Do you wear a life jacket while fishing

knightfisher

perhaps my reply was taken the wrong way...I'm not saying it's a good idea, I'm not encouraging it....but i'm not against it either....if it happens i'll suck it up and won't be bothered by it

I'm just saying it's not different from wearing a seatbelt....and does anybody argue that anymore? so we all might as well expect it coming sooner or later and just get used to the idea....

regardless of anybody's opinion on gov't....there are some aspects/branches of gov't/other public bodies that try and improve society....(PS - do not beat me down on this, I do not love the gov't, just saying that there is reason behind the madness with this specific topic)

While boating deaths overall are down, not

wearing a PFD (personal flotation device) or

lifejacket is still a big contributor to the drowning

problem. During 1996-2000, the same number of

boaters not wearing PFDs still drowned as in the

previous five years—643 victims. Most boating

victims were not wearing a PFD (85% of those

for whom PFD information was available). And

one-third of victims did not even have a PFD in

their boat (31% of deaths for which PFD

information was available). Stronger measures

appear needed to motivate more Canadians to

wear a PFD

Almost all boating victims are male (91%). Half (48%) of all

boating victims are 35 to 64 years of age. One-third (33%)

of boating victims are 18 to 34 years of age.

http://www.lifesaving.ca/content/english/p...ingRepFinal.pdf

google US boating accident stats....much more US content than CDN available

bottom line is very simple.....pfd's help save lives....the push to enforce them will only get stronger

I wasn't wearing my seatbelt and I got hit with 2 points and 115 fine....but I didnt' carp about it, I knew better so I sucked it up and I damn well wear my seatbelt every second in my car now....hit my wallet and it is effective enforcement.....so maybe someday that will end up saving my life....

somebody said this, " It's a matter of managing risks. YOU CAN'T MANAGE THEM ALL"

that is exactly the point....but you can manage/reduce your own risks....and wearing a pfd helps reduce your risk....most boating accidents occur while the vessel is engaged in motion...aka there is a much higher risk of being ejected from your vessel on the water than in your car....in that split second before impact how many are going to grab and fasten their pfd????

everybody on this board I'm assuming would consider themselves to be experienced on the water...so we possess a better safety awareness/common sense on the water.....but the bulk of deaths occur with recreational boaters, novice boaters....sunny, good weather days also have the most deaths/accidents.....

it's purely an inconvenience of comfort to anglers but overall has potential to seriously reduce deaths in the big picture of things.

legislating mandatory pfd's would be aimed at reducing preventable death on the water......it's not a tax grab, it's not spoon feeding the weak/dumb/can't think for themselves....there's public interest behind it, perhaps not anglers or anybody else on this forum, but there is a public push for more enforcement.....

would you call a minimum 2k fine a tax grab for speeding 50km over?....it's applying enforcement where it makes a difference and people will actually be scared of the consequence and prevent them from repeating those same actions...it's no different than wearing a seatbelt....

you can't argue that using common sense "should" be able to prevent everything....common sense is a great idea in concept but it never works in reality because it simply doesn't exist in reality....and that's where the mandatory thing steps in....

"Almost all boating victims are male (91%). Half (48%) of all boating victims are 35 to 64 years of age"........I'd say it would be very interesting how these stats would relate to the popular opinion on this board.....

"Almost all boating victims are male (91%). Half (48%) of all boating victims are 35 to 64 years of age"........I'd say it would be very interesting how these stats would relate to the popular opinion on this board.....

I heard once that a large portion of the these male victims had their fly open when they went over, lost their balance while whizzin over the side, I actually think there is some truth in that or is it one of those urban myths?

Edited by dave524

I heard once that a large portion of the these male victims had their fly open when they went over, lost their balance while whizzin over the side, I actually think there is some truth in that or is it one of those urban myths?

That was half of them, the other half said... " hold my beer... HEY Y'ALL!!! WATCH THIS!!!"

Edited by GCD

I heard once that a large portion of the these male victims had their fly open when they went over...

I wonder if Bill Clinton wears a PFD??

and if you think that you wont fall over while wizzing.. it has happened to me.. thankfully in 3 feet of water.

I wear mine always when in the canoe and when under heavy power (not trolling if its too hot out).

I would be for a law that has it manditory in canoes/kayaks and in smaller (say under 20ft) boats under power (faster than trolling speed, say 20Km/h+).

Burt :)

I wonder if Bill Clinton wears a PFD??

and if you think that you wont fall over while wizzing.. it has happened to me.. thankfully in 3 feet of water.

