9.9 Johnson I purchased

sturgman

Just got off the phone with my buddy, and seems I am the proud new(used) owner of a 98 johnson 9.9 that i made an offer to his father for. He was interentested in buying a new motor and purchased a 9.9 Yammie 4 stroke. He says the Johnson motor is hard to start but when started it runs like a charm.... So its mine now and looking to help figure out where to look. I had suggested to my buddy that possibly there was water getting into the hose or tank, or rather a faulty plug. But all was tested as ok.. Anyone know where I could start to investigate?

If its hard to start but runs well it almost certainly an electrical issue ... plugs or coils/points .. both really cheap to fix...could also just be a matter of fiddling with your choke ... I have found that if you follow the this sequence then it should start most times quite easily ...

a) Prime pump 'till the ball is hard and be sure the cap is loosened (or the air breather cap) on the gas tank - be sure gas line isnt kinked or under anything

B) pull choke out all the way

c) ensure gear lever is in neutral

d) set throttle to fast (at least half way past start)

e) pull once (if it tries to start push choke in and give it more gas right away)

f) if not push choke in half way

g) pull again ... NORMALLY will start right up ...if not check your plugs make sure they are clean and gaped correctly

Those older Johnsons are the BEST ... I own two and you got a STEAL at $200 even if it needs some TLC .... good luck... also ... with the newer 2 stroke oils you dont need to get silly on the mixture ... a little less is actually better ... I go closer to 75 or 100 : 1 ... burns cleaner, less smoke, starts easier and doesnt tend to bog down ... just dont run wide open throttle all the time ...

The oil mix on that new of a Johnson is probably 100:1, I had an early 90's Evinrude that was 100:1.

The oil mix is 50:1. OMC recommended 100:1 from the late 1980's to early 90's. They have since rescinded that recommendation as they found that 100:1 didn't leave enough oil on the internal parts for long term storage.

My evinrude likes to give me a hard time sometimes too. Im pretty sure its because the spark plug gets soaked and then does not want to fire. I checked this once when it wouldn't start, and dried off the spark plug with a lighter and it started right away after that. Wouldn't hurt to run some sea foam through it either.