Portable Ice Hut Ski System - Homemade - UPDATE

Jet

Hey Guys,

UPDATE

So I finished my home-made ski system to throw my Frabill Outback on top of and solve the common problem with this style hut (Clam 2000, Shappell 3000) when trying to haul its wide flat shape through snow. I can't take all the credit as my brother was really the brains and handyman behind it. I was able to get the ski's for $5 and used scrap metal laying around the shop.

My main issue with building a ski system was having something that could fit into my compact sedan, which is why building a fully assembled ski-system wouldn't work for me after loading the hut and sled into the car. This one collapses nicely and fits on the floor in the backseats. I'm very happy with how it turned out and backyard tests on the grass have me excited for the hard water season.

IMG00002-20091020-1513.jpg

IMG00003-20091020-1513.jpg

IMG00004-20091020-1514.jpg

IMG00005-20091020-1514.jpg

I can't wait for the hard ice season, and I wanted to ask anyone if they have any ideas they could share about using skis to build runners for a portable hut. I have a Frabill Outback Hut. I got a set of old skis and this is what I'm trying to build for the same style hut.

Ski_System_400.jpg

So far this is the idea I have.

ski1-1.jpg

What my novice Photoshop jpeg is trying to say is, I'm thinking of connecting the skis with two metal bars with a pivot point in the middle. This will allow me to collapse the ski system for easy transportation and when fully extended, the hut can rest on top. But before I hack into my skis I wanted to see what other solutions OFNers have come up with that they'd be willing to share.

Thanks in advance,

-j

Edited by Jet

Everyone I've talked to just bolts the skiis directly onto the bottom of the sled. I was surprised to learn that this alone greatly increases the things "flotation" on snow. I am, however, referring to more sledlike portables...like fish traps. Don't know if you have to remove the skiis in order to set up your frabill.

If a permanent bolt on solution is not good for you, my suggestion would be this:

Bolt a 2x4 onto the ski, with the 2x4 on its side. Sink a couple eye-bolts into the side of the wood, and clamp/strap the hut onto the rig. this way the whole thing is off the snow, and it just unclips from the skiis.

:dunno:

Oh...don't know how wide your hut is when collapsed, as per your pic, but what about getting a Jetsled? Used ones are often easy enough to find, if you know the right person (ahem...I may know somebody :D)

Edited by johnnyb

drop by any of the salvation army or goodwill places. They've usually got a ton of old and mismatched skis (downhill and cross country) I bought 3 sets last year for $5 each. Turned 2 sets into mini sled dog sleighs for ice fishing and still have an extra to use this year to fashion a double wide to carry my single man Frabill. Cross country work the best

• 4 weeks later...

The Ski pro shop here in St Catharines gives me old skis for free, the problem is they want me to take them all , I don't want 20 pairs. Just a suggestion go check out a local pro shop you will probably be doing them a favour by taking the old skis off there hands.

By the way nice design, not sure how you'll attach the skis to the hut :dunno::dunno:

Edited by canadadude

By the way nice design, not sure how you'll attach the skis to the hut :dunno::dunno:

It's actually quite simple. My hut rests right on top. My style hut is full of grooves, so it holds snug. It also weighs 44 lbs, and with gear on top its grows. There are two holes in the front of each ski and from there I pull. What is hard to see is that when fully extended it locks into position with two holding screws, so it is essentially a platform.

Edited by Jet

Hey Jet.

I have a clam 2000 and just got some ski's to do the same thing! I got the ski's for free using freecycle.org...

Now my question to you is this. How long are the cross members at the pin/hinge/bending point? I'm not good with metal but I'm sure I can try and make something out of wood... Let me know when you can, cheers.

Geoff

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I made sure to relay them to my brother!

Hey Jet.

I have a clam 2000 and just got some ski's to do the same thing! I got the ski's for free using freecycle.org...

Now my question to you is this. How long are the cross members at the pin/hinge/bending point? I'm not good with metal but I'm sure I can try and make something out of wood... Let me know when you can, cheers.

Geoff

Geoff,

Hinge to Hinge is 31 inches. That allows me to place my hut vertically or horizontally. After some test, I found it best to lay it horizontally because the ridges help hold it into place as the widths of each joint were cut to fit in-between the slots on the hut floor. But so far on the grass pull, it works both ways, since at 44lbs it has plenty of gravity in its favor.

Edited by Jet