Tungsten Weights

Lunker777

Hey all

Another "who uses them" question ....

i bought into the "tungsten revolution" here latley.... I bought a pack of 3/8 & 1/2 "Xcaliber" tungsten bullet weights.

Well .... after my first outing with them.... out of the 5 weights I got in the packs ( 3-3/8 and 2 - 1/2 ) ...I have 2 left.... on of each ! It seems like everytime there was any sort of tension... like a hook set... my line would break off..... Im convinced its due to the weights.... I have never had this problem before !

I guess the question is, what kind of luck have you had with the tungsten weights and what is your fav. brand ?

Thanks for looking !

I was texas rigging them !

I've read some reviews on tungsten weights on BPS website.... and some people have had the same problem with the "XPS" weights from bass pro !

I think the tru-tungsten weights are the top line.... all the reviews seem to be great on them... Im ordering a bunch from tackle warehouse and being done with it hahah Lotsa $$$$$$ though....

I use the same ones and never had a problem like that. Was it breaking off at the knot or higher up?

Well Im not sure how to tell.... but it seemed like a pretty clean break... like it was cut.

The first time I got it snagged on some cat tails.... Im using 30# power pro.... When I gave it a yank to get it lose, it snapped.... the second time... I casted it out... sat for a second then I felt a couple taps... set the hook and snap again.... The third time was the same.... :dunno:

Now yesterday... I rigged up a carloina rig using standard lead weights.... it lasted a good while and then on a heavy cast I snapped the line above the swivel... So im guessing when rigging like this, you should re-tie often to prevent line fatigue ?

Were you rigging them correctly? By that I mean... You didn't forget to put a bead on, did ya? I've found that without the bead... a break is bound to occur...

I had a bead on the last time it broke off.... I was trying it for the exact reason... to act as a buffer to prevent the weight from beating on the knot.

Now, I didn't know you had to have a bead each time you tried to texas rig ?

How old/new is your line? When was the last time you changed it?

In theory, putting the bead on should help you... The only thing that I can think of is line... and its age.

Its approx been on the reel for a month and a half maybe ??? I put it on for opener weekend !

You know how power pro fades when it gets wet.... well the line was still nice and dark green !

If I remember correctly, Excalibur tungsten weights come with an internal plastic sleeve that must be in place, or the weights will shred your line. Are you using them? I ended up superglueing them in place. Tru Tungsten weights seem better; I've been using them for several trips now with no problems, but I haven't had a bite recently on a Texas rig to really put them to the test, either.

Edited by Burning Babies

I've never used the Xcaliber weights, only Tru-Tungsten. Tru-Tungsten weights don't have any sharp edges, which is what you should look for on your Xcaliber weights. Also, did you peg your weight? When the weight slides down your line and contacts the the knot, it's inevitably going to fray the line and make your knot eventually fail. Stick a toothpick in the top of the weight and snap it off so the weight can't move up and down your line.

Edited by bdox

You either have a bad batch of line, a bad batch of weights, or knot tieing issues: 30lb PowerPro should not be breaking off even under extremly heavy use. I have 20lb PowerPro on some reels that is 4 seasons old and I don't experience break offs like you have described.

I use tungsten weights for a couple of reasons: increased feel (which I thought was a joke until I fished them) and because I am trying to not use lead when possible.

I have found in the past when using worm weights (especially with braided lines) that after a while if the weights do not have a perfectly smooth edge sometimes over the course of the day it will fray the line...and eventually cause it to snap off. I used to have this problem alot when using a steel kind of weight but I haven't tried the tungsten's.

I have found in the past when using worm weights (especially with braided lines) that after a while if the weights do not have a perfectly smooth edge sometimes over the course of the day it will fray the line...and eventually cause it to snap off. I used to have this problem alot when using a steel kind of weight but I haven't tried the tungsten's.

Yea I could see after a while it would start fraying but it was literally like 10 casts.... if that.

I've just deemed it to the weight... or the knot.... SO I guess ill have to try some other methods and see what happens.

Yea I could see after a while it would start fraying but it was literally like 10 casts.... if that.

I've just deemed it to the weight... or the knot.... SO I guess ill have to try some other methods and see what happens.

Ya it doesn't take long ......once braided line is frayed slightly the integrity of the line is gone.

Just use 65 lb Power Pro and all your problems will disappear! ;) I switched 6 years ago and haven't looked back... I maybe lose 1 hook and weight a year to break off which is always my fault and any other loses are due to filthy toothy critters...

30 pound braid in reeds and bull rushes is pretty light, especially if you're pitching back a ways into them.

JP

Thanks everyone for the comments....

JP, haha maybe I should just find some steel rope and use that ??? haha 65# braid ? hahah I could tie my boat up with it ! hahah

I tried the excalibur weight again last night... I rigger it differently this time....

Carolina rigged.... it went... bobber stop/bead/weight/bead/swivel and I was checking my line after every 2-3 casts for any imperfections on the line and didn't see anything. We'll see how things work out !

I agree with JP, 65lb for sure in the junk. Also agree with them toothy critters, lost 2 a few weeks ago, damn 9 bucks down the drain....

777, you could always go to 20 pound mono, even vanish for a little less stretch. You are only flippin your bait 60 feet at most , more than likely less than 30 feet.

Good luck ,

John

my 2 cents-m not too familiar with the weights but i have used power pro for years and i cant believe you are having multiple cases of the line breaking. i use 20lb and 50lb and i could put it in a dryer full of broken glass and then tow my boat with it. i cant damage or break the stuff, regardless of abrasion or tension. usually the hood straithens, swivels or knots fail. the palomar seems to be the best knot with braided. like i say, not sure about the weights but i get years out of power pro, if it is failing all the time perhaps it is a bad batch?