Aug 9 Storm

ohhenrygsr

Has been hitting this area for about a 1/2 hr. Multiple fire alarms going off due to the storm and many downed trees.

Local fire responding to downed power lines the next concession over from me on fire, but have to reroute due to downed trees.

Major lightning strikes in the area but so far power here is still good.

Scanner is showing most local area fire departments are be called out for some reason or another.

Some light rain with a few heavy periods. Winds from nothing to very high gusts on & off.

Rick

Edited by Woodsman

Wicked storm here in Richmond Hill. Finished now. I'm downloading videos right now. I'll post them later.

Tons of lightening and thunder, high winds, torrential downpours. Good stuff ;)

My sister called from Bradford, says she got as close to a tornado as you can get. All her deck stuff gone, flipped, sent flying.

Joey

Rain stopped here & I took a walk outside.

Lots of small branches down & one large one. 30'+ and 1'+ diameter at base. Luckily it fell where it caused no damage. Once cut up it should supply a far amount of fire wood for next summer.

Most of the lightning is south or east of here mostly along the Hwy#2 corridor between London & Thamesford.

Rick

We decided to hit Cooks Bay briefly this afternoon and got off just in time. We ended up towing a boat off that had lost power in Bradford just as we were getting off the water and from the time we hooked our boat to the trailer to the time it was driven out of the launch it got so bad we left it and drove for cover. The wind went from nothing to the point we had to pull our boat in behind another much larger boat as it was staring to get blown off the trailer. Hail, lightning and no visibility at all then all the power around us went out. 5 more minutes on the water we would have been in big trouble.

Well, I started to reply to this thread when the power went out for 3 hours.

I had just pulled into Guelph around 8:30 when the sky went pitch black. By the time I hit Clappison's hill the storm had cut loose. One hour of driving through sheet rain, horizontal rain, blinding flashes, and 101 people who don't know how to drive. Worst section was the lakeshore stretch from the Skyway to Grimsby. Serious flooding in Beamsville. 5 streams run through town, and every one had surged over the banks to flow along the main drag. All part of living at the base of the escarpment.

Edited by bigugli

down here western new york...........we had two major thurnderstorms roll thru yesterday.

The cattaraugus (as many of you may recognize for its steelhead ) is a mess. Boats floating off the mouth into the lake and washing up on shore down the lake (erie), lot of housing damage, state of emergency in some areas..........it rose 5 feet in literally minutes according to the news. One death so far from what ive read.

down here western new york...........we had two major thurnderstorms roll thru yesterday.

The cattaraugus (as many of you may recognize for its steelhead ) is a mess. Boats floating off the mouth into the lake and washing up on shore down the lake (erie), lot of housing damage, state of emergency in some areas..........it rose 5 feet in literally minutes according to the news. One death so far from what ive read.

She peaked at over 32,000 cfs - now that is flying!!!

she sure did, she fishes well at about 400-600 if thats any indication

Yeah, she might be a bit muddy right now! According to the NOAA site, (at the Gowanda gauge) the river peaked at 13.47' which is the 4th highest peak since records were kept.

I barely recognized the lower river this spring after the series of blow-outs from big shots of meltwater...I'm sure that it will look competely different again.

Here two video's I shot. The first one has crappy video shooting at first as one of the lightening's was so close it scared me, but I got my bearings and then there is another very close one at about 1:51 on the tape and I stand my ground.

The second one has alot of lightening and shows the wind and rain.

Cheers,

Joey

Well the clean up starts today. Some tree branches to cut up. Had lighting hit the house on Sunday but the power only flickered. On Monday morning power went out for just under 30 hrs. Apparently the lightning strike damaged the transformer and it gave out on Monday morning. With so many area local power outages one house was not a priority. They replaced the transformer late yesterday morning.

Rick