Simcoe Jumbo Perch ONFIRE now! - pics

Slayingm

I had folks out on lake Simcoe charter this past weekend for Perch and depite the screaming winds we managed to slow the drift with x2 wind socks and caught approx 100 nice perch over the day. Various jigging spoons and Rapala jigging Raps all worked on Ultralight setups on 4lb line with the key to success. The key depths for us were in the 25 to 28' range with many fish icaught in the 10 to 13" range with one breaking the 14.50" mark! We released most of the fish but kept a few for the table. Unfortuanately the camera batteries died in the boat but have a couple of pics below of a few I brought home for a nice feed! I kept one really strange coloured big perch that had the colours more of a Walleye then a perch and in 30 yrs of fishing Simcoe have never seen one like this.... it had no barring or typical Perch colour patterns as you can see in the pic below.....

Oct02SimcoePerch.jpg

Also, most of the fish had shiners in their belly's but a number also had lots of smaller crawfish as seen in this pic!...no wonder they taste so great!!

Oct02Simcoeperch2.jpg

I expect the action to continue to be good out there for the next few weeks so if your planning on going please dress appropriately and remember saftey 1st. The wind on Simcoe and falling water temps this time of year demand respect.

Take care and good Fish'n.... Greg.

We were crushing them all afternoon as well. I didn't even bother with the dift sock and just put anchor down. We still dragged the anchor but it did slow us down. Fish were as Greg said 26-35' with most around the 26- 27' mark. The screen was often just full of fish from 15' to the bottom. Used a strata spoon but pretty much anything would work.

Nice fish by the way.

Edited by Cudz

Going there tomorrow morning with my 4 year old son.

Any general idea as to which part of the lake should we try?

Minnows been a problem the only place I was told has them is on the West side of the lake.

So I was wondering should I run across the lake to the Pefferlaw/Torah area or should I try to find them near the islands or in Kempenfelt Bay?

Feel free to PM me if you like.

Hope I can keep my son busy in the morning ;-)

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Minnows been a problem the only place I was told has them is on the West side of the lake.

So I was wondering should I run across the lake to the Pefferlaw/Torah area or should I try to find them near the islands or in Kempenfelt Bay?

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

pm sent

you can get minnows at Simcoe bait and tackle but.... read PM

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Sorry... just seeing your post now. You certainly do not need minnows.... in fact we were catching much better fish on average then all the live-baiters around us. Luhr-Jensen Croc spoons and chrt/white jigging Rapala's in the #5 and 7 sizes did the trick..... stick with light 4lb line.... you will have a sore arm in no time.

Lots of fish between the S. tips of Georgina and Thorah right now along with due E. of Duclos..... just look for the packs of boats and good luck... Greg

Thanks Greg, as always very useful information. I caught a Perch on Rice last week that also looked similar in colour to the one in your pic. Had none of the distinctive black vertical marks, I wish I took a pic. Cheers.

Dirk