The 4th Addition

MCTFisher9120

I have added a 4th setup to my line of rods and reels, a 6'7" Rapala TS2 rod and a Daiwa Megaforce 100TSH Baitcast Reel($165 Combo)

Being my first setup I am completely new to the world of throwing baitcasting reels. I know how to operate the star drag and I think I have a feel for the small knob next to it(spool stops completely when it hits water, or slows down?) However the cast control on the left side of the reel has a scale from 1-10. Where should I put this at? I am going to start throwing a jerkbait slowly and doing side hand casts or flip like casts. Should I press the button and cast the reel with my thumb letting the spool go or stop...

Any helpful insight on this being the easiest for me would be very helpful, I know I wont be a pro over night but I am determined to put time in on the river and practice with it. O and I got 20lb Braid on there if that makes a difference(I know in the backlash world it does)

Thanks for the help,

MTBF

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

Adjust the spool tension knob so your bait slowly decends to the floor Mike, then you should put the cast control on the highest setting and work your way back as you get the feel for it.

You should have fun picking the backlashes out with that 20 lb. braid, I'd have gone a little heavier to start with or an even better choice would have been mono to start with.

Good Luck!

Adjust the spool tension knob so your bait slowly decends to the floor Mike, then you should put the cast control on the highest setting and work your way back as you get the feel for it.

You should have fun picking the backlashes out with that 20 lb. braid, I'd have gone a little heavier to start with or an even better choice would have been mono to start with.

Good Luck!

Agreed but when there is 20lb braid sitting in a box in my room...might as well use it up and get through the worst times this fall...it's summer time when i need the best on the reel.aka 30lb pp, not 20lb spider wire

thanks for the tip also GCD

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

Also, I found it easier to learn with a heavier bait. Once you get a feel for it you'll be able to throw lighter baits with less tension set on the reel.

And like GCD I like heavier line, 20 pound might make some nasty birdsnests but I have a tip for that to. First off, don't cast too hard at first until you get a feel for it, just start with short casts. But you will get birdsnests and this year I figured out a nice little trick for getting them out and it so far has worked every time. After it has nested, pull the line out until it catches. Put your thumb on the spool as tight as you can and give the reel three or four cranks, then try to pull it out again. 8 times out of 10 it gets the knot out, but on real stubborn ones I might have to do this a couple of times. So far I have never had to pick a knot out.

Also, I found it easier to learn with a heavier bait. Once you get a feel for it you'll be able to throw lighter baits with less tension set on the reel.

And like GCD I like heavier line, 20 pound might make some nasty birdsnests but I have a tip for that to. First off, don't cast too hard at first until you get a feel for it, just start with short casts. But you will get birdsnests and this year I figured out a nice little trick for getting them out and it so far has worked every time. After it has nested, pull the line out until it catches. Put your thumb on the spool as tight as you can and give the reel three or four cranks, then try to pull it out again. 8 times out of 10 it gets the knot out, but on real stubborn ones I might have to do this a couple of times. So far I have never had to pick a knot out.

Cool tip man, I heard it was better for mono situations vs braid though. Regardless, better than forkin out the tweezers.

do up a search on the forum and there are many many posts that are for newbie to baitcasters. As others have said, the braid is kind of hard to learn with ... I started off spooling on some higher dia. mono to practice with (as mono is stiffer it's easier to undo the birdsnest). It's up to you ... but if you get a really nasty birdsnest you might end up having to cut alot of the braid off and waste that line. Mind you everytime I get one I take the time to undo it ... no matter how long it takes, it's whether you have the patience to do that or not i guess.

Another tip, you probably have read this one before ... for practicing, pull enough line out for you to make one cast, and alittle more, then put some tape on the spool... this will prevent the birdsnest to get humongous when you do screw up on the cast.

Good luck, i use the baitcaster ~75% of the time when I'm out on the boat now. Still not great with it yet but prefer using it over my spinning set up.

Mike, you'll be fine once you educate your thumb. As Victor said, start with some mono first, and save the braid for now.

Remember, too, that if you find yourself throwing a variety of weights, to adjust your settings accordingly.

Edited by backbay

Mike, you'll be fine once you educate your thumb. As Victor said, start with some mono first, and save the braid for now.

Remember, too, that if you find yourself throwing a variety of weights, to adjust your settings accordingly.

