" turf.