Outboard trailering Q?

Bigfisherman

When I bought my boat.....the salesman advised to put a strap around the motor to stop it from moving from side to side when towing...so I centre the steering and use the eye bolts on the transom and wrap the strap around the motor....that way it wont heave side to side. Whether its a good idea or not I dont know.

Dean's idea seems great though and makes a lot of sense....

Bill

I use a Transom Saver and the motor is kept straight because of the design of it.

Ditto!!! :Gonefishing:

Sinker Posted Today, 05:28 PM

Mine just bounces wherever it wants to go.......usually to the right though

Mine bounces to the left because I'm right handed!... but... ur... eh... we're talking outboards and not "Hose-A" eh? B)

If you raise your motor for trailering (like you would when beaching the boat) you're producing a lot more stress on the transom every time you hit a bump, unless you use a transom saver.

Because of the design of my boat and trailer, I always left the motor in a "down" position and tied it to the trailer with a tie-down strap underneath the cavitation plate. The motor was always turned to one side because the fit of the strap was more snug. My skeg still cleared the ground by a good 8".

On gravel roads (which I travelled a lot) I always wrapped the part of the lower unit projecting below the trailer with a piece of old carpet, shock-corded in place, to protect from stone chips.

If you raise your motor for trailering (like you would when beaching the boat) you're producing a lot more stress on the transom every time you hit a bump, unless you use a transom saver.

Because of the design of my boat and trailer, I always left the motor in a "down" position and tied it to the trailer with a tie-down strap underneath the cavitation plate. The motor was always turned to one side because the fit of the strap was more snug. My skeg still cleared the ground by a good 8".

On gravel roads (which I travelled a lot) I always wrapped the part of the lower unit projecting below the trailer with a piece of old carpet, shock-corded in place, to protect from stone chips.

... because you're too cheap to invest in a transom saver???

Quit tryin' to bust my ass, GCD. My skin is too thick. ;)

My transom sticks out too far from the trailer frame to use a transom saver.

If your skin was that thick, you would've ignored me altogther... unless you actually like the abuse (like I do) :)

Make a transom save out of a dovetailed 2x4 like HTHM does!... that way you can pick it off the top of the water (because it floats) when you forget to take it off before you launch!......... aint that right HomeTownHandyMan!??? :w00t:

If your skin was that thick, you would've ignored me altogther... unless you actually like the abuse (like I do) :)

Make a transom save out of a dovetailed 2x4 like HTHM does!... that way you can pick it off the top of the water (because it floats) when you forget to take it off before you launch!......... aint that right HomeTownHandyMan!??? :w00t:

My choice as to whether I want to ignore someone. If I played it like that it wouldn't be much sense posting here, or as much fun. ;)

My system worked fine, but thanks anyway. B)

Guest skeeter99

this may seem a little anal but here goes

I always put my engine in gear when towing, my friend who is a marine mechanic does this himself also

why you ask?

I have seen a prop seal melted to the propshaft from trailering a long distance on the highway spinning cause of the air, no water to cool the rubber or the shaft down

and I have seen lots of props spining on boats on the 401 etc

I always put my engine in gear when towing, my friend who is a marine mechanic does this himself also

why you ask?

I have seen a prop seal melted to the propshaft from trailering a long distance on the highway spinning cause of the air, no water to cool the rubber or the shaft down

An old wives tale Bubba, you would have to trailer from here to the moon for that to happen!!!... unless it was a tiller, then your best option would be to use the motor for an anchor!!!

Edited by GCD

... the more you suffer... ;)

It's not "abuse" through this medium... it's just words. ;)

I confess, there's definitely an entertainment factor to your writing, though probably not always in the manner you intend. :)

Jocko a word of advice your motor may clear the ground as is now but if you get a flat tire the motor will be dragging its foot down the highway.

Thanks Mike, that's certainly possibility in that kind of set-up.

It's been years since the boat has been on the trailer (it's now pulled up on a ramp at the water all year) so the "good 8 inches" was a guess. I did get a flat without the motor touching the ground once or twice. I even broke a spring once without consequences to the motor.

I used to do so much trailering that I always kept a spare tire and rim, spare bearings, grease and removal tools in the truck, and even a spare hub, just in case. No spare spring though! :)

I always put my engine in gear when towing, my friend who is a marine mechanic does this himself also... I have seen a prop seal melted to the propshaft from trailering a long distance on the highway spinning cause of the air, no water to cool the rubber or the shaft down

That sounds plausible. But my motor will not lock down when in gear (only when in neutral) so it was in neutral all the time when trailering. We used to go on highway trips of up to about four hours (Timmins to Wawa or Timmins to Nipissing) and didn't encounter such a problem.

why you ask?

When I picked up the boat the dealer told me to leave it in gear so I did for a few times then I actually read the outboard manual and it said NOT to trailer in Gear...

I use a transom saver now seems to work well but its still not that high off the ground I will measure next time I use it. But I always wondered why most boats I see the motors where to turned to the right.

Thx