Is Kawathra open this year for ice fishing?

CRAPPIE

Wasnt there a posting about opening it in 2010 for ice fishing. Panfish only I beleive. Hope they do, especially to tone down some of the panfish populations. I have been gtting crappie/Bluegill everywhere in the Kararthas this season. Very large ones as well.

You know that people would be harvesting Walleye/Bass etc.

Most people follow the rules, but a lot of people don't as well.

Stupid move if you ask me.

I totally agree... there are enuff lakes in close proximity that are open in the winter... Keep'em closed!

I have mixed feelings about the Kawartha's being open for the hard water. I plan on retiring to Bobcaygeon so it would be nice to fish closer to home in the winter.

However I have the same concerns as Stoty about the fishery going to hell.

I think a good compromise would be to open it for pannies and walleye for a short season like Scugog...but really monitor it. If the fishery starts to go south then close it up again.

It would be fantastic if it was sustainable.....and it would be good for local businesses to get a little more tourist $$$$ during the winter.

Well if people are going to harvest fish out of season (poaching), I guess we might better close all seasons of all species to coincide with Bass opener and then close them on November 15th.

Cause everyone knows, guys keep walleye, bass, muskie and pike starting on the 4th Saturday in April.