Here some Helpful Tips on Minnkota trolling motors......

Whitespinnerbait

So with several posts lately asking about electrical issues concerning Minnkota trolling motors

I recently had some issues myself,, every now and then I had to hit the top of the motor to get the prop to turn ,left and right directions would always work fine . So with them being on different circuits i decided to remove the cover at the top of the shaft ...heres what i found wrong

In behind the cover there is an spaded terminal connection , seems the connections had gotten hot on several occasions and melted the ends of the wires / termianls causing a poor contact between the two .

paulspics046.jpg

paulspics045.jpg

paulspics042.jpg

I removed the spaded connectors and stripped back the wires cleaned ad solder the tips of them then used heat shrinkable union connectors .

paulspics052.jpg

This time i tucked the wires back under the cover and kept them seperated ..Originally they come tight together and when they got hot they melted together...

paulspics050.jpg

Now I can it full speed through the Slop and won't have to worry about the wires getting hot... :Gonefishing::Gonefishing:

Edited by Whitespinnerbait

Man, those terminations are ugly, especially the first two pics. The third was probably OK, but it suffered from the others. I would say that was definatly the problem. As for the fix, great job. My one thought though is that those spade lugs were there for a reason, to take the motor apart for another fix. A bit of a problem now. Or, can you still disconnect them?

Not clear in the photos(to me)if they still come apart or not.