Algonquin Park - Tom Thomson Lake

Starcraft

Going camping this coming weekend to Tom Thomson Lake in Algonquin Park. I've done some searching and can't find much info about this lake. I'm hoping there will be some nice smallies in there. Anything else would be bonus I guess. So has anyone fished it before?

Thanks.

I fished it once back in May 2004 for trout...Didn't catch anything. According to my "Fishing in Algonquin Provincial Park" book, there's only lakers to be had. If you're looking for smallies, the lakes along hwy 60 are your best bet

Hope this helps

Some Say ...... Tom Thomson!!!

Going camping this coming weekend to Tom Thomson Lake in Algonquin Park. I've done some searching and can't find much info about this lake. I'm hoping there will be some nice smallies in there. Anything else would be bonus I guess. So has anyone fished it before?

Thanks.

I was there the first week of july and caught a bunch of smallies on a white spinnerbait Good luck...

sweet! you just made my day. now i know there are smallies in there. so if i don't catch any, i'll know it'll be my lack of skill... i won't be wondering if there are any in there or not.

I just think of this song whenever I think of Algonquinn Park

Play it every time on the way up dont limit yourself to the smallies try your hand at everything

"I say bring on a brand new renaissance"

i am going to take a shot at lakers, but i have a lot more experience with bass, so if i'm getting skunked with lakers, i'll probably just focus on bass.

I was camping in Algonquin earlier in the year. Since I wanted to travel light for the portages I brought very very limited tackle. Needless to say fishing for smallies was EPIC! I caught them on everything and was one trip I will always remember.

awesome! hopefully i can do as well as you.

• 3 weeks later...

Back from Tom Thomson last week and I thought I'd share my results. Caught lots of little bass on the way to Tom Thomson in the Little Oxtongue river. One huge bass came up for my girlfriends bait as she was reeling it in, but she wasn't paying attention until it was out of the water. We caught nothing at Tom Thomson for about 2 hours and then we found a piece of shoreline where I caught a 1.5 pound smallie. Since we caught something there we fished it for a while and I landed a 3 pounder and a bunch of 1 pounders. All were caught near lily pads, stumps, brush and logs. My girlfriend caught nothing the first day and was pretty discouraged. I fished around our campsite which was on an island and had tons of great structure around like rocks, boulders, stumps, logs but I didn't even get a bite. The next day we fished our campsite area again but nothing. I didn't really get it as there was great structure there, adjacent to deep water, but no bites. As soon as we moved to our piece of shoreline we fished the day before, we started catching fish in numbers. My girlfriend finally caught a couple of half pound bass, and eventually landed a 2.5-3 pouner which was under a log. She was pretty happy about that, as was I since I think I have her semi-hooked on fishing now. I caught another 3 pounder around there and she got what was probably a 2 pounder. I lost 3 or 4 decent fish over the 2 days we were there, one which wrapped my line around some lily pads, the others I lost on what I assume were weak hooksets - they were on ripping out line then they were gone.

Caught no laketrout. Tried the 3-way swivel rig without success. Also tried jigging/dropshotting deeper water for bass, but didn't catch anything that way. Hard to find underwater structure without electronics. All fish were caught in fairly shallow water near some kind of visible structure. I still don't really understand the lake though. There were parts of the lake that were prime locations for bass and there wasn't even a fish there. My guess would be that it has something to do with the fact that the lake isn't listed as having smallies. It's connected to bodies of water with smallies, but there is a beaver dam which blocks off access to the lake. So maybe a small number of bass get in and hang around certain parts of the lake while other parts have no fish. Who knows? Pretty much all the fish were caught on weightless stickbaits or dropshotted stickbaits.