Rice Lake August 7th/2009

diggyj

The last couple of weeks have seen me not get out and fish as much as I wanted to.

On the long weekend I had a bunch of family and friends up so I went out for about an hour before I headed back to shore as the skies got very dark in a hurry. 10 minutes after being back on shore the skies opened. So needless to say a long weeked without fishing....SAD

Fast forward to this weekend:

After arriving at the cottage on Friday afternoon, and as usual getting liquored up on the wobbly pops, it was decided to stay on shore rather then head out in the boat. At around 10:30pm I decided to try some night time fishing. I remember having great success years ago in my younger days but haven't done it in a long time. I was excited to see what the night would bring. I decided to go with a favourite lure of mine which was a Jointed Jitterbug in the Perch colour.

75903786.jpg

By diggyj, shot with DSC-W5 at 2009-08-09

After casting for about an hour with no luck, I changed over to again to a Jitterbug, this time in the Coachdog/Orange Belly Colour. I had these lures paired with my Shimano Citica 200E, Shimano Crucial Rod, with 20 lb PowerPro in the Hi-Vis Yellow line.

26651967.jpg

As you can see, these lures have got some mileage on them and I really wasn't sure what to expect. Needless to say, on my 1st cast I catch a small Rockbass.

Then on my 3rd cast as I am slowly reeling in, I feel a sudden strike on the lure and it immediately peels line off so I set the hook and hang on for the ride. Line continued to peel of so I tightened the drag a bit. I then hear a big splash as it makes its first out of water jump. At this point in time I realize that it is a nice sized fish. I assume it could be anything at this point. I reel in some more and as it gets closer it makes another violent jump, then another. As it gets closer I can see the splash and the bright under belly of what I knew was a decent sized bass. Now the adrenaline is pumping and I am excited.

I had no net with me on my dock so as I got it close enough to pull from the water, I hoist it up onto shore and quickly grab its mouth. That probably wasn't the wisest thing to do in the pitch black as I promptly took a single hook from one of the trebles into my finger. After putting up a good fight, the fish had lots of energy left.

I take what I know knew was a Smallmouth into the boathouse for a quick picture, weight and measurement.

Turns out to be my PB Smallmouth. A whopping 21"Hawg that weighed in at 4.4 lbs and had a hefty 13"girth.

94390328.jpg

11392050.jpg

34673435.jpg

Went back to the dock, put her in the water and after moving it around for a few seconds, it made another violent tail splash and swam off to be caught again.

After landing that monster, I managed 5 more rock bass but thats it. Not bad for 3 hours of fishing. 7 fish total and one bloody finger. I don't feel so bad not getting out onto the water during the day now. I will definately be trying out some night time Jitterbug action in the near future. What a night.

Dirk

congrats on your fish

do you usually use baitcasting tackle when fishing jitterbugs? why?

Yes I would say that I would always use a baitcaster when throwing the Jitterbug. Haven't thrown it in a while but i like to cast it out there and cover some water. That way I can cast to each neighbours dock on either side of mine.

Also if you happen to hook into a monster in the complete dark, you want to make sure you can bring them all the way in rather than break of with light tackle.

Dirk

Try throwing a jerk bait at night off your dock, you might be surprised at what you'll catch. Slow retrieve is the key........real slow. They always hit on the pause, and usually close to shore.

I'm surprised your not into more eyes out there, I've been hammering them all season out of rice.

S.