dodge dakota

beertech

looking at buying a dodge dakota. I pull a 17 foot aluminum boat. I am on the fence between a v6 or v8 also 2 or 4wd. My main concern is pulling my boat but still not getting killed on gas milleague. Also does anyone know if the fuel milleage ratings between 2 and 4wd is based on being in 4 wheel drive or whether it used more gas all the time. any other feedback would be appreciated aswell

would you like to buy my 2000 reg cab 5 speed with 74k on it? :D yes, 74k

might as well get the 4x4 v8. the 6 will burn too much gas when towing and there likely isnt much of a difference mileage wise between the 2 for normal driving. maybe the 8 is actually better on gas than the 6?

My personal opinion but, don't buy a dodge.

That answers all your questions right?

I've been told that 4x4's have worst gas mileage all the time not just when in 4x4. You don't need it but it does come in handy and I will never go back to 2wd. I don't think you will have any issues pulling with the six either unless it has very little hp but i highly doubt that these days.

I used to pull a 15 or 17' bass boat with my 2wd ranger all the time. It had a 4.0 v6 in it, no problem. Towed it with the ball in the bumper, brought it all the way from Georgia to WV and that is one mountainous drive. Had absolutely zero problems.

Like the others, i would not buy a Dakota but would buy a RAM over a Silverado.

I would not buy a foreign truck at all.

I bleed Ford blue myself and swear by the F150. Right now there are a lot of good deals on 2004+ in those. I drive a 2WD too and have zero issue (even in winter).

If I were you I'd get a used F150...

I've got a 2001 4x4 V6. It's been a great truck and pulls my 16' Crestliner just fine.

That being said, go for the V8 for better power and mileage, but get the 4x4, you'll thank yourself in winter and at any soft launch.

if you could see my repair bills over the last 9 years , you wouldnt touch a Dodge Dakota. Ive spent probably close to what I paid for my truck in major repairs....... $30000. i would recomend anything but a dodge with 4wd especially for the ramps.Other than blowing my axel in bridgenorth a couple years ago pulling out of a gas station doing 10 km, Never had a problem pulling my boat until last weekend, I had to floor it just to make a hill never had to do that before.more money

As for gas mileage, I get about 400 k to the tank,at 70 bucks a fill.(going rate i guess) but its never been good.

Don't buy a DAKOTA......You've been warned :P

In my opinion when it comes to trucks always always get 4wd and a V8 when possible. I have an 06 4wd club cab with the 3.7 six. It is ok but would rather have the V8 when towing, the truck was a clearance special so it was a deal but had the six. Three years old no regrets and no problems.

well what else is there. I have an s10 now 2000 have put three fuel pumps in it a 900 a pop. canyon i test drove was awfull. cheap in every way. ranger too small nissan not any around that arent huge dollars same with toyotas. dont really want to be climbing into a full size

well what else is there. I have an s10 now 2000 have put three fuel pumps in it a 900 a pop. canyon i test drove was awfull. cheap in every way. ranger too small nissan not any around that arent huge dollars same with toyotas. dont really want to be climbing into a full size

I think if you buy a new Dakota and take care of it you will be happy with it, there are horror stories about every make truck out there. I could tell you one about a Tacoma but what's the sense, there are plenty of good stories to off set the bad. Whatever you buy treat it right and you should have many years of trouble free driving. Like I mentioned my Dakota is 3 years old and it has not had a warranty claim yet and is still great to drive. I have a friend that has an 03 4x4 with about 150k and all it's had is front brakes and ball joints which were replaced for free. I should mention both these trucks are used as trucks not as cars, they both tow and haul regularly, hope this helps.

we have had two dodge dakotas in our company lineup... a 99 and a 2001

both were V6...

both sucked on fuel

both had exorbitant repair bills for "goofy " stuff that should last longer than 80k..

examples:

water pumps on both

ball joints on both

alternator on one

power steering on one

power steering pump on one..

when we got rid of the older one, we picked up a 2004 doge ram 1500- 4x4.... WORSE.... sucked on fuel.. big time

the crazy thing is... when we traded the last one in... we picked up a used Grand Caravan.....

more room.... quieter ride.... pulled our work trailer( 5x10 enclosed.. carrying tools and supplies for tile ad grout)with less "effort" than "the trucks"... go figure :huh:

Edited by splashhopper

Nothin' wrong with this Dakota...

gallery_273_73_14368.jpg

gallery_273_73_64328.jpg

Every truck has problems. I've had this one since new since June 2001 and the only major repair has been a new tranny at about 120K.

What George J said

its all in the way you maintain them

sure there are what you could consider human error assembly weeks

They all have em

I had a 98 Dodge ram 1500, 2 wheel drive with over 450 000 km When I got rid of it in april

It spent more time hitched up than free ride

I changed a couple times the ball joints,once the water pump and fuel pump

Other than that I enjoyed driving it

So this april I went got a Ram Mega cab 1500 4x4

I am quite pleased,its a monster of a truck

I enjoy driving it

just maintain your vehicle and it should last

One thing I will say about Dodge

Dont Dodge that gas station

her just for you from Tybo

3452177779_45b1a6277b_o.jpg

Gezz I think I'll Buy a Dakota. :D:D:D Not a chance. With all the great reports I've read. A friend of mine bought a new one, 2 mouths later wanted to sell it. Sucks gas big time. He can't find a buyer. :angry:

Story of my life, bought it then 6 months later Truck sales plundge, gas prices up.. Truck has more payments left than its worth.

Stuck, Stuck, and Stuck on well.