" Sacrificial" 3-way rig

splashhopper

Personnaly I believe the 3 way rig is one of the most effective methods to catch trout. In the video the guy has a long lead to the sinker and short to his hook. i do the opposite for trout/salmon. Good tip from timmeh about the lighter line to the sinker....Another is to pre tie a few 3 ways before you head out.....Just dont tie on the sinker or hook..Snags are a part of bouncing bottom and there is nothing more frustrating then having to tie 5 knots every time.

Good luck

TDunn

Oh and set the hook on anything that feels wierd!

Bouncing for steelhead, was for me, one of the most challenging techniques to develop a good feel for.

Some insights:

Tdunn called it, pretie, then tie up some more. It is WAY easier to do this infront of the TV indoors than at dawn -5C. I tie the hooks on and the 3 way on, then have to attach the mainline and sinker. If you have 20 you can always use them next time. Check your line every few casts as this is hard on lines. Keep your spare leaders and sinker line accessible. If its hidden away you won't retie when you need to.

Use a line to your sinker that is half the weight of your mainline. Lead is cheap vs. fluoro leader and hooks.

Have a pair of good, big side cutters, to trim pencil lead to match your conditions. Those homemade slinky jobs may work on smaller streams but I havent found them useful for where I fished.

Cast slightly upstream and wait for bottom contact, try to develop a rhythmic lift drop where YOU control the bouncing on the bottom. Allowing it to drag downstream will result in more snags, aim for bottom contact every 2-3seconds. Keep a tight line by reeling in as it passes you.

Don't get greedy and try to lengthen your drift with a spinning reel, if you use a baitcaster its easier, but the inconsisten tension when featherering a spinning reel kills the feel.

Hooksets are free, get your money's worth.

I miss steelhead...I hope its warm enough to fish the rapids at Christmas.