It happened to a buddy of mine. Mind you I threw a perch at him while he was leaning over. It was followed by a good laugh.

Consider the following:

For all you tough guys/gals out there that think you don't need a PFD. Take a dry change of clothes with you the next time you go out, then... when you're in water over your head (7-10'), jump in fully clothed (long pants, shoes, and shirt) and see how far you can swim... Then when you get tired of swimming (which won't be long with all those clothes on), see how long you can tread water! Then when you're pretty tired of that, try to climb back into the boat!

IF you can get your ass back into the boat without help... I'm sure you will have a different outlook on wearing your PFD!!!

Try it, you aint as young as you used to be!

For all you tough guys/gals out there that think you don't need a PFD. Take a dry change of clothes with you the next time you go out, then... when you're in water over your head (7-10'), jump in fully clothed (long pants, shoes, and shirt) and see how far you can swim... Then when you get tired of swimming (which won't be long with all those clothes on), see how long you can tread water! Then when you're pretty tired of that, try to climb back into the boat!

Oh come on! I've been fishing and boating for better than 50 years now and I NEVER have fallen out of a boat (GOD'S HONEST TRUTH), nor has anyone else with me. What kind of a risk factor are we talking about?!

You people that want to legislate until we get into the fine details of risk are NUTS!

Sorry, blunt, but this is starting to piss me off. Let's let people manage their own risks.

Let's let people manage their own risks.

That usually the American way... whats up GCD.. in favor of more government involvement in your life. ie communism?? Next they tell ya ya cant drink shione, cause its bad for ya... LONG LIVE THE SOUTH!!!

I wore mine on the Niagara River, and a lot of days on Erie I'll gladly put it on.. but most of the time do not. I know, I know, you can drown in a bowl of soup.. but I have a lot of confidence in my swimming skills. Especially in a boat that tops out at 5mph.. lol

Oh come on! I've been fishing and boating for better than 50 years now and I NEVER have fallen out of a boat (GOD'S HONEST TRUTH), nor has anyone else with me. What kind of a risk factor are we talking about?!

You people that want to legislate until we get into the fine details of risk are NUTS!

Sorry, blunt, but this is starting to p*ss me off. Let's let people manage their own risks.

There's always a first time and it only takes once to be sorry you didn't!!!

I haven't fallen out of the boat, but a buddy of mine did!... good thing it was warm weather!

If you've been boating for 50 yrs.... jump your decrepit ol' ass in the water and see how far and for how long you can swim/tread water!!!

If people would look out for themselves and take the appropriate safety measures... there wouldn't be a need for the legislature eh???

You can't argue with statistics... unless you are one waiting to happen!!!

Show us that you love your friends and loved ones, wear you PFD!!!

There's always a first time and it only takes once to be sorry you didn't!!!

Can you imagine applying this to every little risk you've taken in your life?!

If you've been boating for 50 yrs.... jump your decrepit ol' ass in the water and see how far and for how long you can swim/tread water!!!

Why would I want to do that? I never have... even by accident... and if I was in the water why would I swim for the shore when the boat is right next to me?

If people would look out for themselves and take the appropriate safety measures... there wouldn't be a need for the legislature eh???

Why do you feel you have to legislate every risk? But that seems to be the modern mind-set, so maybe you're right in step.

Show us that you love your friends and loved ones, wear you PFD!!!

Hugs and kisses too. :wub:

Edited by Jocko

I don't understand all the fuss about this....no different than a seatbelt and that's mandatory...

I dissagree with that statement. Life jackets are far more uncomfortable than seat belts. Life jackets interfere with me getting a tan... or are you going to make that illegal too? Life jackets make me feel much hotter on a humid summer day; a seat belt doesn't make any difference in my air conditioned truck. I have climbed back into my boat on many occasions... its cheaper than buying lures from a tackle store ;) Climbing back into my boat after falling out would be easier than climbing back into my truck after being ejected through the window. I have been boating longer than I have been driving... I have been in car accidents, I have never fallen out, or tipped a boat. I drive to get from point A to point B; I boat for recreation...

I don't think you can really compare the two. I'll stick to making my own decisions about when to where a PFD.

Most boating victims were not wearing a PFD (85% of those

for whom PFD information was available).

That statistic is really quite meanless. It is what I would refer to as a "half of statistic".

