SK Fishing Report

holdfast

Its been over three years since I had Holidays, March Break 2006 Camp Borden On.

( Not one day sick ,thank you very much)

So I got a weeks Holiday, and off to Big River, 3 hours North ,to my Trailer. The first few days was spent with my daughter, and the rest of the week ,Im going to try some back lakes.

Upon looking at the Topo, I decided to try Mirosty Lake some 100 kms North towards LaRonge. So far so good as I found a trail to the lake that I was sure my truck would not get stuck.

One steep part so Ill keep in mind in case it rains. No traffic here, no phone reception, Id be in trouble if I was stuck.

P8040046.jpg

Beautiful lake and looks like a good site to Camp. So off the gear went, camp and boat set up. Good to go.

SO I THOUGHT

P8040044.jpg

P8040041.jpg

P8040042.jpg

P8040040.jpg

I got out to the lake and was not impressed, Average 6 feet and choked with weeds. An absolute shallow unfishable Lake. So I packed it in and headed back to Big River.

The next day I decided that I would use a canoe and try an unnamed lake that Ive fished before in the Spring. About a 20 minute canoe cart on a little known ATV trail.

P8050063.jpg

P8050071.jpg

Its a beautiful small lake, just perfect for the ultralight

P8050070.jpg

P8040060.jpg

P8040059.jpg

Wow, might of caught one of my smallest pike ever

P8050064.jpg

Well at least I was alone, and the lake was quiet except for the loons

P8050066.jpg

P8050065.jpg

It was getting late but there was a commotion near shore by the wood pile. First cast, a hit and a loss. A second cast, a hit but lost my walleye diver lure to a fish. A few casts later I landed a 4 lb-er which was the biggest pike in this lake that I caught, but alas, my rope stringer and fish dissapeared before a picture was taken, thanks to not tying it on anything solid.

P8050067.jpg

The next night I decided to camp out at Baxter lake with only one walleye to show for for my effort.

P8040047.jpg

P8040050.jpg

P8040055.jpg

P8040056.jpg

P8040061.jpg

However Dugout lake a day later would be my favorite for the trip. Trolling was futile, not even a bite. However I stopped at one spot 16 feet of water and was catching pike after Pike with the ultra lite.

P8070076.jpg

This is a small lake also. Last year I seen a wolf drinking in front of me and today I would see a beautiful buck also drinking.

P8070077.jpg

P8070083.jpg

After a time a could see the bottom and watched as Walleye started cruising towards the shallows. I dangled a minnow and they ignored it. Till I caught this beaut on a cast.

P8070085.jpg

All fish were released as soon as the picture was taken and unharmed to grow for another year,

Edited by holdfast

Nice to do some back lakes every once in a while. Might want to throw a cheap come-a-long in the back of the pickup, cause it would be a long, bug infested walk back to civilization.

Thanks for the nice report!!

[/quotyea, I always thought about getting one. Ill take your advice. THANKS