Algae bloom brings on feeding binges for local walleye and bass

Spiel

Algae bloom brings on feeding binges for local walleye and bass

Sept. 11, 2009

TERRY CURTIS / www.northumberlandtoday.com

It's that time of year. It happens every fall and, while I can't say I honestly like the start of it, I sure do like the results it produces.

I mentioned last week the fact I love this time of year because as the lake gets greener and greener (due to the annual autumn turnover where all the oxygen on top of the water sinks to the bottom and causes the algae to rise to the top) I have Rice Lake pretty much to myself most days.

A lot of people look at the green slime on the lake and, wondering what is taking place, shake their heads and drive away. If only they knew what they are missing!

All bodies of water go through this annual event, but it's more evident on southern Kawartha lakes because we get the low temperatures at night, then nice warm days and the change in water colour is more pronounced than it is in bigger lakes like Ontario, Simcoe and even the Bay of Quinte.

The beginning week or two of the turnover really slows the fishing down. It takes a while for the fish to adapt to the changing temperatures and water clarity, but then they get the natural urge to start feeding heavily to store up energy for the winter ahead. And do they eat!

Smart fishers will be out on the lakes now, searching out bright green coontail beds and marking them on maps or global positioning units, then rechecking them every few days to see which remain into

the final few days of the fishing season. They die off quickly at this time of year but those that stay will hold the fish as that's where the oxygen is.

Walleye and bass especially relate to this fall turnover and almost lose their brains at times as they concentrate on short feeding binges. With that heavy blanket of green over their heads, expect even walleye to move into very shallow water where you would never find them in the spring or summer seasons. They, like the minnows, crayfish and frogs they feed on at this time of year, feel perfectly safe cruising right up on shore -- and I mean right on shore, even in two or less feet of water especially in the evening or on windy days.

A couple of things to keep in mind here for whacking lots of walleye and bass while the algae bloom is on.

First: for walleye and largemouth bass, finding these weedbeds is crucial. That's where they will live, although they will definitely hit the shallow water I mentioned for evening and windy conditions.

For smallies, hit rocky points, sandy beaches and especially pea gravel bars or humps in shallow water.

Mostly though, concentrate on colour for all three species once you find these remaining weedbeds, clumps and shoreline feeding areas.

The majority of the fish in the Kawarthas feed on perch or bluegill. That's a given. So think lures and baits in the colours those panfish have on their bodies: black or dark green backs; yellow, or even better, orange bellies and sides mixed in with chartreuse sides and cheeks.

Think that's why my number one go-to bait is a Rapala Hot Steel X-SHAD crankbait for buckets and walleye at this time of year? Or a black/chartreuse bucktail jig for the smallies?