Finally did it!

tonyb

Hey Tony,

Tell us all how you actually caught the fish. What Lure? How deep? How far back off the rig? I'd LOVE to hear your story and I bet a lot of others would too, especially the Derby Committee. I heard you launched out of Bronte at 7 pm hooked and landed the fish by 7:30 and got up to Franks by 8 to weight in, HUMMMMMMMMMMMMM. I have a picture to post soon.

:o

Those are some big accusations without any proof. Please post proof or move along.

Hey Tony,

Tell us all how you actually caught the fish. What Lure? How deep? How far back off the rig? I'd LOVE to hear your story and I bet a lot of others would too, especially the Derby Committee. I heard you launched out of Bronte at 7 pm hooked and landed the fish by 7:30 and got up to Franks by 8 to weight in, HUMMMMMMMMMMMMM. I have a picture to post soon.

Pretty brave..well actually STUPID..to come on here and say something like this. If you want to throw such innuendo around, and since this is your first post and you decided to be a keyboard hero, your IP address is recorded and available.

Saying something like this can get you into a boatload of trouble. We at OFNCommunity have no doubt about Tony's catch and his standing in the community.

If you have a legitimate beef, I would suggest you contact the tournament committee. Otherwise you are simply a jealous, cowardly punk on an internet forum.

And yes, I mean everything I just said.

Steve-o, I don't know you at all but I hope you aren't accusing me of cheating. If you are, I will gladly take a lie detector test, and if I fail I will pay you $30,000, If I pass, you pay me $30,000 deal?

I didn't post the whole story on here...but did on a couple other more trolling specific boards. You are pretty much correct in your summary though, and what makes it all even sweeter as that I did it on my own! Here is the copy/paste from spoonpullers.com...at your request...

I wasn't planning on going fishing that night, I had even texted my wife saying the night looks like a write-off. The forecasted winds were saying 20-22KM E and we all know what that does to the West end of the lake. As a result of that, I stayed a bit later at work, with no need to be in that mode where every minute counts, trying to get out for a weeknight solo fish.

Well, when I returned to Burlington, the winds weren't blowing like they were in Cambridge, so I decided to take a drive by the lake. When I got down there and saw it wasn't bad at all, the race was on! and I decided to go out after all.

I call it the race, because of what is involved. I have to go to the Burlington GO station, find a parking spot for the car, then hop in the truck and head home to hook up the boat, change, etc.

So after seeing the lake, the race is on to get home to the boat and wouldn't you know it, but the roads in Burlington were absolutely jammed everywhere, and I was hitting every red light, and even got stuck in that left turning lane coming up Brant St., a turning lane that I didn't want to turn with but I wasn't going to cut people off to get my way, so a 5 minute detour and I am back on the planned route.

Get home, change, hook up the boat, skip dinner and I'm back on the road, and start making the trek over to Bronte...and after what seemed like forever, I make it to the launch. I back the boat in, and there is someone at the ramp obviously with some type of trouble in a small green Legend. "Can you give me a boost?" he asks...

"Sure! no problem" I say, call me a sucker I guess but I'm always looking for opportunities to top up the 'Karma bank account'. I am a big believer of the 'pay it forward'/'what goes around comes around' cheeseball crap, So I pull my cranking battery out from under my rod locker and hand it to his buddy. They hook it up and it doesn't work! but then, after some fiddling, he manages to start up his main, and they were elated!

Ready to get on their way they asked if I had been out recently and as I was the night before, I told him to fish in less than 60fow - "Really are you serious!?" they asked shockingly, 'Absolutely!' I told them...

At this point, I was about to explode with impatience inside, as it's already closing in on 7pm! And it is getting darker and darker earlier now so there is not much time left in the evening to fish. However, in the back of my mind, the previous nights experience told me that the bites turned on as the sun was setting...so I remained as calm as I could be and finished the tasks at hand.

After tying up the boat, there are no spots to park anywhere, so I have to drive to the alternative parking lot at the top of the hill (Keep in mind I am by myself!) And I hate leaving the boat unattended like that for that long, but alas, it is what it is at Bronte.

