Spinnerbaits

MCTFisher9120

Going to make a strong attempt at getting to know spinnerbaits next season and the end of this season. Bought a Strike King Premier Plus spinnerbait, coloraado blades today. Impressed with the looks, I hear Terminator spinnerbaits are good as they are made with titanium. Just asking what brands of spinnerbaits are preferred and better than others. Also, what would be ideal line to run with spinnerbaits, IMO 14lb mono or fluorocarbon would do the job but hey just making sure.

Thanks,

MTBF

You're going for largemouth bass? I think the season for them is over. We went over the weekend to a spot where we caught some nice-sized bass a few months ago and not a single bite. We used different types of spinners and colors, and still nothing. I think that all the bigger bass moved to the deeper water and we were fishing close to shore. We did see some small bass swimming around but those are still babies. :) Maybe if we had a boat we would have had more success. In the summer, largemouth bass is much more aggressive and closer to shore. Nice colors choices though. I found that I caught the most bass on the white Booyah spinnerbait and not so much on the green one.

No particular brand for me, although I do like to find closed eye ones. A lot of different ways to fish them from buzzing them just under the surface to slow-rolling them down deep. Had some of my best trips up north on the GB for bass this time of year. Sometimes they are shallow, in-between or deep, just a question of locating them quickly.

Don`t be afraid to fish different depths or different speeds.

No particular brand for me, although I do like to find closed eye ones. A lot of different ways to fish them from buzzing them just under the surface to slow-rolling them down deep. Had some of my best trips up north on the GB for bass this time of year. Sometimes they are shallow, in-between or deep, just a question of locating them quickly.

Don`t be afraid to fish different depths or different speeds.

I was watching this video on Kevin Van Dam's web site about fishing them deep, bumping them off structure and even jerking it through pads and isolated weed clumps. Interesting lure and something I never took a second look at before. Well see how it goes, hey I caught one bass on them so far.

When I think about it I'd say Spinnerbaits are most effective in areas that receive minimal fishing pressure. Obviously all baits are but I don't have alot of confidence throwing spinnerbaits in an area that gets fished intensly. I think in more remote areas a Spinnerbait is a great bait. Largemouth, in my limited experience, are neither line, lure or leader shy so spinnerbaits will probably work, although not optimally, even in situations where they are fished somewhat heavily.

If I'm fishing Bass I like the cheapies too.

Edited by Weeds

I always have a spinnerbait tied on one rod, and its usually white. I don't have a specific brand either. I find the strike king ones work well I think...I always forget what brand they were after they have sat in the box a while. They catch a lot of species to. This year I have gotten smallmouth, largemouth, crappie, pike and musky on them. I usually like to throw them when i'm checking out a new area and fishing it fast, since they are pretty much snag proof.

KVD's, OSP & Booyah are my favorites right now, Also have a bunch of 3 for $12.00, I likely have 200 to 250 of them, Barry Jia on CBAF Team Ontario 2nd day weight last week was over 14lbs on OSP Spinnerbaits from 6 to 12 FOW, I quit using braid with spinnerbaits because I was breaking too many on the hook set

Richard :Gonefishing:

strike king premier plus are all i use. and someone mentioned that it may be late in the year for using spinnerbaits, i disagree.. rite now it prime time for it. bass are starting to feed heavily on baitfish, and a spinnerbait is a great way to get aggressive bass. i NEVER go bass fishing without having a spinnerbait tied on. i throw them on a 7' med/hvy st croix with a quantum energy PT spooled with 40lb braid.

I don't know were others are fishing, but Bass are open until Nov.30 in Zone 15 and 17 where you and I are.

Spinnerbaits are a great all around bait for Bass, Pike and Musky. I have caught the odd Walleye on them as well.

There are no end to the ways you can fish them, but if you start by just casing out and retrieving you will catch fish.

KVD won plenty of tournaments using Spinnerbaits, so I don't think you need "naive" fish to be successful.

I don't think that there's much to choose between the top brand names.

Better baits have better hooks and a better finish on the blades. The blades on cheap baits tend to rust easily.

The skirts on cheap baits are held on with an elastic band, some better baits like the best Strike King have a better system.

The wire on the cheap baits are often very soft, and the baits need retuning after a good fish or a snag.

Titanium wire was all the rage a few years ago, but has fallen out of favour to a great extent.

I generally teach beginners to cast with baitcasting equipment using spinnerbaits because they are very easy to cast.

Garry2rs

A spinnerbait is one of the most versatile bass lures out there. You can search with it, fish heavy cover with it, fish it fast, fish it slow....just don't get caught into thinking that it is a chuck-and-reel lure. Too many folks limit their sbait fishing to shallow, fast presentations and miss out on most of it's potential.

If I were going to own just one, it would be a white, 1/2 oz, double willow blade....but owning just one is not an option.

I use spinnerbaits with anything from 6lb mono up to 50 lb power pro. Most the my spinnerbaits are cheap ones that are 3 for 10 bucks. There is no single set up or type of spinnerbait that will work.

You must be picking up Blackfly's at Tremblys. A good bait for the price. Some really great colour combos as well.