Sears motors ?

splashhopper

the guy bought a bigger boat and motor.... unloading a 5.5hp sears motor cheap... with an 8foot cartopper boat....

any thoughts on the old sears motor...

(we will be test running it in the river before I drop "all" the money on it..... ;)

I was raised boat smart from my Dad many years ago on a 6 hp Viking motor pushing a 16 ft. Geisler cedar strip..... I may be wrong but wasnt the Viking series a Sears product?

I was raised boat smart from my Dad many years ago on a 6 hp Viking motor pushing a 16 ft. Geisler cedar strip.

I should have picked up on this yesterday!

I can still remember fishing as a kid when my dad had his first motor - a 7.5 Elgin he went halves on with my uncle - and we used to rent 16 ft cedar strips from Laronde Creek Lodge to put it on. I'm not sure if they were Geislers. Not much speed with those little motors on a heavy cedar strip, but we thought it was great! (Early 50's). Those were the days when you could tell the Americans by the West Bend outboards they used to use.

Air cooled I think.

Everyone on the lake will hear you talking to your partner...except your partner.

Friend's dad had an "Elgin" in the early 60's about 5 horse, pretty sure it was aircooled.

Looked identical to the " Eska " brand motors that were advertised in dad's outdoors mags.

Probably they made them for Sear's or so we thought.

I ran a 5.5 Eska for years. Reliable but with a tendency to vibrate the screws loose. Always had to carry a screwdriver to tighten things up when they started to rattle. As already stated, they're noisy. I believe the power head was a Tecumseh from Wisconsin. Should be able to find parts still.

Edited by Bob