Folding Boats???

hoot33

I know there is a few members on here that have them. I was looking into one myself before I bought my boat. I found them to be very over priced. I think the bigger 14' is like 2grand. You can get a decent set up for 2grand with a trailer and motor that will last you alot longer in my opinion.

Don't do it!!!

I looked at the original post and started laughing. Sorry man, but what are you going to do with it,stick it in your pocket??

Maybe someone will give him a ride, he obviously wouldn't be looking into it if he didn't have a plan. No need to make fun of the guy!

I've looked in to these as well, I think they would be a nice addition to a camping trailer - easy to attach, wouldn't add a lot of weight and easy to haul around. However, I'm in total agreement with the fact that they are just so overpriced. I would much rather pick up an aluminum with trailer instead.

Solopaddler used to have one of the older ones and said he liked it.

In fact I was talking to him about purchasing a Zodiac fly in trips up here in the NWT and he said the Porta-Boat was a much better choice for flying in. He said that they were very stable, fairly easy to setup an super easy to fly in as they fold and can easily be strapped to a pontoon strut while offering a lot less wind resistance than a tinny, canoe etc. They are quite spendy though, but they do have their advantages.

Solopaddler used to have one of the older ones and said he liked it.

In fact I was talking to him about purchasing a Zodiac fly in trips up here in the NWT and he said the Porta-Boat was a much better choice for flying in. He said that they were very stable, fairly easy to setup an super easy to fly in as they fold and can easily be strapped to a pontoon strut while offering a lot less wind resistance than a tinny, canoe etc. They are quite spendy though, but they do have their advantages.

Yeah bud I had one and I hated it, sold it after 1/2 a season LOL!

I don't think the extra cost would make it any better than a square back canoe with a 2 horse motor.... you could find that sort of setup for about $1000 used, and you can transport it on the roof of a car.

Put the money you save in the bank for when you're ready to go for the real deal!

still not sure about them, might just save for an aluminum

In my opinion there's only 3 scenarios that justify the purchase of one of these boats.

1.You live in a small apartment or something similar and have no room for storage.

2.You do a lot of fly in camping trips.....the boat can go right inside the plane.

3.You own an atv and fish a lot of back lakes....the boat can be strapped to the machine.

Beyond that they're a pain in the :asshat: and for normal use you'd be better served with either a small cartop aluminum or a squareback canoe.

I don't think the extra cost would make it any better than a square back canoe with a 2 horse motor.... you could find that sort of setup for about $1000 used, and you can transport it on the roof of a car.

Put the money you save in the bank for when you're ready to go for the real deal!

Amen. I went from wanting a portable, to buying a 14.5' with a 40hp. Very glad I did what I did.