French River / Rideau Report

Rich Clemens

Well, our last fishing trip of the year has come and gone. We arrived on the North Channel of the French River on Friday Sept. 4 and would be there chasing muskies until the 12th. This was our 5th year at Rainbow Camp. Kinda limited on fishing as there are rapids on both ends of this stretch of the river, but we got about 5 miles or so in which to fish.

We arrived in the late afternoon and unpacked the truck. While Patsy got the cabin set up, I prepared the rods and the boat. With a couple hours of daylight left, we took off. We started out in a bay where I have raised a musky the past couple years in a row. After hitting that pretty good, and seeing nothing, we went back out to the main channel and headed down river to some reed beds. Sure enough, after about 10 minutes of casting the weed lines, here she comes. Not a huge fish, maybe high 30"s. As usual with my luck, she takes a glance and moses on along. Figure-8 a little and a couple throw-backs, but never to see her again.

I thought "Hey - this is gonna be a great week". Met the guys in the cabin next to us and they too were there for some musky action. Got to talkin' musky and learned they had boated 5 during the past two weeks. They reported a consistent weather pattern for the past couple weeks - blue bird skis, limited clouds, and no rain. When we arrived, it was quite warm - warmer than it was back home. We heard that the Temp-humidity-index was hitting 90F and it pretty much stayed that way the entire week we were there. The bite was really tough during the day and they did most of their fishing in the early morning and evening. Good enough for me. They sure were right, hot afternoons, we went out a few times and got the big ole' skunk-o.

There were a couple other places I have spotted my quarry, so we hit those areas as well. Nice bays with scattered weed-beds. Kinda reminded me of Lakair and the West Bay. Early in the week, I raised two fish, but just like the one on the first day, she just stopped by for a look, and kept on going. I thought for a moment that one of them would be interested as she followed the lure for quite a few seconds during the F-8. But, twas not to be ... off they went.

It was tough all week, just as the other guys said it was, few pike here and there, but that's about it. Thursday proved to be the most positive days when I started out with raising two fish in the morning. NADA, BIG ZERO, GOOSE EGG, you name it. So, maybe they had breakfast, so I'll pay them a visit for an evening meal. That evening, back we went to the same place where I saw the two fish earlier in the morning. This was the same bay, but on opposite sides, so I assume I am dealing with two different fish here. BY gosh, I raised the same dang two fish again - again, they just will not bite. Patsy took a throw-back for the one and by gosh, she followed Patsy's bait back to the boat. Figure 8 and nothing ... off she went.

I think I need to do some re-evaluation of my current tactics when I am able to raise a musky like that. Past few years, I'm doing fairly well getting them to the boat, but I just have not been able to get them to bite. Maybe I need to be a little faster with th F-8 and give some more erratic action with my bait. What I'm doing now, sure don't seem to be working very well. But, even seeing them drives up the adrenalin. None of them would be considered trophies, probably not even legal size for up there, but some day, one of them will be real hungry. I guess we see next year.

Although we took a fair number of pictures, we'll select a few to share with everyone. Hope you enjoy.

These are from the first week of our trip - North Channel of the French River.

Our home for the first week - right on the water.

gallery_296_59_15199.jpg

Kia and I on the hunt for the spot where she's hiding.

gallery_296_59_16787.jpg

Nice sunset shot one of the evenings:

gallery_296_59_63448.jpg

gallery_296_59_63448.jpg

Patsy was able to pick up a few pike along the way. With fishing so slow, she spent most of the time sitting back and reading a good book. Of course, once I caught a fish, the book was put down - for a little bit anyway.

gallery_296_59_16065.jpg

One of my successes fishing for musky. This one tooka #5 Mepps bucktail. Left her go to grow a little more.

gallery_296_59_13797.jpg

Scenery shots. Boy - do we love the scenery up there:

gallery_296_59_28473.jpg

This was my largest pike at just 27". After fishing the weed beds most of the week, without a lot of success, I changed tactics and started hitting the shore lines. Caught this one off a rocky shore line. I should have though about mixing things up earlier in the week, as I did the same thing last year, and also hit on a nice sized pike.

gallery_296_59_12323.jpg

Our ride:

gallery_296_59_105418.jpg

It's been a long hard week eh ?

gallery_296_59_71784.jpg

The second week, we headed over to Rideau Ferry in Eastern Ontario to meet up with my father and step-mother for a week of bass fishing. It's a nice drive and pretty scenery going across Ontario on Rt. 17. Too bad it was so darn foggy that morning, that most of the trip was made with limited visibility. But, after a 6 1/2 hour drive, we arrived safe and sounds.

I did the unpacking while Patsy ran into Perth to do a bit of laundry. We packed a mixed bag of clothes, focusing more on cooler weather, so we used up all our shorts and tee shirts the first week. Dad and I got everything unpacked and the boat ready to do. This week would be strictly bass fishing with an expected fish fry later in the week, where everyone in camp gets together. So, I was hoping the 'catching' would be a little better than it had been before.