Finally, I am out of the harbour and pounding through 5 footers to get upwind/wave to begin my troll. My program was adapted to the conditions as it is too difficult to manage everything solo and run fancy outfits like lead or even dipsy divers as the dropoff near the mouth comes up/down rapidly and I wanted to work my baits near bottom.

I was running spoons (again from what the previous nights success showed me), and I wanted them rotating and darting near those dark ledges and crevaces where monsters congregate to make dinner plans.

The rods are now set, sonar tweaked, fish hawk telling me to slow down, and I settle into my troll, much, much shallower than the surprisingly large pack of boats working the usual break.

Remember my report from the night before? all those big, juicy hooks in the shallow, now cooler waters were definately Kings...and I was marking them again!

It was probably only about 10 or 15 minutes into the troll when the heavy cloud cover eclipsed the setting sun, and like the low light bite the night before, I got that fishy feeling again, you guys know the one. I slowly turned scanning both rods, anticipating something to happen, it had to!...

My frantic pace from earlier had all but left my mind at this point, I was in the zone, and I can't think of anything else that I enjoy doing that can eliminate stress and slow down the pace like fishing can for me, it's no wonder I am an addict to the pursuit of these critters, I love it!

The BIG moment arrived when I saw the fish hit, and hit hard on the passenger side rigger rod. I lept into action! like a dog springs to it's feet when you walk in the front door after a long day at work, and grabbed the rod to feel what the fish was all about. Turns out, it had a one-way express ticket to a far away destination, and I took that window of opportunity to clear my other rod.

I stuffed the fish-on rod back into the rigger holder, darted across the boat and reeled in the other rigger rod, hit the auto-up switches on both riggers and returned to the fish-on rod. I had to do a double-take at the Tekota's line counter, it was at 600 and climbing! but slowing, until it rolled around to just over 700 feet! and came to a stop.

Alright! I think and I began applying pressure and pumping it back to the boat. I must say, I am really liking 'the walk' technique (walking backwards in the boat, then forward to pickup slack line)

I slowed the boat down in the surging 5 foot waves, and continued methodically retrieving the beast. I eventually got it near the boat, and it stayed deep, took me back and forth a few times threatening a break off on a propeller or engine keel, and darted at one time near the surface and did that open-mouthed-heart-stopping-headshake tactic...holy crap the heart skiped a beat or two!

I knew I had a big fish...but it was hard to see clearly with the chop, dark skies, and no polarized glasses, and from what I saw didn't appear that long!

I had a couple chances with the net but when the fish got close to the boat, it made a couple last ditch effort runs, until I was able to bring the fish close enough to skillfully slide the net under it with my one hand, while heaving back on the rod with the other.

The position is almost like you are hanging off the back of a garbage truck reaching way out to hand someone a rolled-up newspaper

I quickly stuffed the relieved rod into a holder so I could use both hands on the net to heave the fish aboard. When I hoisted it over the gunnel, I knew what I had laying at my feet, a Derby Fish! but there was no time to relish in the moment, the fish was bleeding and after unhooking it went right into the livewell.

I glanced at the time, and it was 7:37, holy crap I need to get moving! Rods and everything were basically just thrown into the bottom of the boat for the run in.

Everytime I drive the Lund, I am impressed with how it handles the water, and this is one of those cases where having a boat that can withstand some serious pounding helped me.

I pushed the throttle down and began my race back to the ramp, trying to beat the closing weigh-scale at Bronte Outdoors in less than 25 minutes!

The boat bashed through waves with ease like a fat kid playing Red Rover, and in no time I was back at the boat ramp. No time for bumpers, tie the boat up, and RUN!

Remember that alternative parking lot!!? damn me!

I felt like I was trying out for some crazy Japanese reality tv show like Unbeatable Banzuke. I ran the whole way across the field, up the stairs, through the forest and to the truck, hopped in and zoomed down to the ramp.

If anyone has been to Bronte launch you know there are about 35 speed bumps from the road to the ramp (ok not that many but it seems that way when you are in a hurry!) It was torture! But I stayed focused to get the trailer lined up perfectly and get the boat on the trailer locked down and properly in one swift attempt, no issues let's roll!

