Ringwood Hatchery Chinook Egg Collection

CLofchik

As some may or may not know, the MNR got out of the chinook salmon business. Faced with the very real possibility that salmon fishing could come to an end in Lake Ontario a volunteer group offered to take over the operation of Southern Ontario's last hatchery that raised King Salmon. Metro East Anglers took over the operation in a deal brokered by the OFAH, aye they be a motley crew but if it wasn't for them there wouldn't be ANY Kings on this side of the lake.

http://www.ringwoodhatchery.ca/

This week is their 3rd annual egg collection, and as usual was a blast with the river stuffed with tons of ripe fish.

How they are collected is fish are zapped with an electroshocker (Taser for fish), then netted and put in pens.

MEA09.jpg

Milt and eggs are collected from the fish.

DSC_0079.jpg

There's always a wide sampling of different groups that all have salmon in common, from trollers on Spoonpullers to a Chinese anglers club showing up to help out. Heck even a senior MNR biologist can come down and be educated in proper lake management & welcomed in our special fashion :D

MEA09_1.jpg

Eggs back at the hatchery just after insemination, a small number of the crew. The tall stately looking gentlemen with the beard is Andy, whose done an outstanding job operating the hatchery, heh I guess his retirement hasn't exactly panned out how he planned.

MEA09_5.jpg

Finished eggs in incubation trays after a long days work, rest up future 30lb'ers :D

MEA09_3.jpg

MEA09_4.gif

They'll hatch in a few weeks, get transferred to tanks and start feeding like wolves, until they're stocked as fry in March. Hard to beleive that every 20lb. King caught started out as these little guys getting put in a lake.

Ringwood_Finclip08.jpg

And now y'all now how salmon get into Lady O.

Oh and coho collections are done in October, but without any Ho's stocked for a few years finding numbers of ripe fish can be hit or miss. If anyone can PM a line on where there's some decent Ho #'s it would be appreciated.

Edited by CLofchik

Guest steel'n'esox

Great report and congradulations to everyone involved in keeping a quality Lake O fishery alive, I sure hope you find some good coho numbers as they are a great fish more prone to bite in rivers and their fight in the lake is amazing and powerful and in my opinion better than the king

ignorance is bliss

what part of this are you directing that comment to??

I was down on the weekend to do my part too, had an excellent collection getting almost 500,000 over 2 days.

A couple beauty browns where also transported up past the dam to better spawning grounds.

here are some more pics of the collection.

ring1.jpg

ring3.jpg

My hat goes off to the members of the chinese angles association. They had over 10 people out getting their hands dirty and helping out. The most impressive part is they dont even fish salmon!! The group focus is on bass and walleye but they still came out and put in time to help the king fishery. Incredible group or anglers!!!

ring2.jpg

ring4.jpg

ring6.jpg

collecting some prime genetics, and trying not to get any on my jacket!

ring5.jpg

some of the 30lbs males sampled this weekend

ring7.jpg

ring8.jpg

Dr. S...clearly you don't know the story behind the shirt. ;)

Great to see the success of this years egg collection. I heard that they are ahead of schedule which means lots of ripe fish...where were all those matures about a month ago!?

Wow...Bruce isn't a small lad, so that king he is holding is certainly 30++! Matt's fish has that super sized adipose fin, typical of the tyee's in the lake as well (although they won't be visible on anything but naturally reproduced fish in the coming years) :D

Hats off to all volunteers...I miss the fun and enjoyment of the event and might have to replace my neoprene waders with another pair of cheap ones.

I bought breathable waders after a big male ripped my waders at the '07 collection (hey! what's that tingling?? UH OH! had to get outta the water fast!), and since then haven't been able to get in the water with the electro-shocker...on the list for sure...

Tony

ignorance is bliss

Irony behind that comment is truly staggering.

I bought breathable waders after a big male ripped my waders at the '07 collection (hey! what's that tingling?? UH OH! had to get outta the water fast!), and since then haven't been able to get in the water with the electro-shocker...on the list for sure...

Tony

They bring extras, no excuses for the Ho collection :D

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
Dr. S...clearly you don't know the story behind the shirt. ;)

so what's the story?

to me it looks like an anti atlantic salmon restoration shirt...definitely rather chronzyish, hence the association with ignorance...they go hand in hand!

;)

if there's some cute story to go along with them i'm all eyes!

Thanks for sharing, Clofchik :) It is definitely nice to see regular people getting involved (as opposed to doorknobs like me who wait for the gov. to do everything). A focused passion outperforms money 10 time out of 10. Well done!

p.-

p.s. :asshat: +

Edited by Paulus

ignorance is bliss

Just wonderin' man

I don't really know the background of what these folks are doing.

Perhaps it's the wrong approach?

Is there more here?

let us know.

I have no clue.

Thanks

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
Just wonderin' man

I don't really know the background of what these folks are doing.

Perhaps it's the wrong approach?

Is there more here?

let us know.

I have no clue.

Thanks

i applaud the ringwood hatchery and the work they do for the recreation chinook salmon fishery.

i just tire of chronz wannabes always slagging on bios...

thanks for at least being civil. there's more constructive ways to debate than to call someone an asshat. then again, most of these belly achers aren't the constructive type.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

i applaud the ringwood hatchery and the work they do for the recreation chinook salmon fishery.

i just tire of chronz wannabes always slagging on bios...

thanks for at least being civil. there's more constructive ways to debate than to call someone an asshat. then again, most of these belly achers aren't the constructive type.

Thank you for the clarification.

I'm not aware of the debate but hope that our fisheries are protected by the right folks.

I'm all for educated information.

Cheers,

:thumbsup_anim: