What type of line do you use For Flipping/pitching?

Fishing 24/7

im heading up north to Lake Mazina aka bon echo park, very deep and clear lake, what line would you guys recommend for flippin docks up there?

im used to flipping with 50lb power pro here on the kawarthas.. but should i maybe make the switch to fluro or mono up there in the clear water?

or should i just use a fluro leader?

Edited by fish-miester

I rigged up a 7' fluro leader and sharpied about 10 feet of my braid..

as for fishing24/7 I'd recomend braid .. you can feel everything with it .. but use a leader in crystal clear water.. but have the leader no longer then your rod or the knot can mess up your flip or pitch

Never had too much negative bites when flippin direct with braid. Usually run 50-65lb for the real heavy stuff and have a 30lb rig close by. Like flipping the camo line now and tying to the black portion. That puts the light brown sections 3-4 ft from the lure and I pick up line movement from lite bites way easier. Trying the power pro red too soon.

Lately i have liked flipping more with mono again as I seem to get better slippage through the heavy mats.

i have been flippin with 50lb red power pro (i figgured because the slop on scugog turns orange/red'ish ..) , and its been working great , but it seems that the red looses colour alot faster then normal.. or maybe im just using it more? so i have busted out the sharpie a few times..

I use 50# yellow power pro and absolutely love it. I colour the last foot or so with a spike it garlic marker. I have fished in the clearest of water and never had a problem getting bit. There is nothing like the rope! I used to use leaders but realized that people fishing next to me with straight rope were not outfishing me at all. I only fish largemouth and think the only good smallmouth is the one that hits a flipping jig!

seems like everyone uses braid....

i talked to a guy in a local tackle shop he told me to une heavy mono. because i fish clear water.

he also mentionned that he dosent fill up the spool like usual he fills it up half ways...

come to think of it the spooling thing makes sense.

when your flipping your not trying to get your lure FAR away.

less line means less birds nest.

ill try braid like you guys say.

how can a bass resist a pignjig right in his face.

the braid will not stop him from inhailling the lure! :lol:

Originally pros used heavy mono (20-30lb test) for flipping. When braid came along, alot of guys started to use it. Braid is more sensitive and thinner in diameter but now alot of pros and big bass hunters are going back to mono. Both have their positives and negatives, braid is stronger and more sensitive. it also has very little stretch and can pull giants out of the thick stuff. Mono is less visible has more stretch but a good thing is you can see and feel nicks and imperfections in the line so you can re-tie when needed. I have lost alot of bass flipping with braid because I didn't know that is was nicked or weakened. I use 1 rod with braid for pads, heavy cover, stained water and 1 rod with mono for docks, trees and clearer water. My fishing partner always uses braid and always does well. They both work, it's what you feel confident with.

Edited by WeedLine