Benelli Nova Pump?

siwash

hey folks,

What are you opinions on the Benelli Nova pump actions?

I am still looking for a gun and my brother-in-law said I should check them out... apparently real fine gun.

I am looking to target multi species including deer, turkey, waterfowl and upland game.. will this gun do the trick? It's well priced at Cabelas:

https://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=71&...1727&ID=289

Thanks for any input!

great gun but a pain to find a rifled barrel for shooting sabots...

So to hunt deer, what are my options with it? Would I need to buy a separate riffled barrel or can I shoot slugs with the IC choke in place? You'll have to pardon my ignorance since I'm new to this hunting thing!

I also want to target smaller game like upland bird, rabbit and turkey and as far as I can tell, it seems to be good for those species.. especially duck/geese

Every review I've read has been mostly very positive.. it seems like I wouldn't need to upgrade from there. It's really not much more than a Remington or Moss

Thanks!

At the 8 pounds listed for weight, I would find it a quite heavy for an upland gun. The ic choke would work with the old style foster type slugs but a rifled bore is really needed for the modern sabot slugs which greatly increase accuracy and range. As for versatility, adaptability and the availability of aftermarket accesories including barrells of any type nothing comes close to a Remington 870. It is the largest selling shotgun of all times with about ten million in total sales for good reason. Almost 50 years in the field and I have owned side by sides, over and unders, autos and pumps but if I had to do it over again I would go with a 12 gauge 870 with a 28" barrel with interchangeable tubes and a rifled slug barrel with a cantilever scope mount (there are combo packages available) and a 20 guage 870 with a 26" barrel improved cylinder or tubes. You could hunt everything from woodcock to geese and deerhunt with that combo and never feel overly compromised in your firearm choice.

I would go with a 12 gauge 870 with a 28" barrel with interchangeable tubes and a rifled slug barrel with a cantilever scope mount (there are combo packages available)

Totally agree.

I believe the wolfsden is charging 4and change for the combo.

http://www.wolfsdensports.com/index.htm

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms...ress_combos.asp

Edited by misfish

I'm leaning toward the Benelli... I did a lot f research and these guns seem awesome and indestructible... ANd I doesn't seem like I'll need the different barrels. The Nova would be the type of gun I'd not grow out of..

thanks guys... I'll let you know how I make out

SF, I have the Nova pump and love it. I had it a few years, there is a rifled barrel but it's pricey. I use it for everything but slugs. It's smooth, quiet, light and has the button to change the shell in the chamber only. If you need anymore info let me know.

Bottom line, how much do you want to spend???

I used to have a Winchester 1300 pump with the long barrel and a rifled barrel and I loved shooting it, the slide would come back a bit after each shot enabling a quicker pump for the second shot if necessary. I get another in a heartbeat if I found one in good shape. I have an 870 in 20 guage that is a really nice piece. As for the Benelli, it's all about cost, how much will the shotgun cost you along with a rifled barrel?? An 870 for $400 odd is a great deal and not too big a pill to swallow especially that you are new to hunting. If you don't enjoy it, you'll be stuck with an expensive wall decoration. You could spend the difference on good boots, a coat, gear, etc....

I recently bought a browning bps hunter in 20 ga, so far it has worked flawlessly, the 870 has always been a good choice, you may want to stay away from the new 870 express models though, from the research i did before i bought the browning the 870 express doesnt seem to have very good build quality. For example alot of the the express models have problems with not extracting the cheap winchester low brass shells, my browning is 100 percent wth them.

I should add that a common solution to this problem seems to require getting the chamber polished

Edited by blarg

If it's a pump you interested in take a hard look at the Mossberg 500 and of course the Remington 870. What I don't like about the new 870's is they have a parkerized finish instead of blueing like the Mossy 500.

I have three Mossy 500's for about 14 years now and never had a problem what so ever. Take a look here at them.....http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=3

BTW I wouldn't get a 3.5" shotgun.......they are heavier and you just don't need it. Price the cost of 12 gauge 3.5" shells and you will quickly see they are VERY expensive. Three inch 12 gauge shells have been bring down waterfowl for a long time now.

Two weeks ago I purchased a Mossy 930 autoloader from Dick's Sporting Goods for only $200 plus tax....included was a deer barrel with cantilever scope mount and three chokes plus a hard case.... GREAT DEAL but it was because someone returned it after shooting it a couple of times.....SO WHAT....

