Need some electrical help

misfish

With the new boat, we plan on staying at some transient docks and there are electrical hook ups. I dont have one of them plug in,s on my boat. With the purchace of a few items which require power,I would like to hook up something that would allow me to use the power supplied at the dock and not my cranking battery. I have made up the power cord for the hook up.30 amp 125 volt.(not to worry,it was made waterproof by our resident electrician). What else do I need to do so I can run the power through the boat ,without using up my cranking battery, like I said.

Thanks

Edited by misfish

Let me understand. You are hooking up the power so you can run the boat, eg. using lights through the 125v connection, not the battery. If that's correct you will need a 125V to 12v converter.

Yes, the lights and dvd player and cd player.

125V to 12v converter? Whats involved with this set up? Do I just hook it up to the cranking battery?

Thanks

Edited by misfish

I know ways to do it for my uses. But for your application give the RV stores a call. they use the setup you need in house boats and RV's. All that is requires is a selector switch, which you turn one way for battery and the other to the converter. And of course power plugged in to the converter via a plug.

so you want a 120 to 12v power supply

they aren't cheap..

your lights and dvd are 12v

it would be easier to just bring 120 lights and tv and what not and hook them up to the 120 supply at the dock

or get a good automatic battery charger and hook it up to the batteries

if it doesn't need much power it will supply 2 amps if you need more the charger will increase the amps as the lights and tv need them

so you want a 120 to 12v power supply

they aren't cheap..

your lights and dvd are 12v

it would be easier to just bring 120 lights and tv and what not and hook them up to the 120 supply at the dock

or get a good automatic battery charger and hook it up to the batteries

if it doesn't need much power it will supply 2 amps if you need more the charger will increase the amps as the lights and tv need them

So what you are saying is just put on a onboard charger and let it run the night while we have things on? I bought an extra cranking battery just incase.

Thanks again.

Getting a 120 12v power supply will run you about $50 but a battery charger is almost the same. Terry is right it will be a heck of a lot easier to just get 120v lights and plug them into the supply at the dock. Then you don't have to mess around with the boat wiring.

well yeah if the charger doesn't have the balls to keep up with use, then over night while no power is being used the battery will be charged by the charger..but your lights and tv and dvd shouldn't take more then 10 amps

12 Volt DC Amp Ratings

Appliance or Accessory Estimated Amps

Aisle Light 1 Amp

CO Detector 1 Amp

Fluorescent Light 1-2 Amps

Furnace 10-12 Amps

LP Gas Leak Detector 1 Amp

Overhead lights (Per Bulb) 1 Amp

Porch Light 1 Amp

Power Roof Vent 1.5 Amps

Radio/Stereo 4 Amps

Range Hood (Fan & Light) 2-3 Amps

Refrigerator (LP Gas Mode) 1.5- 2 Amps

Security System 1 Amp

Television (12 volt) 4-5 Amps

TV Antenna Booster <1 Amp

TV Antenna Booster 12 Volt outlet Up to 8 Amps

Variable Speed Ceiling / Vent Fan 4 Amps

VCR Recorder / Player 2 Amps

Water Pump 4 Amp

But if everything runs of the cranking battery,then a auto charger,will do right?

While we sleep the night it will put everything back to norm?

Thanks again.

Yes just make sure the charger has balls and you should be fine.

Do a bit of research when or if you buy an inverter, there are different quality levels, MSW or modified sine wave inverters are not the greatest for electronic items such as microwave/TV/DVd's etc, you are better off with a true full sine wave inverter, they cost more but don't cost you in the long run.

How many batteries are in the boat now? Im assuming just one cranking?

If it was me, I'd add another battery, with a two bank charger. Run all your toys off one battery, crank with the other, and just plug in the charger at night.

The proper way to do it is to get the switch and converter, but thats gonna cost $$.

S.