monster salmon

steelhead hunter

lake_ontario_salmon_2.jpgdad_lake_ontario_salmon.jpghit lake ontario out of Bronte for the evening fish with my dad and caught this monster didn't have a scale with us so we measured it and used the weight calculator when we got home it was 42" in lenght x 26.5 girth and weighed in at 45.38lbs we figured it was around 30 maybe 35 but wow fish of a life time oh ya my dad got one to it was around 25lbs maybe we didn't measuer his

Wow that's a HAWG, there's been a few real pigs caught off Bronte lately. They lose a chunk of their weight when they get dark but that's still North of 30. Were you the last boat out there, heh now I know why you didn't want to come in :D

Oh if the last boat out there was you pick up a stern light before you get dinged.

That is big. Wow. I am a bit confused from your post. THe fish actually weighed 45 pounds but yout thought it was only 30 or 35?

Either way, that is a huge great lakes fish. congrats

With your weight guessing skill it might be safe to say that your dad's fish wasn't 25 pounds, it probably weighed 35 ;)

Edited by Cudz

That is big. Wow. I am a bit confused from your post. THe fish actually weighed 45 pounds but yout thought it was only 30 or 35?

Either way, that is a huge great lakes fish. congrats

With your weight guessing skill it might be safe to say that your dad's fish wasn't 25 pounds, it probably weighed 35 ;)

when we were on the lake we figured it was around 30 35 we have never seen a salmon that big before we never would have thought 45 thanks for the congrats from everyone

I got one 40 x 27 that was 30lbs on the money. Yours doesn't look as thick, but its prolly just the picture...

When they get dark with the fully developed kype it's been 3+ weeks since they've eaten last, bucks will thin out and lose over 1/4 of their weight before they spawn. Saw a 44" fish up the river last year that wasn't even 25lbs.

SHunter is probably safe if he calls it a 35, but if he wants to stretch it to 45 it's a good thing he doesn't bring a scale :D

When they get dark with the fully developed kype it's been 3+ weeks since they've eaten last, bucks will thin out and lose over 1/4 of their weight before they spawn. Saw a 44" fish up the river last year that wasn't even 25lbs.

SHunter is probably safe if he calls it a 35, but if he wants to stretch it to 45 it's a good thing he doesn't bring a scale :D

I don't know were you get the idea that the fish hasn't eaten in 3+ weeks we were like 2 miles out in the lake and it was caught in the middle of a huge school of bait but what ever makes you feel better :blahblah1::jerry:

I don't know were you get the idea that the fish hasn't eaten in 3+ weeks we were like 2 miles out in the lake and it was caught in the middle of a huge school of bait but what ever makes you feel better :blahblah1::jerry:

It's basic salmon anatomy, as drastic as the spawning changes are on the outside, there are just as drastic changes going on inside. Pacific salmon are incapable of digesting food long before they get dark, doesn't matter if they are up river or still in the lake waiting to run.