Largemouth bass with orange fins?

Devious

I was out fishing with my buddy Jeff last night for largies and he caught one that had bright orange fins and tail? This was on a back lake and ive never seen anything like it....every fin including the tail was bright bright orange exactly like a perch....we got some pics but I dont have them yet and will post them when Jeff sends them to me. Anyone experienced this or have an explanation? Did a perch bone a bass ? Haha

Edited by Devious McMurphy

was the water hot? did it take a while to land?

perhaps a sign of a stressed fish.

Didnt take long to land at all because it wasnt all that big....around a lb or a bit smaller I think...not sure how warm the water was but it was warm out yesterday....im gonna try and post the pics later but im not sure if Ill be able to get them for tonight.

Maybe it was an Atlantic Salmon....

Sorry...someone had to say it..lol.

Can't wait to see the pics. I have noticed musky from St Clair have very oddly coloured fins..maybe a local colour thing?

Maybe? Ive fished this lake all summer since I was kid since thats where our cottage is and ive never seen anything like it...or on any lake ive fished for that matter.

Edited by Devious McMurphy

Didnt take long to land at all because it wasnt all that big....around a lb or a bit smaller I think...not sure how warm the water was but it was warm out yesterday....im gonna try and post the pics later but im not sure if Ill be able to get them for tonight.

Okay, now that you've elaborated...Sometimes juveniles will have an orange colouration in their fins.

I've seen it more often in smallmouth but it's not unheard of with largemouth. Remember they are members of the sunfish family.

I am going to go with Red Oscar.

People have them as pets and when they get too big they toss them. A few have survived. They can look a bit like a bass.

edit**

Upon further review I want to take my guess back. They are more orange bodied with black fins.

now I just want to see the pic.

Edited by Cudz

I have seen that before in Smaller Bass as well.

I used to fish the conservation area in Durham when I was younger, and it was common in the smaller fish to have the orange fins.

The larger fish did not have orange fins but they did have exceptionally red eyes on occasion.

I'm no expert but I'd guess its an enviromental coloration based on some sort of habbitat oddity.

Oh, and I'm talking smallmouth Bass, not largies :)

Edited by Cookslav

• 2 weeks later...