slammin' Big Haliburton Smallies

Aaron Shirley

Barry and I headed to the Haliburtons to fish for smallies on our annual trip with the boys on the weekend. We had a riot as always.

Barry and I caught a bunch of big smallies up to 5lbs on day one with about 20 fish in the boat, not many under 2.5-pounds. X-Raps and tubes were the ticket with a couple on a DT crank for Barry. I even got a laker on a green tube! Barry had the hot hand on the weekend getting countless big fish. We got to put the new Rapala Volt and RType reels to the test, and I'm impressed with them. I can't wait for the new Rapala high-end rods to come out later this year.

Day two we had a mini-tourney with all 6 boats. It was a tough day of fishing, but most boats got around 15 smallies. Spinnerbaits, tubes and X-Raps were the ticket. Barry took it with a 4.2lb smallie.

The surface water temps were at 56 F. and gin clear. Moderate to low winds were nice, although we had some storms moving through with bigger winds, one front with hail! The first day was -1 C, day 2 was a lot warmer. The fish were anywhere from 5' of water to 30'. It was a great trip, can't wait for next year already!

We didn't take a lot of pics due to the weather, but we got some nice shots.

Haliburton_10-2009_1.jpg

Haliburton_10-2009_3.jpg

Haliburton_10-2009_4.jpg

Haliburton_10-2009_5.jpg

Haliburton_10-2009_6.jpg

Haliburton_10-2009_7.jpg

Haliburton_10-2009_8.jpg

Good fishing!

Aaron

Nice fish Aaron. Also looking forward to Thanksgiving weekend. Got out for a few hours today, but just couldn't get the hooks into the quality fish that you have there. Even used pretty much the same lure combos... Did you find that the fish were grouping together or scattered? Maybe last nights storms turned them off today? Congrats again. Some real nice fall colours!

Guest Johnny Bass

Gotta love this time of year, when the big smallies are schoolin and they are fighting for your bait. Some nice colors on those bass too. Thanks for sharing.

Hey Tibbs, the new Canadian Rapala rods and reels are really nice. I love the RType rods and reels. The new Volt reels are nice as well. I can't wait to try the new high-end Shift rods coming out later this year.

Jigger, we found the fish scattered all over. We had to work hard for our bites and run and gun to keep getting quality fish... although they are small lakes, so we didn't have to run far to a new spot :D

Aaron