More torture over the speed bumps, and I eventually screech into the Bronte Outdoors parking lot right up front, ignoring the parking spaces entirely, and racing inside at minutes before close!

The fish hit the scales and my eyes lit up as the digital readout settled firmly at 33.76, the hair stood up on the back of my neck, and I shouted Wooohoo! hell yeah...HELL YEAH!

Pics removed from this spot as they were included in the initial post

Everything can change with a single bite, and that is what makes the GOSD so exciting and available to anyone who fishes it, you just never know!!!

Specifics about the behemoth

Caught at 48' down over 50' out in front of Bronte.

Temps were 56 degrees at depth, 68 at the surface.

Speed 2.3mph at the probe.

The lucky lure was an old favorite Big Ern, can't recall the name of it, but it's a little worse for wear now

IMG_0006Medium-4.jpg

Mission Accomplished...

http://www.sportshows.ca/SalmonDerby/updates.php

Thanks for reading!

Tony

It's been a great 1st year with my Pro-V, earning some money in 4 differnent tournaments and landing 2 fish over 33lbs.

Here is a picture of the other 33.70 pound fish, caught Aug 1st...which we didn't enter into the GOSD because not everyone on the boat had a derby ticket!

Tightline_08-01-2009_10.jpg

IMG_0004Medium-3.jpg

Advanced Taxidermy has both fish in their freezers at the moment as they are both being mounted. Gman (in the picture at the top) with his new PB King and me with my weekly winner, both good reasons to put a fish on the wall.

Tightline_08-01-2009_6.jpg

We won $1000 for Gmans fish because Zane (kid in the picture) entered his 34.64lb fish the same day into the GOSD and held on to win it!

Since he would have won big fish prize, we donated the trophy to him, as it was in memory of his grandpa.

101_0018copy.jpg

IMG_0037Medium-4.jpg

Tony

Edited by tonyb

It's OK Tony, I won't tell anyone. Just remember this people were out on the water that day and took alot of picture and video of different things, I seen your fish at Franks and that Lamp ray mark looked very familiar, actually the whole fish did. I'm not going to crap disturb any farther. Your a lucky guy to win that boat but again I state look around before you do something and make sure people aren't watching you. if I posted what I have on this forum I'd be a hero in some peoples eye and a excellent person in others. So this is not to be an ass but to remind you of how close you are to trouble. If anyone wants to see what I have please feel free to contact me and meet me at Bronte Pier, I'd be MORE then happy to show.

By the way if this is a serious offence in what I'm claiming I'd be more then happy to take it to the Beaver. I have no reason to come out here and crap on anyones parade but when I found out about Tony winning the prize 3 days ago I've be contemplating about going public.

Tony I bet you caught the fish (caught being the key word) between the first two apartment building just to the right of the 2nd lighthouse about 1/2 km out.

Edited by steve-o-

It's OK Tony, I won't tell anyone. Just remember this people were out on the water that day and took alot of picture and video of different things, I seen your fish at Franks and that Lamp ray mark looked very familiar, actually the whole fish did. I'm not going to crap disturb any farther. Your a lucky guy to win that boat but again I state look around before you do something and make sure people aren't watching you. if I posted what I have on this forum I'd be a hero in some peoples eye and a excellent person in others. So this is not to be an ass but to remind you of how close you are to trouble. If anyone wants to see what I have please feel free to contact me and meet me at Bronte Pier, I'd be MORE then happy to show.

By the way if this is a serious offence in what I'm claiming I'd be more then happy to take it to the Beaver. I have no reason to come out here and crap on anyones parade but when I found out about Tony winning the prize 3 days ago I've be contemplating about going public.

Tony I bet you caught the fish (caught being the key word) between the first two apartment building just to the right of the 2nd lighthouse about 1/2 km out.

So you've gone ahead and made the accusation, and now your withholding the information "not to be an ass". You've clearly made your decision to go public and without backing up your claims your just making yourself look foolish.

Ill be there tonight 7pm at the lighthouse work for you

Please show then, I have nothing to hide, but it sounds like you do...

Stop catching so many 30's and the numpties will stop coming out of the woodwork :D

Look at it this way, you haven't made it tournament fishing until somebody starts calling you a cheat!