In order for that information to be of any use what so ever we would have to know both the percentage of people who wear PFD's and the percentage of drowning victims who were wearing PFD's. Even then it would have limited use if no stats for size of boats and whether conditions, etc. were not factored in.

Based on your information, 15% of drowning victims were wearing PFD's. If, 10% of boaters wear PFD's and 15% of victims wear PFD's, that would indicate that wearing a PFD makes you 50% more likely to drown. On other hand if 30% of boaters wear PFD's and 15% of victims were wearing a PFD, that would indicate that wearing a PFD makes you 50% less likely to drown.

Knowing that 85% of victims were not wearing a PFD without knowing what percent of boater were wearing a PFD is 100% useless information.

Can you imagine applying this to every little risk you've taken in your life?!

Why would I want to do that? I never have... even by accident... and if I was in the water why would I swim for the shore when the boat is right next to me?

Why do you feel you have to legislate every risk? But that seems to be the modern mind-set, so maybe you're right in step.

Hugs and kisses too. :wub:

All this reminds me of a song I heard a long time ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmExAiCcaPk

... try not to be so effeminate... :rolleyes:

Folks,

We can all agree here that wearing a life jacket/PFD significantly decreases the chances of drowning.

For those that wear their life jackets in their boat at all times, kudos to you! You're doing yourself a favor by minimizing your risk of drowning.

To the machismos out there, in other words, those who are "confident" in their swimming skills, "use common sense" when on the water, blah blah blah, congratulations! You've just increased your chances to be the next headline. Not to mention the trauma, heart ache, and sorrow your family and friends will endure if the inevitable were to happen. Harsh words? Yes. The reality? Absolutely. The same folks that drowned, I'm sure were all "great" swimmers and were "experienced" on the water.

As for government intervention? We can discuss this option until are faces are blue. However, let me remind folks that if an intervention was to be implemented, it would be to coax safe behavior among boaters (no matter what age). That my friends is good public policy.

You can rant and rave and provide snow ball arguments but you would be hard pressed to convince anyone to the merits of not wearing a life jacket...you can try but will fail miserably - up to the point that, like I said, you just might be the next headline.

-Sawyer

A proud supporter that all folks should wear a life jacket/PFD when on watercraft

Folks,

We can all agree here that wearing a life jacket/PFD significantly decreases the chances of drowning.

For those that wear their life jackets in their boat at all times, kudos to you! You're doing yourself a favor by minimizing your risk of drowning.

To the machismos out there, in other words, those who are "confident" in their swimming skills, "use common sense" when on the water, blah blah blah, congratulations! You've just increased your chances to be the next headline. Not to mention the trauma, heart ache, and sorrow your family and friends will endure if the inevitable were to happen. Harsh words? Yes. The reality? Absolutely. The same folks that drowned, I'm sure were all "great" swimmers and were "experienced" on the water.

As for government intervention? We can discuss this option until are faces are blue. However, let me remind folks that if an intervention was to be implemented, it would be to coax safe behavior among boaters (no matter what age). That my friends is good public policy.

You can rant and rave and provide snow ball arguments but you would be hard pressed to convince anyone to the merits of not wearing a life jacket...you can try but will fail miserably - up to the point that, like I said, you just might be the next headline.

-Sawyer

A proud supporter that all folks should wear a life jacket/PFD when on watercraft

I REALLY like this guy!!! :wub:

Edited by GCD

That's a given.. what I'm saying is that is it the right of the government to mandate that you wear it?? I think you should wear it, but is it the governments decision to MAKE it so. Maybe I'm wrong, but common sense shouldn't be LAW, but sense. Maybe there's just a lack of sense today.

OK.. here's another thing.... if an impaired charge in the boat makes you loose your drivers license.. if you get caught without a life jacket will you loose points like a seat belt charge.. they wont bother with your boater card cause that's a fraud. They will just knock points off your DRIVERS LICENSE cause that the only real punishment. I hope you enjoy that!! If they pass this.. there's no going back... whens the last time they repealed a law... wasn't income tax supposed to be a temporary WW2 measure?? Doesn't seem very temporary to me.

To me its the sames as drunk driving.. there's a limit.. 0.08 or something like that.. over that your in trouble.. not any more.. 0.04 now and your in trouble.. and loose your license... whats next 0.02.. whats next.....

This kind of legislation is just the start.. I tell ya what.. I bet ya they don't make wear you PFD or seat belt in Communist China or Russia. But I guess were better at common sense than they are. They must all be stupid and we should enlighten them.

All the little rules add up... must be fun to make them up and get paid for it...