Yup!... and I would start out throwing a larger floating/diving bait so it will sit on the surface while you undo the backlash, instead of sinking to the bottom and possibly getting snagged!

i found 20lb braided was alot better to learn on, when its birds nests while casting out and your lure stops dead the braid wont snap!! trust me on this, i lost a few lures putting 8lb mono on. haha just watched them keep going haha!! i had the megaforce caster and it was a pile, only lasted 3months and i sent it back to cabelas for warrenty and well dont ever go through cabelas for that its been about 8weeks now and still waiting on another reel ( exchanged it for the shimano citica) i started out with #10 x-raps with my caster, i believe i had the setting to number 4 on the left.

Welcome to the wonderful world of baitcasters. I'm about 2 years into them SERIOUSLY and still get bird nests once in a while.... I would say I get a good one probably once every 50 casts or so ?

I found that my 50# braid is far easier to release then any mono or floro..... it seems I can find the point where its knotted up easier with braid.

Try it out and see what happens. With it being your first Reel, trial and error are the best ways to learn.... that's what I did.

Also, like the others have said... try throwing heavy baits first... to get the hang... then gradually go to lighter baits. Like GCD said, throw floating baits first if possible.... that's like salt in the wound.... bird nest, take a few minutes to get it figured out.... go to reel back... SNAG !!!!

Good luck.... Once you get the hang, its tough to pick up a spinning reel again....

One more thing.... not to bash your reel, but I haven't seen the best reviews on that particular one myself.... It does catch my eye every time I see one though. When starting with baitcasters, pretty much everyone will tell you its worth going to a good solid reel the first time, rather then getting frustrated with a cheaper one and giving up. For your next time around... look at a Abu Revo S ($130) or a Shimano Citica($130-$150)..... Nice reels for the money !!!

Have fun ! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Edited by Lunker777

I hope all of you see this post from me but that braid was great. I would pop the button down then hold down with my thumb..release it when i cast. Was throwing a 08xrap at first and it was fine, then that buzzbait, then a skitter pop. Direction was iffy but I say i took about 100 casts in a hour or 2...Very good reel and I'm surprised as to how good that spool stops with my thumb.

I am 25 years into baitcasters and I still get birdsnests from time to time. Here is my bit of advice. You need time using it to get familiar with it. Every baitcaster is slightly different but the set up is essentially the same. First of all I would go to an an open field with about 1/ oz -3/4 of weight. I would use cheap old mono for the first couple of times (after you get the hang of it and learn how to pick and pull out birdsnests I would switch to a quality braid.)

Start with the tension fairly tight and learn how to thumb the spool. After you get the hang of keeping thumb near or on line then start practicing with less tension and longer cast. You will get the hang of it quickly. Remember to put you thumb on the spool just as the lure is entering the water.

Make sure there is no tree, cusion, person, or other object behind you when you cast. If you get caught on anything behind you and then throw, say goodnight to the whole spool of line.

Like anything the more you practice the better you will become

here is a video about that technique >>

There's a little shimano baitcaster I've had for years...it's at camp and I forget the name. It was a little cheaper than the one you bought, but not by a whole lot. Anyway, I have never been able to throw a decent cast with the thing. I have a couple of other baitcasters, and don't have any real problems with them, but this one outfit is just a peice of junk. You can either throw a short cast, or throw a slightly longer cast and get a birdsnest.

Anyway, the reason I mention it is that if that had been the baitcaster I first learned on, I probably would have given up eventually and never picked another one up. If you seem to be having trouble getting the hang of it, see if you can borrow a different one and try that.

hey mike I have the same reel and it works just fine I'm at the end of my 2nd season with it and have had no problems I prefer my curados by far but I do use the diawa in tournies to have the extra set up in the boat .

when I got my first BC it was a cheap BPS extreme but with practice in the house flippin a bell sinker or in the driveway with a busted spinner bait(your nieghbors give ya funny looks)but it was well worth it to learn off the water instead of fighting with birds nests and not fishing. it sounds like your picking it up pretty good on your own but give the flipping to a small target in the yard/basement a try it will make a huge diff in your accuracy and confidence to fire a jig right into a fallen tree without a second thought or a birdsnest have fun and don't get to ticked when you birdsnest anyone that says they don't get them is fibbing .