Come on a remington over a Benelli? Are u guys feeling ok.... No comparison

This is how I feel about it... no disrespect to the Rems but it's kind of like comparing a decent and reliable car to a higher end one... It seems that Benelli's (after feeling/holding both guns) are just made with better quality materials and craftmanship...I think the Rem's are so popular cause they're inexpensive and they're made in the USA so we get a lot more exposure... I bet there's lots of good guns out there that people pass up b/c they don't know them well/

Products that come out of Italy are usually almost always very high quality..

And you know what? they don't really cost that much more... we're talking about $150 more.. If you own a gun for 15-25 years that's nothing...

If it's a pump you interested in take a hard look at the Mossberg 500 and of course the Remington 870. What I don't like about the new 870's is they have a parkerized finish instead of blueing like the Mossy 500.

I have three Mossy 500's for about 14 years now and never had a problem what so ever. Take a look here at them.....http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=3

BTW I wouldn't get a 3.5" shotgun.......they are heavier and you just don't need it. Price the cost of 12 gauge 3.5" shells and you will quickly see they are VERY expensive. Three inch 12 gauge shells have been bring down waterfowl for a long time now.

Two weeks ago I purchased a Mossy 930 autoloader from Dick's Sporting Goods for only $200 plus tax....included was a deer barrel with cantilever scope mount and three chokes plus a hard case.... GREAT DEAL but it was because someone returned it after shooting it a couple of times.....SO WHAT....

I've been on the Benelli owner's forum. Most of them don't bother with the rifled barrel. They say that certain slugs (Breneke) can be fired with exceptional accuracy out of the smooth bore (IC choke) without hesitation... judging by their picture forum they're probably right.. I raised the concern about the rifled barrels and Sabot slugs and they simply aren't needed. Most hunters will not regularly attempt a 150 yard shot anyway and you usually don't have that kind of distance to shoot... Usually 50-100 yards... correct me if I'm wrong.

I also found the Mossbergs somewhat cheap feeling when compared to the Benelli. I'm sure they're good quality though...

As for the chamber, you don't actually have to use 3.5" shells. You can use 2.75 and 3" and many of the Benelli owners do. But it's nice to have the option of 3.5 even if you don't use it.

Now I have to decide if I want to dish out even more and go for the Super Nova which has a few more options including an improved cushioned recoil..apparently it really reduces the kick..

Thanks!

You are right about not having to use 3.l5" shells but then you are still lugging around a HEAVY 3.5" chambered shotgun for "upland" game.

BELIEVE me....I speak from EXPERIENCE.....you want a FULLY RIFLED Cantilever mount barrel for shooting slugs. I don't care if you get homemade shotgun.......if your truly interested in shooting slugs a fully rifled barrel is like night and day from a smooth bore barrel........I have had some of the best in smooth bores....a Browning vs Mossberg rifled barrel and the Mossy beat the smooth bore Browning hands down...

You are right about not having to use 3.l5" shells but then you are still lugging around a HEAVY 3.5" chambered shotgun for "upland" game.

BELIEVE me....I speak from EXPERIENCE.....you want a FULLY RIFLED Cantilever mount barrel for shooting slugs. I don't care if you get homemade shotgun.......if your truly interested in shooting slugs a fully rifled barrel is like night and day from a smooth bore barrel........I have had some of the best in smooth bores....a Browning vs Mossberg rifled barrel and the Mossy beat the smooth bore Browning hands down...

Are you using the sabbots slugs with the riffled barrel?

Thanks..

It,s a gun. Just the name your paying for. Just like anything else out there.

If it does the job?????????

Your probably right, but that could be applied to a number of consumable products... and consumers don't behave rationally, do we?! I still think there's a difference from product to product, whether it's guns or cars... I've always been very selective

Are you using the sabbots slugs with the riffled barrel?

Thanks..

Yes I am using Remington 3" magnum Copper Solid Sabots....in a rifled barrel NEVER use Foster Type slugs (non-sabot or rifled slugs)....http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/shotshell/slugs/copper_solid_sabot.asp

Now that's in my Mossberg 500 24" cantilever fully rifled barrel with a 2.5 scope. I can get group in the 2" range at 100 yards........others will tell you their guns shoot something else with better results. So it will matter what shotgun you finally decide on.

Here's my deer gun I use in areas that rifles are not allowed.

Copy9ofDeerHunting11-19-05040.jpg

Happy Hunting,

Bob