The week started out pretty good. Not too hot and a nice breeze going. We primarily just float fish for bass there - very little casting. After the first week, my arms needed a good rest. Just a nice little shop on the water is all we need to slowly drift across the weed beds. Landed a couple nice ones, which we kept for our contribution for the fish fry. As it turned out, this was to be the best day for float fishing for the week. After this, mother nature turned on the blower and we had some quite windy days for just about the rest of the week. Wind was just too strong and the lake white-capping to effectively fish the way we like to. Once in the while the wind direction would be such that we could sneak into some smaller, sheltered bays. For one or two days, it was so blasted windy, we didn't spend much time on the water. Friday morning, our last day ... rain. But, don the rain gear and we picked up a few more. We only kept a few fish to eat, while all the rest went back for someone else.

Overall we had a great two weeks, just getting away from everything back home. Relaxing, catching up with old friends, meeting some new ones, and I'm already looking forward to next year.

When's the OFC GTG at Lakair next year ???? (JUst 9 short months away ....sigh)

Here's a few pics from our second week at Rideau Ferry.

No book reading this week - Patsy is catching fish !!!!!

gallery_296_59_29671.jpg

Now she tries to beat my 27" pike, but she came up one inch too short. (sorry hon)

gallery_296_59_26990.jpg

Someone is on fire with the bass here.

gallery_296_59_82704.jpg

Ok. Let Rich catch one too.

gallery_296_59_62574.jpg

A nice burning sunset. We had a couple of these.

gallery_296_59_89784.jpg

Uh yes - the camp fish fry. Doesn't that just make your mouth water ???

gallery_296_59_85883.jpg

Until the next time.

gallery_296_59_54981.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed.

Hey Rich,

Good try mate. :thumbsup_anim:

That's a hard river at times!!

Tried for musky at opener and just got eyes and pike!!

My wife still bugs me about the time she caught a big ol' pike dangling the lure beside the canoe and I caught NADA!

Next year will be different. :)

I grew up with 3 generations of airedales.

Great personalities. Curiosity and love galore.

Cheers,

S.

Great report Rich, looks like you and Patsy had a great time. Sorry to hear the muskies were not too cooperative for you. I've been awaiting this report to see if the "lures" brought any fish to you. If its any consolation, Paul has only had follows this year aswell.

Joey

Great to see some pics of my pups.

They really seem to enjoy the trips and are great in the boat. We stop along the shorelines and let them out for a long run and to take care of business. With not much time for a good snooze during the day, they are wiped out in the evening. Unfortunately, Kia (The Airedale) picked up a viral or bacterial infection sometime during the trip. We had to 'call in' a vet this past Sunday as she was running a high temp, pretty lethargic, and just wouldn't eat or drink. Replace some fluids, shot of antibiotics, and pills for another week. It was just yesterday that she turned the corner and started getting more active and eating/drinking again. Good to see her getting back to her old self again.

I've been awaiting this report to see if the "lures" brought any fish to you.

We gave them a lot of water time, but all we caught was one small pike. It just seemed that I was not having any action on the larger lures. The guys before me were having success with Double Cowgirls, and I threw them too. I eventually downsized my baits to bucktails with #5 and #6 blades. Seemed to have some better luck with the smaller lures. I know just the place to try these sweet things again, but that will have to wait until next June. And yes, Patsy really likes the purple one - special made just for her. I think she nailed the pike on it.)

Seems a rare treat to get a report from ya.

I have to admit the actual reports are rare, as I don't get out much. Heck I spend more time fishing in Ontario than I do in my own home state. I've only been out twice this year down here, and got skunked both times. Found a lake not too far from home that contains some respectible musky that I hit once last month. The place was just socked in with super thick weeds and no sightings at all. Gonna give it a little time and hit that lake again this fall and see what happens. With work, grand-kids, and other things I'm involved in, not too much time left. Who knows, maybe someday I'll get something worth reporting.

I hear from folks looking for info on the French River from time to time, and occassionally the same places I have been. That gives me the opportunity to contribute and share with the others on the board. So, that's a good thing.

Edited by Rich Clemens

A beautiful report Rich and Patsy! It's so nice to see a couple spending so much quality time together. As the others have said, dem musckies is gunna be dere next season as well. Hope you both get yourselves a LARGE one!

Excellent report and pics Rich!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

Yer a lucky dawg to be able to get up to the GWN as much as you do! ;) .. and speaking of dawgs, I see your pooches are looking well... Kia doesn't like me too much but the yellow lab is a sweetie!!!

I'd also like to mention that you and Miss Patsy are looking very well too!... y'all take care now, and I'm looking forward to your next report!!!