Restoration time again

Bernie

Brian, the boats had a name plate on the dash board of the deck. The really old ones had a cast nameplate that I would love to find. I was hoping this one had one but unfortunately did not.

Jocko, the boats are somewhat similar to the Peterboroughs in the fact they are both cedar strips. The Peterborough had rounded ribs and was a little more finely finished. But this also raised the price of them at the time and I believe with the arrival of aluminum boats it put them out of business. Our boats are more oriented towards camp use and are also built stronger because of that. They still remain very popular for use by the tourists at the camps. They are easier to handle in wind and waves and the wooden seats don't tend to get flaming hot in direct sun as aluminum can sometimes get.

Brian I am not sure who made that one. Several company's made cedar boats way back when and also lots of them were homemade.

Looks to be in not too bad of shape although looks can be deceiving. A new one would be less than that $3500( minus the trailer).

Great find Bernie! A sanding and lemon drop work day sounds great but do you really want that to happen Bernie??

JOE!! You are suppose to gently sand the entire area, not just the one spot that the sander went through..... :o:o:o:rolleyes:

It's entirely up to you Bernie. :D Looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks. :)

Jocko, the boats are somewhat similar to the Peterboroughs in the fact they are both cedar strips. The Peterborough had rounded ribs and was a little more finely finished. But this also raised the price of them at the time and I believe with the arrival of aluminum boats it put them out of business. Our boats are more oriented towards camp use and are also built stronger because of that. They still remain very popular for use by the tourists at the camps. They are easier to handle in wind and waves and the wooden seats don't tend to get flaming hot in direct sun as aluminum can sometimes get.

Thanks, Bernie. So I take it they are built along the same lines and would look somewhat similar to the untrained eye (like mine).

I saw a cedar strip a few weeks ago (cruising a few hundered yards from our shore) that looked to be in very nice shape but it was completely painted in a gray and white scheme with a name or logo painted in big letters along the side. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of it. I enjoy seeing that kind of boat more than seeing fancy "runabouts", but spotting one is very rare.

Yes, from what I recall of my Grandpa's boat, these boats are great for choppy water because of their weight and their lines. They don't bounce or pound like a tin boat. They need a bigger motor to match the speed of an aluminum, but speed isn't everything, and in rough water you can actually travel faster with them.

Altogether a better boat for sea-handling qualities, but they require a lot more maintenance, I think. Would I be right in thinking that that's the main thing that puts people off them nowadays?

You can't sand a boat with a lemon! Great find Bernie! She'll look great up beside your Dad's and Uncle's boat! Gerritt is correct... I recall fondly riding in a similar boat, in the 70's vacationing on the French with my family.

It's look great when your done!

HH