Attawapiskat River Adventure ~ Quest For Giant Pike

solopaddler

That SIR,was your best, and the best report, on this board, this year.Hands down.

Simply well wrote up and the pics were awesome.

What a trip.

Great read.

TY.

That would be a trip of a life time for some.

Me included.

Edited by misfish

Outstanding. A Fall Steelhead Alley day trip would be just what the doctor ordered.

Why not lug the boats down and combine an erie smallie trip...... :)

If we are into it mid Nov would be best!! fish them cookies and the erie toads all in the same day!!!!

dammit is it June yet!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for that report. A quick question for you, we've discussed the Baby Deer River as a destination and you mentioned that you did a lot of this area as a solo expedition. Does that include that particular river?

You are a funny guy! :lol:

Threw me for a loop there for a second.

Yes I've travelled "The Baby Deer River". :)

Down the Asheweig to the Winisk then up the Frog River and overland (brutal) to the Baby Deer.

Up the Baby Deer to Big Trout and beyond.

The first roughly 26km of the Baby Deer where it's still on the shield are where the brookies are at.

Best bet is a commercial flight to one of the upstream native communities.

Once there try to procure a freighter canoe and motor. You could then navigate up and down the prime stretch and leave via the same way you came in.

The alternative is a ridiculously expensive air charter.

The trick is procuring watercraft in the native communities.

I tried over the phone and failed.

However I believe if you just showed up with a wad of cash you'd get what you want. :)

You are a funny guy! :lol:

Threw me for a loop there for a second.

Yes I've travelled "The Baby Deer River". :)

Down the Asheweig to the Winisk then up the Frog River and overland (brutal) to the Baby Deer.

Up the Baby Deer to Big Trout and beyond.

The first roughly 26km of the Baby Deer where it's still on the shield are where the brookies are at.

Best bet is a commercial flight to one of the upstream native communities.

Once there try to procure a freighter canoe and motor. You could then navigate up and down the prime stretch and leave via the same way you came in.

The alternative is a ridiculously expensive air charter.

The trick is procuring watercraft in the native communities.

I tried over the phone and failed.

However I believe if you just showed up with a wad of cash you'd get what you want. :)

Despite your habit of chasing anadromous exotics in tribs you are now officially my hero.

Oh Ive got a few thousand dollars worth of steelehead equipment gathering dust in my storage locker. Did it a lot for quite a few years before I decided Id rather musky fish. The only steelhead fishing that might still get me going would be the doing the Pancake up to the Mich. I get invited everyyear but it always interferes with prime musky time.

like everyone else has said; great report! So when are you gonna finally stop by? If only I had the money at the time.....

Would have been nice if you could've made it Albert.

I'll stop by at some point for sure.

To everyone else I'm forgetting my manners.

Thanks for the kind remarks, glad you enjoyed it. :)

Gosh... we need a new word that's more epic than epic ....

Thanks for taking the time to put this together and sharing with us.

Victor, it already exists, and has been used on this website.

The word is "VERKLEMPT"

Awesome report Solo.

Well, well, well... Heard all the buzz but it's nice to finally see the story unfold before my eyes. Problem with my new crappy southern internet service is that unfolding (download) took freakin' eons. :lol:

I especially like the part where you mentioned how rich the wildlife is there. It's not just the wildlife Mike, but as well the rich feelings the Attawapiskat gives those who visit. Thinking back to when living there I can't help but agree with that sentiment. You spoke of that erie experience as well... one of mine was while hiking in the bush up there too. With living there, I just wish the fishing was as good for me at the Bay end as I know it can be at the other. Great place. As far as the pike and walleye combo fishing goes I'd take it over any other... being a river rat at heart too.

Anyways, you and the group did superbly, as I guessed you would. Jay loves the toothies more than anything, it's easy to tell. And the old guy Gerd, that's a great experience for a son to take his pops on.

The landscape is no different there than the stretches which go on for like 450 miles downstream. If you can believe it, those caribou once showed up in the peoples of Peawanucks backyards by the 100's. This after they were pushed off their migratory routes because of the Diamond Mine exploration. The pic you got was awesome, they are a "rare" treat to see.

I imagine I'll be heading back there myself in the not so distant future. Life may allow some contract work back in the village. June would have likely worked out too but, you were a little impatient with that weren't ya..?... :P:lol:

You must have measured a few? Any ideas of your longest length on a fish there? I found TONNES were mid to high 30's and a good many fish also hit 40 to 43. The eyes were clone 5lb'ers plus... and amazingly scrappy at that. The river keeps all fish good and fit and strong. Awesome when walleyes pound big pike baits.

Pleasure to read. If your buddy can keep his costs down, his camp clean, his boat and motors tuned, undercut Hearst, (because Nakina is a distance too) and instill camp rules to ensure trophy fish are protected, he should be in high demand. I know this has peaked my interest... but then again, the Attawapiskat is in me so it comes pretty easy. ;)

Thanks for the report dood. We'll talk soon. I gotta head south this fall sometime as well.

Well, well, well... Heard all the buzz but it's nice to finally see the story unfold before my eyes. Problem with my new crappy southern internet service is that unfolding (download) took freakin' eons. :lol:

I especially like the part where you mentioned how rich the wildlife is there. It's not just the wildlife Mike, but as well the rich feelings the Attawapiskat gives those who visit. Thinking back to when living there I can't help but agree with that sentiment. You spoke of that erie experience as well... one of mine was while hiking in the bush up there too. With living there, I just wish the fishing was as good for me at the Bay end as I know it can be at the other. Great place. As far as the pike and walleye combo fishing goes I'd take it over any other... being a river rat at heart too.

Anyways, you and the group did superbly, as I guessed you would. Jay loves the toothies more than anything, it's easy to tell. And the old guy Gerd, that's a great experience for a son to take his pops on.

The landscape is no different there than the stretches which go on for like 450 miles downstream. If you can believe it, those caribou once showed up in the peoples of Peawanucks backyards by the 100's. This after they were pushed off their migratory routes because of the Diamond Mine exploration. The pic you got was awesome, they are a "rare" treat to see.

I imagine I'll be heading back there myself in the not so distant future. Life may allow some contract work back in the village. June would have likely worked out too but, you were a little impatient with that weren't ya..?... :P:lol:

You must have measured a few? Any ideas of your longest length on a fish there? I found TONNES were mid to high 30's and a good many fish also hit 40 to 43. The eyes were clone 5lb'ers plus... and amazingly scrappy at that. The river keeps all fish good and fit and strong. Awesome when walleyes pound big pike baits.

Pleasure to read. If your buddy can keep his costs down, his camp clean, his boat and motors tuned, undercut Hearst, (because Nakina is a distance too) and instill camp rules to ensure trophy fish are protected, he should be in high demand. I know this has peaked my interest... but then again, the Attawapiskat is in me so it comes pretty easy. ;)

Thanks for the report dood. We'll talk soon. I gotta head south this fall sometime as well.

Thanks for that Drew, you're a kindred spirit my friend.

Honestly most of the pike weren't measured. Quick pic and back in the drink. Let's just say they were BIG. :)

Eddie will most definitely be implementing no kill on the pike, as it should be, so no worries there.

And yeah, although I wouldn't describe it as undercutting, his pricing will be below Hearsts..

(6 person minimum to make it economical though).

Sorry about June, but if you're seriously wanting to go call me.

Looking forward to getting you out later this fall with the long sticks.

Cheers bud