Wicked Cam Trail Pic

Skud

Gotta question the authenticity though.

Thanks!

HD

Ditto

A quick search on google has references to that pic coming from Oregon, Wyoming, Montana, Illinois, east Texas, Virginia and now Peterborough, Ontario - Good to see Ontario made the list :lol:

Edited by MJL

ok so im i the only one who relizes wuts wrong with this picture? the picture could very well be real, i have been doing studies with one of my profs for a little while, working on the couger program. we have studied alot about the WESTERN couger and there tactics of hunting are incredible! i said western for a reason.... there is no way in hell this picture could of been taken in ontario.... whats the dead give away??......

look at the tail on the deer.... ahhhh.... hahah its a Mule Deer, close cousin of the ontario Whitetail... so it was taken out west somewhere.

Glad i could clear that one up :)

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
saw one of them just north of town last year...no pic though

Quite a few sightings on ranger lake road. And a colleague of mine at the DFO saw one on the Spanish River.

About prey being mesmerized I've often seen that. One time, I was rabbit hunting just outside Kingston Ontario and an owl landed in a tiny opening in the woods just about 75 feet from me. I walked to the opening and there were a few rabbits in the opening. It was a nice sunny afternoon and you how rabbits in heat will gather into little groups and play around. Anyway, the owl landed on the ground, made some noises and hopped around until it finally hopped on a rabbit and took off with it. All the rabbits seem to freeze until the owl went away. Another time, I was fishing close to my vehicle and my dog was on shore watching me. While he was watching me, there were 2 rabbits on the dirt road right behind him and they were hopping about and playing together. The dog had no clue of what was going on behind his back. This particular spot must be real attractive to rabbits (snowshoe hares) because almost everytime I fish there, just about sunset, the snowshoe hares come out and play on the road beside my truck and boat trailer while I'm fishing for walleye about 25 feet from shore.

Prey are actually dumber than we think. If a person makes little noise and better yet....if you are sitting still (low profile), they will almost climb up on you.

The trick is no sudden mouvements. I've caught trout with my bare hands (this is illegal but I put the fish back in the stream) and I've often caught spruce grouse with my hands....also illegal.

Isn't the internet great!!!

Date line Peterbourgh...

Mule deer push out white tails in Ontario, Cougar numbers up!

Another consideration is that it most likely was pitch black (at least for human eyes) when the picture was taken. Most of the predator/prey videos we have seen are filmed in more light, so the stalk/ chase would be different I would think. Also flash photography "freezes" the action so the cougar could have been moving faster than it appears.

Neat shot anyway. I would think we'll see more of these as more and more people have, and use, trail cams.

Sasquatch next?