Musky question?

bassjnkie

I am a catch and release fisherman but I do like to keep the odd walleye. I've tried most fish out there, that others have caught, bass, carp, pike etc... But my dad got a call today from a friend that is bringing over a musky fillet to try, has anyone tried it? If so, what is the best was to cook it? Thanks, Daniel

IMO anyone who kills a Musky should slash his wrist and drizzle about a gallon of blood on the fillet.

So what type of flavour wil that give the meat? I have had your cooking; so I know that you have all the seasoning tricks and skills required to make anything taste very good.

IMO anyone who kills a Musky should slash his wrist and drizzle about a gallon of blood on the fillet.

I TOTALLY agree with you, but I would never kill a musky or anything other than walleye, but I do have the opportunity to try it.

well the regs say you can keep, which means kill a muskie

so who am I to try to impose my moral on anyone keeping fish within the law

I would not want to kill/eat one but if you want to, I would cook it like I would a pike same family.........

if people have a problem with that, they should contact the MNR or the gov. and try to get the regs changed

and leave law abiding people alone....and leave the blood taking to the vampires

It's unfortunate that anybody has the opportunity to eat Muskie..............BUT

I've accidentally killed some Muskies 5 or 6 in the past 20 yrs or so. :( ....I wasn't gonna let anything go to waste ... I have one on the Wall and the rest have been tried in many different ways.

Smoked , Jerkey'd, Baked , Pan fired /deep fried, BBQ.....all not bad.

The one thing I've found is to fillet the fillet in half legnthways.....make it thinner and then cut it into manageable chunks.

In all of my Muskie eating misadventures.. I liked it best in the Deepfryer with some kind of coating I liked Fish Crisp. with a close second coming in BBQ on a broiler pan or cedar plank muck like a Salmon.

Sure I felt bad for KILLING the Muskies ... but not bad enough to slit my wrists.

It's gonna happen, some of the Muskies caught will die.

After posting this, someone's gonna come over here and slit my wrists I'm sure......

RFS

Have to agree with Terry. I totally disagree with killing any Musky of any size, but none of us are in any position to comment if it is within his legal rights. I also think ALL MUSKY should be RELEASE ONLY. The only way to get that passed is if enough people voice their opinion.

I personally dont want anyone pushing their religion on me, so I dont push my morals on them.

Cook it like a pike, just as Terry says.

This one should get locked down pretty quick.

well the regs say you can keep, which means kill a muskie

so who am I to try to impose my moral on anyone keeping fish within the law

I would not want to kill/eat one but if you want to, I would cook it like I would a pike same family.........

if people have a problem with that, they should contact the MNR or the gov. and try to get the regs changed

and leave law abiding people alone....and leave the blood taking to the vampires

Thanks Terry, I don't condone killing a musky, and that's why I don't. Yes I agree the regs should changed, I will even be the first to sign a petition.

It's unfortunate that anybody has the opportunity to eat Muskie..............BUT

I've accidentally killed some Muskies 5 or 6 in the past 20 yrs or so. :( ....I wasn't gonna let anything go to waste ... I have one on the Wall and the rest have been tried in many different ways.

Smoked , Jerkey'd, Baked , Pan fired /deep fried, BBQ.....all not bad.

The one thing I've found is to fillet the fillet in half legnthways.....make it thinner and then cut it into manageable chunks.

In all of my Muskie eating misadventures.. I liked it best in the Deepfryer with some kind of coating I liked Fish Crisp. with a close second coming in BBQ on a broiler pan or cedar plank muck like a Salmon.

Sure I felt bad for KILLING the Muskies ... but not bad enough to slit my wrists.

It's gonna happen, some of the Muskies caught will die.

After posting this, someone's gonna come over here and slit my wrists I'm sure......

RFS

Thank you for the cooking methods.

Have to agree with Terry. I totally disagree with killing any Musky of any size, but none of us are in any position to comment if it is within his legal rights. I also think ALL MUSKY should be RELEASE ONLY. The only way to get that passed is if enough people voice their opinion.

I personally dont want anyone pushing their religion on me, so I dont push my morals on them.

Cook it like a pike, just as Terry says.

This one should get locked down pretty quick.

Thanks guys for keeping it civil, this post will go haywire at some point, but that's is not my intention.

Edited by DanielM

The very first muskie I ever hooked didn't make it despite a long revival attempt. I fried it up with some fish crisp & lemon, it was very similar to pike. That fish was only a 36.5" though. If the fillets came from a big fish, I would probably be inclined to bake it.

And really, there is no need for this post to get locked down! If a fish is dead despite your best efforts, don't let it go to waste.

Edited by Fisherpete

Guest gbfisher
well said

it's no a waste to let all the other fish and animals eat it after it's dead. ;)

I say cook it the way you like to cook fish. Simple stuff. :)

I agree Musky is no go zone, however if you fish for them and one is hooked in gills etc and you cannot revive not sure what you would do. We caught one a few weeks ago - it didnt survive - swam away we found next day. i have since got a new net (rubber) and a cradle (Rubber) plus wire cutters. It really got to me - I enjoy catching them. this year has been awesome for Muskie.

I would go further - we should be catch and release - no excuse - but also maybe pick some lakes and stock them - Kawartha area ? make it world class and bring in the USD . I would be first to put cash up - why does this not happen in Ontario?

Wow I cant belive how long this tread has stayed civil. Congrats to all. As for eating the fish I would consult the eating guide as if this was a legal fish it would be big and full of toxins. I personaly dont eat any fresh water fish over 5lbs. Just my opinion.

Exactly.

Any fish large enough to be legal is also too big to safely eat.

From the 2009-10 Guide to Eating Ontario Sportfish - page 10

Muskellunge: Consumption tables in this Guide do not provide advisories for muskellunge. To maintain healthy muskellunge populations, the Sport Fish Contaminant Monitoring Program encourages catch and release of this species as it generally cannot sustain heavy fishing pressure. If you do wish to keep a legal-sized muskellunge for consuption, it will likely have elevated mercury levels, and should not be consumed by women of child-bearing age and children under 15. Trophy-sized muskellunge usally have very high mercury levels and should not be consumed by anyone.

You could always ask what the circumstances of the fish being kept were. :dunno:

If he decided to keep it just see what it tasted like, than you could exercise your right to say "no thank you. While it is your right, I respectfully don't care to support keeping that species under those circumstances" :angel:

If it was only kept as it wouldn't survive release, than you could respond with "I would LOVE to try some. It would be an absolute shame for it to go to waste!"

I believe it's an offense to waste the flesh of a fish, so if it's not going to survive, he has an OBLIGATION to make use of the flesh, in which case ENJOY! :P

I would think the same argument applies to all species.

Guest gbfisher
You could always ask what the circumstances of the fish being kept were. :dunno:

If he decided to keep it just see what it tasted like, than you could exercise your right to say "no thank you. While it is your right, I respectfully don't care to support keeping that species under those circumstances" :angel:

If it was only kept as it wou

ldn't survive release, than you could respond with "I would LOVE to try some. It would be an absolute shame for it to go to waste!"

I believe it's an offense to waste the flesh of a fish, so if it's not going to survive, he has an OBLIGATION to make use of the flesh, in which case ENJOY! :P

I would think the same argument applies to all species.

there is "NO WASTE" and you will not be fined when it is left to be chowed by other fish and animals. Left with a decision to keep it or leave it when it is in a slot or undersized has only one answer. You have no choice but to let it go dead or alive. If its 36" or of legal size....eat away!....:D

Edited by gbfisher