Big Ski on the Pool

Doctrt

Just got back from a trip to the Pool and I think I made the right call. I had the option to fish tomorrow aft or today aft and with the stable conditions of late and impending rain tonight, it was a no brainer. Get to big musky water ASAP! I hit the water around 4pm and started casting one of my favorite weedbeds with a big spinnerbait, where I had seen some big fish in the past. Notta. I moved over to cast a nearby island to see if I could scare up a pike or two and was again disappointed. As the chop began to pick up a bit I decided to return to the weed flat that I had hit about an hour earlier. I started throwing a topraider and didn't get a sniff. I went to my old faithful, a 9" sledge that I had landed some huge ones with, in the past. On my 5th or 6th cast I hit a small pike about 2-3lbs. On closer examination, I realized he had some gashes on him, possibly from those big muskies. On my first cast back to the same spot - Wham! Big Fish! When it got closer I realized it was very big. Not my biggest, but very big! After about a 10 minute fight, I slid the cradle under her and got a few quick measurements and pics. I put her back in the cradle as I readied the camera for some holds. You never know how they're gonna turn out when you're on your own but they didn't turn out too bad. I took great care to ensure that she kicked away strong and I took one more underwater shot as she did. She came out at about 53.5" with no pinch in the tail and 23" in girth. Enjoy the pics.

T

IMGP3095-1.jpg

IMGP3085-1.jpg

IMGP3080.jpg

IMGP3080-1.jpg

IMGP3081.jpg

IMGP3103.jpg

Tim just on my way out now,all fired up after your post.I have one of your "old faithfuls" in the boat somewhere,I just may have to give her a good washing tomorrow.Great shots and I can't believe the bulging stomach on her.It's one thing to land a big girl like that and another to do it "Han Solo."Glad to hear she swam away strong too.

beautiful fish. Curious - how do you use a cradle by yourself? i find it impossible.

I made a 57" cradle with tubing that floats and a weighted rubberized mesh. I've got one of the tubes tied to the boat with small ropes so when I'm landing a fish, I throw it over board and steer the fish over the openning. It's not simple but it works!

Nice fish for sure. I use a cradle solo too, but I can fit one side of it in my rod holders that run the side of my boat. I need one hand to hold the other side open though.......and one hand on the rod. Its tricky, but doable.

S.

Guest steel'n'esox

Well done on the solo effort, its always rewarding when your plan or decision of where and when to fish comes together with a big beautiful fish like that. I fish muskies alot and this has been my toughest year to date, took a break and fished walleyes one weekend to help build my confidence back up a little. Fish like yours and other board members only help to boost confidence even more. Thanks for the confidence booster, and congrats on the release :)

Nice fish for sure. I use a cradle solo too, but I can fit one side of it in my rod holders that run the side of my boat. I need one hand to hold the other side open though.......and one hand on the rod. Its tricky, but doable.

S.

You prefer it to a net? I have a cradle, no musky-sized net, but was going to pick one up because so many of my trips these days are solo....

S.

my craddle's handles float. no problem to do it by yourself, just have one end tied to the rod holder with a small bungie cord or something so it doesn't float away when you release the fish.

great fish!! I would not of bothered with the measurement pictures on the bottom of the boat, you have nothing to prove to anyone, it's a big fish, nough said.

but again, NICE FISH MAN!

I was asked to add this on to my thread. Tonka-toy and our buddy Davey were inspired after seeing my fish as they said above. After only a few hours of fishing the next evening, Dave was rewarded with his new personal best, this 50" x 23.5" beauty. Looks like those fish really love the prestorm bite. This one was so big that Dave, at 6 foot 3 couldn't even look. Kinda reminds me of the old Six Gun Justice spots from SCTV. Congrats Boys!!

DavesPBAug8-09.jpg

I was asked to add this on to my thread. Tonka-toy and our buddy Davey were inspired after seeing my fish as they said above. After only a few hours of fishing the next evening, Dave was rewarded with his new personal best, this 50" x 23.5" beauty. Looks like those fish really love the prestorm bite. This one was so big that Dave, at 6 foot 3 couldn't even look. Kinda reminds me of the old Six Gun Justice spots from SCTV. Congrats Boys!!

DavesPBAug8-09.jpg

Nice job fellas ive yet to wet a Muskie plug yet this season