Lots of bears

misfish

Im not a bear hunter,but if our group had a tag for the fall hunt and one were to come by, I would take it. It,s meat after all. BUT,I just watched a coverage that the MNR dosent seem to be on our side, as far as hunters go.

Large population of bears this year and over 1000 calls to the bear watch,all they have to say is take your bird feeders down til winter and put your garbage out the morning of pick up. :wallbash:

The spring hunt was stopped years ago(due to heart bleeders from the big city,we all know this) Now with this being said,the ones that live with the bears,are being harassed by the bears. Pop has had one right up to the back door. He just fired a shot from the 12 guage and off he went. Has others now coming to the house.

So my question is,is it the bears before us,or the other way?

I know they were here before us,but to me IMO,it maybe time to bring back the spring hunt.

3 fishing/camping trips on Crown land this year and two bear encounters, first one was scared off with pots and pans, second one came into camp 2 times including a 4am nighttime visit. Again scared off! The third time it would not have been so luckey B) .

Yes they are everywhere this year!!!

RF

to me IMO,it maybe time to bring back the spring hunt.

Long time overdue.

Never was a valid reason for the cancelation in the first place....

Tree huggers spouting off about orphaned cubs and high priced "expert" oppinions but no science, or studies to prove it....but hey it was a popular Big City topic so it made for some great political jargin.

Funny thing is research now suggests more Cubs are orphaned or destroyed yearly.

Mother bears can be and are often labled a nuiscance bears, destroyed or relocated leaving Cubs to fend for themselves, or face being put down as a humane alternative...

I'm no expert but perhaps the MNR should get on board with the OFAH and put a bit more Science into the mix.

Edited by Cookslav

i saw the same thing on a channel

i guess they could increase the number of fall tags easier than reintroducing the spring hunt

i'm sure there are a lot of orphaned bears because of nuisance bears being shot legally ie culls and illegally

If the population is getting too much for central Ontario, transplant and reintroduce the bears to southern Ontario. Let the city types enjoy the experience of nuisance bears in their neighbourhood :P

We've re-introduced the wild turkey. Why not bears. Ample food supply south of #12 and #503 highways.

Edited by bigugli

Another factor to consider is our increasing population and steady encroachment on limited natural spaces. This is not a simple problem with a simple solution.

Correct me if Im wrong Rob.

Your talking areas like Angus, that have humanly populated and taken over thier space?(Yes I know theres a large population of black bears there and sightings are not uncommon)

Im talking about areas like my pops ,that live on a 4+ mile rd with 5-6 homes. Bush mostly. Each year the numbers are going up. I understand this will happen over the years,but the bear problem is getting worse by the year.

The sollution like you say may not be simple,but letting the tree huggers say whats best? Well like mentioned,time for the MNR and OFAH to get together.

i saw the same thing on a channel

i guess they could increase the number of fall tags easier than reintroducing the spring hunt

i'm sure there are a lot of orphaned bears because of nuisance bears being shot legally ie culls and illegally

As far as I know, there is no allotment for tags. You can just go buy one.

Trouble is, nobody wants a fall bear. They are fat. What you want to eat is a nice lean tender spring bear.

And it used to be a deer and bear license combo. Now they want money for both.

Put one in Donna's backyard and see how fast we get to shoot em in the spring again

They cry because we shoot bears , then they cry because there is bears getting into their garbage, I know if I can get a bead on one durring legal dates its goin down. I had a roast from one last fall and it was very good. I know theres one at our camp right now that likes to eat beer coolers. I hope he hangs around. We have even seen a couple bears in oro at the golf course I work at. BRING ON THE HUNT !!!!!!

They cry because we shoot bears , then they cry because there is bears getting into their garbage, I know if I can get a bead on one durring legal dates its goin down. I had a roast from one last fall and it was very good. I know theres one at our camp right now that likes to eat beer coolers. I hope he hangs around. We have even seen a couple bears in oro at the golf course I work at. BRING ON THE HUNT !!!!!!

Does that one drink the beer too? MMMMMM Bear steak with a subtle hoppy accent.

Correct me if Im wrong Rob.

Your talking areas like Angus, that have humanly populated and taken over thier space?(Yes I know theres a large population of black bears there and sightings are not uncommon)

Im talking about areas like my pops ,that live on a 4+ mile rd with 5-6 homes. Bush mostly. Each year the numbers are going up. I understand this will happen over the years,but the bear problem is getting worse by the year.

The sollution like you say may not be simple,but letting the tree huggers say whats best? Well like mentioned,time for the MNR and OFAH to get together.

Has the surrounding 500 to 1000 square kilometres of bush near your dad's place experienced any development besides the 5-6 homes?

I did not intend for my comment to be construed as a tree hugger's perspective, or to suggest that what they say is best. My comment was more about our increasing footprint as a whole, not about individual encounters. There will always be unwelcome encounters with bears. What is an "acceptable" number??? I don't know. :dunno:

Shooting this year's "problem bears" does not fix the problem because next year, another bear will take this year's bear's place if the larger issue is not addressed.

This is about wildlife populations that don't know municipal or properties boundaries from raspberries. As well as dumb :asshat: politicians that make many of their decisions based on votes and dollars, not science, because we continue to let them.

People in Newmarket, Ontario were mortified to find bears walking through their yards in the last few years.

Everyone was in a panic because they couldn't go outside, let the kids out, etc.

Something had to be done quickly because they couldn't co-exist with the bears in their environment.

These are some of the same tree hugging, anti-hunting people that supported the cancellation of the spring bear hunt.

We're surrounded by IDIOTS !!!

We had a bear walking down the main beach right here in port elgin this past spring.....what a production that went on to try to locate this animal...lol....to no avail

i have eaten bear in the maritimes but it isnt my personal favourite of the meats that are available to be hunted

a bear with its hide off has an erie resemblance to a human

We had a bear walking down the main beach right here in port elgin this past spring.....what a production that went on to try to locate this animal...lol....to no avail

i have eaten bear in the maritimes but it isnt my personal favourite of the meats that are available to be hunted

a bear with its hide off has an erie resemblance to a human

My friend said to me about eating bear. Either you love it, or you gag on it. We were out ice fishing and he had some with him. My kids aged 9 and 12 then, loved it, I gaged on it.

This thread needs some pics.

bear2.jpg

Momma with 3 cubs. You gotta look close, but there are 3

Bruin...no cubs. See, you can tell the difference.

bear1.jpg

Another factor to consider is our increasing population and steady encroachment on limited natural spaces. This is not a simple problem with a simple solution.

It's all part of the natural order, evolution if you will. Man's here, that's a fact. As man evolves and multiplies the previous occupants of the space will have to learn to adapt or disappear. There's probably no way for man and bears to comfortably cohabit a space. We're too dissimilar for that to happen. All the bears are doing is trying to adapt to the new system. That means foraging in the garbage cans that are readily available food sources rather than scrambling ever harder for rodents and berries that are being destroyed by us encroachers.

Man's history is filled with these stories. Also with stories of fiascoes perpetrated by politicians trying to garner votes from bleeding hearts wanting to compensate for or stop this evolutionary process. Unfortunately there's a price to be paid for modern man's procreative and acquisitive nature and it's being paid by the critters and by some of the people involved.

Sadly, we can't have our cake and eat it too.

JF