Winter Boat Storage

Mike the Pike

I am trying to decide how to store my boat this year and yes I am tired of paying the dealer.

Also fed up with wooden frames that take up room in my yard in the summer not to mention the wood eventually rots and nails and screws rust.

So I am thinking of this solution for the winter. www.navigloo.com

boat storage system

Does anyone have one of these is so are you happy with it.

Its not cheap but it will last for quite a few years.

MTP

I made one for my last boat from 2" PVC. Scary but it loked almost exactly like the one in your link. At specific points I put joiners so I could disassemble and store in the rafters through the summer. I put 2 big blue tarps over top and tightened everything down with bungy chord and rope. Worked pretty good and you got 2 seasons from the tarp usually before it started to fray and leak.

I am trying to decide how to store my boat this year and yes I am tired of paying the dealer.

Also fed up with wooden frames that take up room in my yard in the summer not to mention the wood eventually rots and nails and screws rust.

So I am thinking of this solution for the winter. www.navigloo.com

boat storage system

Does anyone have one of these is so are you happy with it.

Its not cheap but it will last for quite a few years.

MTP

Been thinking about how I'm going to store my boat this year. This is the first year that I don't own a building for indoor storage. Checked the website and found that one of the marinas in town is a dealer. Think I'll slither over there and check it out and see what their price is. Curious to see if anyone on this board has one.

I have been using a system similar to the one shown for about 16 years now at about one tenth of the cost . For my 17ft. boat I used 3 pieces of 1-1/4 EMT ( electricians pipe) ; 2 galvanized 1-1/4 rigid tee fittings (plumbing) ; 1 1-1/4 set screw coupling (electrical) 2 1-1/4 set screw connectors (electrical). Slide tees over pipe and join with pipes together with coupling. install connectors in tee s for the drop pieces (about 4 ft. long) locating directly over seating holes at bow and stearn. The ridge pole should be centred over boat; then drill tees and fasten with a screw so they no longer can slide. Upright pieces are secured with set screw in the connector so they can be dismantled if needed. If seating hole is smaller or larger than 1-1/4 ; muffler pipe adaptors are available at crappy tire and pop rivet on end of upright. All materials can be purchased at Home Depot or electrical supplier. I found that added supports were not needed. And as "Fang" mentioned in the post above throw a tarp over the structure and secure with bungee cords. Tarp 20x16 at Princess Auto lasts 2 seasons. Tape ends of pipe up so they will not wear through on tarp.

Speaking for my boat (14.5'), I can throw in an extra 100$ and have a snap cover made with support poles, which comes with a 5year warranty on the cover. I would consider that if I was you Mike the Pike.

Hey fish4eyes I already have a snap cover from Lund a $750 option which is perfect for summer.

I would not use that in the winter one huge snowfall and it would probably rip.

I need something with high peaks that will rid the snow automatically.

We get alot of snow here in Montreal .

I would consider the PVC solution if I could only find the time to create something.

And Bite me why don't you just come to Quinte and Chum the Bay!

MTP