What's your favourite Tackle Shop in Ont.

Roger

Big boys buy into the millions with a distributor therefore they get better pricing. The profit margin is usually the same between the bigs and littles +/- a little.

There is something to be said for the $5 difference though, pretty hard to put a value on experienced advice and guidance from those who truly care about their business.

Tightlines has always been my favorite for over 20yrs now.

My bro and I still joke about the time I went to BPS and asked where the keel weights were and the guy walked me over to the anchors.

Kinda like asking for a kill switch and being shown the handguns.....

LB's / Bpro Selection and you know thats the average cost.

Service at LB's is MUCH better than Bpro but really if you need a staple mepp's who care's

Fishmasters on the grand, little more in cost that LB's\Bpro but you make that up in the information he gives.

Every local spot I go that they treat me like I am a regular customer I buy somthing too support the local guy. You can never have too much

Bridgenorth Sports gets my vote, probably cause it's the only decent tackle shop around here. Frank is a friendly enough guy and will try to get anything you want. Prices are obviously higher than Lebaron or BPS but there is something to be said for friendly, local service.

I have never dealt with Frank but Natalie/Natasha (?) sure knows her carp equipment and if they don't have what you want on hand they will order it in...unfortunately I discovered New World Carp Tackle through the CAG board and placed an order through them with the $50 my son dropped on me for Father's Day...it took a little longer via the post office but I blamed that on the July 1st holiday falling on a Wednesday this year and I appreciated the couple of freebies they threw in... :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Beans

I don't even think it's the best tackle shop in Caygeon. You wouldn't be related to the owner's would you :angel: Been going to Mark's Worm Warehouse out on the highway for years. KLO has nothing on him. I went in KLO once when it first opened. Nice enough fellow in there and I got a free donut from him. I wish them luck...but seriously even BUCKEYE has more stuff and so does the little convenience store out beside Nogies creek. So I would rank KLO 4th in Bobcaygeon. You are related to the owner... right :whistling:

Yep...gotta agree with CPH...Kudos to Mark at the Worm Warehouse...and not just because he puts up with listening to the ramblings of this old fart... :thumbsup_anim:

As a kid,( before there was a 400 extension) the only place to go was Elwood Epps just outside of Orillia. Always helpful and friendly, and our family would never dream of going anywhere else. Even a few years back he would still come into the store to gab.

Today, I live in Niagara, so Pete's is tops for selection and Fishin Niagara for advice.

Gagnon's in Oshawa has always done me well.....The service I have had there has been great.....and Wayne helped me a lot with buying my first baitcaster. Even offered to take me out front and show me what to do.

I also like Angling Specialties on Kennedy road in Scarborough. Service is also good there......

Bill

Edited by bassboy

Paul at KLO is a great guy and the store is coming along, it's getting better all the time, saying that I will also frequent hirk's in courtice for good conversation and good advice and i have been using gagnon's for uncountable years and can't say i have ever had a problem with them.

Is there really any bad tackle shops? :lol:

on the big box front; if cabelas ever makes it to southern ontario, you guys will all quickly forget about bps. i make a point of visiting their locations when i am in the states.

lebarons is alright for a mid sized place.

jbs fishing depot gets the most of my business though.

i only get to ontario once a year, but for us ellwood epps has always been a tradition to stop in even if we dont need anything. we usually buy 40 or 50 dollars worth of stuff, just because of the wide selection and pretty good deals. i have even knocked off an hour or so of sleep in the parking lot just waiting for them to open. i have about 17 years of memories there, and dont see it changing in the near future.

jason

I've been to BPS twice now, and left with nothing both times. I won't be back there, no need to go that far for nothing........even if it saves me a few bucks, I'd rather stay close to home.

If I need salmon gear I hit up Gagnons. Musky gear its tightlines or Marks Worm Wearhouse. Anything else I need I can usually get at CT in Lindsay........they have a wicked fishing section.

I also do a lot of dealings with Kawartha Bait and Tackle. Gerry will get you anything you want in short order.......if he doesn't have it. He also makes some nice custom spinners in there. Just ask if you don't see it, and he will either make it, or get it in for you. He doesn't have a pile of stuff, but the stuff he has is what you need.

I've been meaning to stop in at Hirks for ages now, but still haven't been in there. I have to check it out.

S.

Admittedly, I hit BPS more than the others just because I end up there a few times a year with my wife because she loves shopping that mall it is attached to.

For local tackle though they guys at Bridgenorth Sports are Marine are the best around. I've never made it all the way up to Bobcaygeon to KLO, but BSM carries most everything I fish with and they are friendly fellas. I find their prices to be a hair high, but in the end, if I need something its cheaper than going all the way to Vaughan from Ptbo.

Honestly, most of my hardbaits come from antique lure collectors who sell the fishables cheap that they get out of their field finds. That's the cheapest way to go for me :)

I wish I lived closer because since I've started hearing about Angling Outfitters on our board and particulary Jocelyn, I have heard nothing but very good things about those folks.

That would be my pick. Jocelyn is great but so are the rest of the crew. You gotta love the banter between Jocelyn and Sherm, it always puts a smile on my face when you hear Sherm bugging Jocelyn about not having ordered something. Jos is great with newbies, he goes that extra mile to build up that customer base, and will spend the time pointing out spots on a lake to fish, lures to use, and suitable tackle. He showed me the ropes a decade ago.

I do try to stop in every fishing store that I can. I have a thing for spoons. :P

Edited by scuro2

I have Hit "just about" every takle shop in a two hour drive ! ! There'r all great cause their there... Everyime i go to bass Pro to fish for "Who Knows what" I walk out shaking my head saying I coulda spent an extra ten bucks at the local shop ! and got EXACTLY what I wanted .. So tht's what I do Now is I go on the search for Another bait shop that I've never been in ! ! The Splash the Wilcraft in Fresh to me waters and Learn ! Pretty cool that !

Slyatv

I have a few favorites.

Adrian at Grimsby Tackle does a great job and Trombly's in Orillia have also got a great store.

Further north, Gramps just north of Marten River and Pop's in Temagami are both good shops.

I have also been into Romakko's in Sudbury once and was very impressed.

Jack.